The art of missing people.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SmolderingIce, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmolderingIce

SmolderingIce Well-Known Member

I've moved 2 times before in my life, and I'm about to move again at the end of this summer. This particular time, I don't want to move. I have one year left of school, and I don't want to uproot my life here..

But, as much as I want to stay here, I don't think that I'll miss the people here when I'm gone. I can take long trips and not miss home, or the people at home. I don't miss family members when they're away on business or something.

Is it weird not to miss people? I'm afraid of not missing people after this move, because how can I say I care about people when I don't have that internal desire to see them ever again..
  2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Abbey, I know what you mean.. My dad was military so we moved every two years..He finally got out of the service and we settled down here in Florida.. My sisters and brother finished school so when my dad got a job in Texas I was forced to move again.. I had to leave my GF and friends I made..When I got to texas I had no friends... So I started smoking pot..Then I made aquaintances.. I won't call them friends because they were always trying to get me into fights..So I never had a chance to make good friends and never had a best friend..I haven't made good friends until I came here on the forum.. I even made a best friend.. We have never met in person but we email each other dailey..So don't let where you live tie you down.. You won't miss anyone..The only cool thing of us moving every two years was seeing two different countries..and five different states..Those are memories I hold onto..
  3. treasureBelle

treasureBelle Member

I don't tend to miss people either. This quite upset my family when I went to uni... my mum would call me every few weeks wanting to know I was OK, and I was totally fine, I just hadn't called.

Even when I was little, I would go off to nursery/school/friends' houses without so much of a backwards glance.

Sometimes there are times when there are people who just happen to be in your life, eg people at school or wherever, who you don't miss or think of etc when you move away or go off and lead different lives.
    It's not always a negative... so long as you're OK with it yourself. When I was in sixth form (last 2 years of school) there was a girl who had come from another school who chose not to go to prom. In her view, she'd only come to the school with the objective of passing her exams, and since she'd done that, she wasn't that bothered about going to prom with a lot of people she didn't really care about (though had no hard feelings towards) and wasn't going to see again.

I don't really see it as a bad thing.
    Travelling and living in different places can be a great experience, broadening your horizons and giving you different perspectives. I lived in Amsterdam for 3 years as a kid, and then moved around several times after we got back to England due to my dad's job. Like Stranger said, I got the experience of living in some really great places. Some people I know never got that, and don't know how to live anywhere but where they grew up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.