The Army and Suicide.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Armyguy, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armyguy

Armyguy Account Closed

I am a soldier for the United States of America. I say this because I am proud of my fellow brothers and sisters who have served, are serving, or gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I recently fought one of the hardest battles I have ever fought, killing myself. I wanted to end the flashbacks, the nightmares, and knowing every waking moment was going to be horrid. I intentionally didn't sleep because I knew the demons of my past were there, waiting for me.

I feel like I am one of the lucky ones. I had several forum members send me messages offering their help and support. I want to thank all of you for offering to help me. I met someone here whom I clicked with instantly. They seemed to understand what I was going through and they willingly put their own issues to the side to help me. This person gave whole heartedly and never asked for anything in return. Thank you, so much, you know who you are. Even in my darkest times, you found a way to make me smile. You are a very special person and I will return the favor if you ever need it. While I will not get into a political debate regarding the war on terror, I am proud knowing that, in some small way, I have made the world a safer place for the people here. People who were willing to give up their own time, and talk about things that may strike a personal chord within themselves, to help a total stranger.

The Army just released this article that I thought I would post here for the people on the forum as well as any active duty men or woman who may look here for help. The long of short of all of this, and how it applied to me, is simple.

The topic that is avoided in this article, and the singular group of soldiers whom were not spoken to (to the best of my knowledge noone who deployed 6 times or more were contacted) is those of us who have been deployed non-stop and how it affects us. Again, thank you.

Here is the article.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/17/army.suicides/index.html

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am not surprised by the findings in this article. One cannot understand the hell these people deal with in their lives. The horror of what they see is not easily forgotten. Those waiting to deploy have heard what awaits them. For some, the fear is too much to handle. The battle never ends, even when the fighting does.

3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Thank you for serving.

4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I second that sentiment.

5. xChristina

xChristina Active Member

third ^

You are the people who give your lives for your country. You should never feel like you have to take it away. <3

6. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Good to hear you feel better.

7. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Thank you so much for all you've done. And I'm so glad you've found someone that makes you happy!!!

8. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Hey Armyguy,

Just wanted to add my voice to all those before me and thank you. The sacrifices you guys make to protect your country commands respect and an ordinary thank you almost seems hollow - meaningless. But nonetheless, its the best I have to offer.

I'm glad to hear you've found someone to help you through this. It's amazing how much of a difference someone can make by just listening. I hope this is a turning point for you. I really do! Just be patient, sometimes these things can take quite a while to heal. Keep coming on here if you find that it helps.

Take care and all the best!

Max

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm so happy that you have been able to find some support, advice, caring, friendship and most of all hope from being here. Although when you first come here, you may feel so alone with your pain. But you soon realize this is a community of people that all suffer in one form or another. And when you can find some relief for yourself by posting and letting things out, it not only helps you but you may unknowingly help yet another member. Really am so happy that you've found a turning point. And that you know you will have support and understanding always when you are here, to keep helping you along your journey to recovery.

And yes, oh yes, like so many others have said... Thank you. For your service and efforts to protect your country and others. It must be so difficult hearing so many negative comments about the whole campaing and how many people are losing faith in the reasons for being there any longer. But please understand, it is the reasons for our service men and women being there that many question. NOT the effort that you and your fellow company are putting in every single day. That without question is appreciated by every single soul that gets up each morning and live the lives they have because of the service that you and those before you have given on behalf of your country. Be proud of what you have done for soooo many others!!!!

Now please keep moving forward with the new found hope you have gained. And never ever hesitate to lean on those here when things seem to be a little slow going on the steps to move forward!!!!

10. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Hi Armyguy. My Brother served in the USMC for six years in the reserves, infantry. He never saw combat but even in his limited service he almost lost a limb to infection while training in Panama and helped save a fellow Marine who lost his leg in a gruesome training accident firing mortars.

I am very proud :patriot: of my Brother's service and you are a hero to sacrifice so much for our country. :smile:

11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi AG...please allow us to serve you as you ar serving our country...keeping you in my prayers...big hugs, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.