The "bag" thought

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Atheist Demon, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

I never really had a good relationship with my uncle, but he said something that made me think, made me feel better, and I hope I will never forget it.

On December 23, 2008, I was thinking about killing myself that day, and I went with my mom to the hospital to check on my aunt who was having surgery on her knees. My uncle and aunt was in the room when we arrived. (My mom sgot their first cause I had to use the bathroom.) And we talked, as a family. I told him that I might end my life today (Dec. 23) and he talked to me and said that will hurt us a lot. Then he said, that when he was in church, the minister said that we sometimes think that everyone has it better than us. But ppl only see the surface, and we don't know what is REALLY happening. He use a VERY useful metaphor, about if we could put all our problems and issues in a brown paper bag and hold it up to each other. We would keep our paper bag. What he meant is that some ppls issues are worse than ours.

I thought of this when I was talking to 'wastedmylife" on a thread I made earlier. He said that he would trade his troubles for mine. But when it comes to it. We ALL have issues. Trouble affects blacks, whites, latinos, asians, indians, native americans, arabs, gays, straights, bisexuals, christians, muslims, jews, atheists, agnostics, rich, middle class, poor, and all in between. When makes us better if we can stand to our problems and deal with them. I hope that everyone here can do that. I love all of yall, and if you believe in God, keep me in your prayers.

~Bryant.

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Bryant,
    I have different beleifs than most others. But that aside I am glad to see you post!! It's been a while and i'm glad that you have reached out again.. Your uncle sounds very wise!! I know you are shy and have trust issues but you do have friends here at the forum and it does us good to see you are still with us!! You can always PM me if you get that depressed. I will try and help you to cope with whatever problem is dragging you into that darkplace that I know very well. I'm sure if you stay on the forum and talk with others you will find thesupport that you need. It keeps me going on a dailey basis..Take care!!

3. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Hi Bryant,

That's a damn fine sentiment that everybody can take home with them :)

Thanks. Your post made me smile.

James.

4. Atheist Demon

Thank you Stanger, I am glad I feel welcomed. Cause at first I felt that I was a big complainer and was getting annoying, and also thanks for opening up to me.

Your welcome ^_^, I was thinking about that, cause I use to think that everyone lived better than me, and now I see that everyone goes through drama.

5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the parable where the guy says, "Lord? My cross is too heavy to bear." At which point God leads him into this room full of crosses of many sizes that other people must bear in life.

Some are smaller than his. Some are similar. And some are just HUGE by comparison.

The guy gets the lesson, and even comes away humbled and grateful for the cross he has to bear.

:) John

6. Atheist Demon

Even as me being a non-christian, that was a great metaphor.

7. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

hey AD.. nice point and hello x welcome back

8. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Yes, powerful metaphor indeed - I believe in no "god" either, but the parallels were striking. The lesson, or moral, is the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.