The anatomy of a ...toothache. lol

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ToHelp, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hello!

Well about five weeks ago now I had a tooth which abscessed on me. This is where infection gets right down there deep in (and below) the canal.

Cheapest option is extraction or if you have a loose $700 to spare these days that tooth can be save via a root canal, which is actually a very simple procedure. The infected pulp is removed and a botanical substance called gutta percha is replaced under strictly sterile conditions. A course of antibiotics is given and within a week nowadays with the advancements in dentistry you can have forgotten the entire thing.

OR -

If you're like me, it's possible (and risky) to bear the course of the infection, as it can believe it or not self-resolve. Yes, the body can overcome an infected tooth so long as the abscess doesn't spread (sepsis) and put you in the hospital.

I've actually outlasted these things now for the past 15 years. While stubborn and excruciating, I liken it to our natural abilities to overcome addiction and sometimes, even outlast depression.

It's been about 10 days now and the thing has just completely cleared up. That blows my mind, the natural resilience of the human body. Seriously. Amazing.

Right so this was set to be a MUCH longer post involving mental health but I'm essentially splitting it for readability; the rest will go up shortly.

Oh and yeah that was one HELL of a rough 3 weeks or so. lol

:unsure::huh: ToHelp

2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Ouch!

Just keep a feel out for fever, swelling, headache, mate.

But seriously, you win the excruciating trial of pain award. :laugh:

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm there right now. Had 7 teeth worked on and 5 have gone abscessed. OUCH! Even with the antibotics not much relief. But I am actually starting to not notice the pain as much. Guess like so many things in life you just learn to live with it. Been about I think 5 weeks now. I know I should go get them pulled or something but I keep thinking going there in the first place is what caused all this (lol).

4. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Feel better soon.
    Toothaches are the worst. :hug:

5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Lord Carla. I can't even imagine that distress. I can do one and I might brag a little (stupid) but five would send me to the dentist, cost be damned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.