Testing

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by bono, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bono

bono Well-Known Member

Does know of any definitive testing methods for bi-polar and schizophrenia? Is technology far enough along that MRI or CT scan will show brain damage and narrow down a diagnosis?

I have been diagnosed with both bi-polar and schizophrenia in the past and have tried everything without much luck. Over a dozen anti-depressants, mood-stabilizers, anti-psychotics and electroshock therapy. All the alternative treatments as well cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnosis, mindfulness, yoga, mediation, exercising, eating healthy, sunlight, etc. I have hated being alive since late childhood (+20 years). Nothing seems to work and I don't think the professionals can even figure out what's wrong with me. You can fix something before you know how its broken, and all this diagnosis thought talking about feels and mood is bullshit. It's 2013 there should be blood work testing to figure out what's wrong with people by now.

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi. I do not have first hand expereince with either bp or schizophrenia. But there is a place I heard about that claims it does state of the art diagnostic testing on the brain. The name of it is The Amen Clinic. There are not many of these clinics around. But you can google it. It did look interesting to me. Although I have never met anyone who was a patient there.

If you have schizophrenia... or hear voices ( which is not always schizophrenia of course) and have not had any relief using any of the rx medications, you might try checking out a website called intervoice. It is a community of people who hear voices. It looks really good. I think there are suggestions there by people who have tried the medications with no success. It is not suggestions from professionals though. Just community suggestions. I cannot say how valid any one of them is. Also many people there I am sure do go the rx route with success. I think its a mix of people. you might also check out the website hearing voices network. They have a forum. I do not know how active it is. But it might be worth checking out. I think both websites I talked about have forums.

I do know it can be a bit of a challenge to find a medication for bp that does not increase the schizophrenia symptoms. I do hope you can figure something out. Confirm the diagnosis, or get correct dx, if you are doubting the original one. And also find the right medication so you can get some real relief. I do wish that the science of the brain etc was more advanced and comprehensive. Wishing you the best :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  3. bono

bono Well-Known Member

TYVM for the quick reply. It answered this question by taking me to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_Clinic)

"The American Psychiatric Association have criticized the clinical appropriateness of Amen's use of brain scans, stating, "the clinical utility of neuroimaging techniques for planning of individualized treatment has not yet been shown.""

So neurology isn't quite there yet. Not that the benefits of psychiatry or psychology couldn't be brought under serious scrutiny, barely out preforming the placebo effect.

4. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Bono, I have been suffering from bipolar and schizophrenia for over half of my life. I've been on almost every kind of medicine for it, but there is no miracle cure. I even had ECT also. What seems to happen is that my psychiatrist will experiment on me for all types of combinations of meds and some work but some don't. Also, one can build tolerance to the meds and even have adverse reactions to them. Right now, I'm stabilized on my current meds, but I know there's no guarantee that it will work forever. Medicine isn't the only answer though. I have been in many outpatient group programs and I take a little of what I have learned, but not until lately did I take the advices seriously. I am now applying them earnestly and with the help of this forum, I have found out it has been making me a lot more stable. Yes, I still have my days and that's when I have to determine if I need hospitalization as a last resort. I have had MRI's and CT scans on my brain and everything always turn out normal. I know I have chemical imbalances in my brain that has made me sick for all these years. The meds are supposed to substitute for the loss of chemicals missing in my brain that normal people usually have that regulate their thoughts and mood. I believe it's supposed to be heriditary or stress from trauma. It's complicated to find what works for one person but doesn't work for another. It's all trial and error. I feel like a guinea pig. I wish you will find the right combination eventuallly, but please don't give up your life for you never know what might help you in the near future. There's so many research going on about the brain and I have to have faith that there will be a solution to all our troubles. I wish you well.

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

yes. the things I spoke of will not be endorsed by the AMA/APA. quite the opposite actually. The AMA/APA would not approve. wishing you the very best in getting the help you so deserve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.