The Amnesia Thread

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by j86, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else here suffer from amnesia?

A while back, my therapist told me that depression can lead to memory-loss, and in a way that's what happened to me (but not literally).

Depression became all of me one day (around spring '07) as I was sitting outside. My mom was constantly bugging me about doing something with my life. That hurt me because she was crying. I hate seeing my mom cry (she doesn't as much anymore). I don't like seeing my family hurt and I know she didn't mean to bring me down that much but it really killed me inside.. felt like I was worthless and doing nothing. Which was true at the time.

Anyway, I finally had enough and I started beating myself up about it (literally). I ended up on the concrete with my right side of my skull hurt. The doctor told me that I was now a wee bit deaf in my right ear. It wasn't until a couple weeks later I began to develop a sort of memory loss. It was kind of embarassing (and still is) because now people consider me "ditzy" and forgetful. But it's not my fault.

Finally, the end results, i'm afraid I will soon forget to play my instruments (piano, guitar, harmonica, drums, bagpipe). Instruments and music is me. That's what created me. I have forgot a lot about my guitar but as long as I know how to play the piano, I can remember anything instrument-wise. The piano is the key to any instrument.

So, my doctor said I have a form of anterograde amnesia. Which means, I can't recall newer events. (such as appointments - i have to program them in my cell phone) However, my doctor says I have a formed development of retrograde which is hard to recall some past memories, but he says it's not permanent and will go away in about a year looking at my health.

To be honest, I don't really care. This may be just depression speaking but nothing really happens in excitement these days for me. I'm just glad I can remember the past - the good days, they say.

So, has anyone else experienced a long-term or short-term memory loss? I'd love to speak to others on here (if it's possible) that have a long-term too. I just want to know how any of you deal with it.

Take care,
  2. incognito

incognito Well-Known Member

So, if I have a conversation with you today, you cannot recall it tomorrow? Is anterograde amnesia permanent? The way I understand it is you fail to encode information from short-term memory to long-term memory, is that correct? Also, what about working memory, is that effected?
  3. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

The way I have come to experience it, it has to make a huge impact on me to remember. Say this forum for instance, I can't forget it because I leave major traces. I have it bookmarked and I can read what i've wrote and remember. I mean, i've never experienced "not remembering the forum" but if I did, I would have the clues to remember and say "Oh, okay I kind of remember now".

Anterograde amnesia can be both permanent and temporary. My doctor said that people who experience anterograde for a temporary time could be due to a heavy drug use or a car accident and the victim snaps out of it. The reason I have permanent (for me, not saying for all cases) is because I hurt both my brain and skull and I bruised it to the point that the memory is forever damaged, it's hard to explain.

As for working memory, I don't know if all cases are like this but I do have trouble remembering, so that automatically affects my learning ability. For example, classes at campus - i'm having such a hard time struggling that I will have to talk to my Academic advisor about it this week. I do have books, however if I do not write notes, i'll forget what to do as soon as I get home.
  4. incognito

Don't worry, I understand the physiological part. You have damage to areas of your brain that are responsible for processing memories, more specifically the hippocampus. (Are there any SF users who know Cognition?) Wow, I am amazed that you are handling do you do it!? About working memory, if I asked youto learn a string of numbers like 4435-2678, could you do it?
  5. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

I am really trying my hardest to stay in college.
    This is my second time going but I have a feeling I won't be staying long.
    I wish I could say differently but maybe if I can get the help I need, it will be better but I have no answers to that for a while.

As for the 4435-2678, i'll get back to you on that. I can remember numbers from the past, like my cell phone number house number but a new number i'm not too sure off.

For example, I can remember much in my math class when it comes to numbers because I remember doing it in the past.

However, when it comes to new information, I might have a problem.
  6. incognito

damn, this forum is really distracting, i've got a shitload of studing to do. i'm in college too. (don't take that the wrong way, keep posting, i will reply, and you're welcome to PM me.) I wish you could stay in college. does your institution have a disability services/center?
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I do have some kind of memory problems as a result of either my epilepsy or the medication I take for it. Some of it could just be natural as well. I don't really know for sure because I've had epilepsy for about 20 years.

But my memory is basically useless. You can tell me something and an hour later, I probably won't remember it. I might remember that you told me something or the general idea of what it was but the details are just gone. I barely remember yesterday. I couldn't tell you what I was doing yesterday at this time.

I think the problem I have is similar because I do remember stuff from years ago much better. All I can do is sympathize. I don't know much about it. I've looked into it but, of course, have forgotten what I read.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.