Terminal Night

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Curiepoint, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Curiepoint

Curiepoint New Member

How did I get here?

I walk along a city street. The waning light of day and burgeoning clouds overhead seem to counterpoint the isolation. This could be any city in any country, yet it is entirely devoid of life. I keep walking with no particular destination in mind, but somehow there is a growing sense that I must get to wherever it is quickly, lest nightfall catch me in the open and unprotected.

God, where are all the people? Have all of them left me to this place to fend for myself?

The river I walk along is angry. It's surface boils and rages with a ferocity I have never seen. Something below is disturbing it's course. It is still daylight; perhaps whatever troubles the water dare not surface until dark. I pause to try and peer into it's depths. Something within me calls my name...

I feel my blood turn to ice. Reflection comes...some answers at last, perhaps?

The faces of my life are summoned to my inward eye. All of them gone from my world. They live still; it's me who is dead. This Purgatory of wind, water, and isolation is a foretaste of what awaits. It becomes clear to me that I have deluded myself into believing that I have been a decent man. Somewhere along my way, I was condemned, and damned. The accusatory eyes of those faces betray no life behind them, and they regard me with angry suspicion. They gather to watch me be dissolved slowly. Christ, can't you all find a TV show to watch instead?

The wind picks up and whips the surface of the river into white-capped fury. No vessel would dare sailing on this place. No bird flies above, no insect flits along it's surface. Where am I? All the signs are written in some otherworldly alphabet. I can't read them. I find no comfort in a human hand having laid them. I thought Purgatory and Hell were full of fire. It isn't. Loneliness and dread are the order of the day.

I turn my back to the river, but I can hear it roiling. It seems to get angrier in my trying to ignore it. My growing dread blossoms into full-blown panic and I run. I know not to where. I can feel hot tears welling and cascading down my face, burning my skin, flaying it from my bones. Desperation overwhelms me. The light fades dimmer, and whatever lives here is preparing to emerge. A feast awaits them in the solitary man who runs along a desert. Yet, I have one recourse...the river.

All that I ever was, all that I have done in service to my fellow human beings is fading from my memory. I am nameless. I bid adieu to whoever that man was. Perhaps someone will remember me someday. I wonder what they will say, in their complacent comfort. Maybe they will remember and laugh as God laughs now. I am the prancing fool, the comic relief to Life itself. Tell me, Lord...have I served this purpose well enough? I ask the question of those faces.

Silence. Always silence.

I hear the stirrings of the denizens of this place. They know where I am, but stay their attack. Fear makes the meat sweeter, after all. There is no quarter to be had here. The time is well near now.

Night has fallen. I am doomed. What art thou Faustus, but a man condemned to die?

<splash>

2. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

beautifull and sad, its very good to write and take the pain away(at least just a little bit). I hope you`re feeling better now.remember you can always come here to fight lonelyness with us=)