the benefit of talking?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by magd1982, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magd1982

magd1982 New Member

Hello all,

first post here. Been lurking for a few weeks trying to get things straight in my head. It's all still rather incoherent so I hope this comes out right.

Well naturally as I'm here I'm feeling rather bad about things. For me it has been years in the making. I've tried positive action to turn things around but each time it has failed and each failure has made me feel worse than I did before. I've also tried being passive on the off chance that things somehow turn themselves around but they haven't. Deep down I think I've more or less given up and I just don't think I have any fight left in me and more and more my thoughts are moving from how I can make things better to how I can just finish it all off once and for all.

But here is what I'm wondering. I suspect like most people here I don't really want to end things - I just want life to work. It just isn't. I cannot keep going with things as they are indefinitely but I want to explore every option before I finish things myself. The thing I'm struggling with a somewhat is the help that is out there. Particularly talking about things. You see the way I look at it, and I hope I don't seem too coarse here, is that frankly I can talk about things until I am blue in the face and I can have people who care about me coming out of my backside but I just don't see how it changes facts and how things actually are. I don't really want to turn to my friends because firstly I don't want to place that sort of burden on them and, let's be realistic here, society may have progressed somewhat over the years but I will still have to bear a serious stigma if I do. If I turn to some sort of professional I really just don't see what they can possibly do or say. Whatever happy pills they dope me up on or whatever platitudes they say to me about how things might turn around it really doesn't make things better in itself.

I know I probably sound rather vague but I hope I have made sense and any feedback or suggestions regarding what help there actually is would be very much appreciated

Thank you :smile:
  2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Meds and therapy aren't going to magically fix your problems, but they can help increase your ability to cope with them.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I thought I had a pretty good, although a little long, response for you, but the above post by "Junkie" summed it up better so I would just second that one. Just to add a thought based on your title, if you're uncomfortable talking to your friends or therapist, then this forum is excellent based on my own experience and those of others I've spoken with here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey they were my sedaments too. What is the use in talking it won't change anything. I know the issues how is talking about them going to change what happened. Just know if you get a good therapist it does help and although i fought medication at first i now see how it can calm me so i can talk more easily. Talking about things to a professional helps put things in the right perspective it helps because they are able to make sense of our thoughts. Sometimes our thoughts are so clouded we just don't see clear Give therapy a chance and medicatioin and see where it takes you I think you will be grateful you did. If you can find just one person to trust it will be worth it.
  5. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Therapy and meds do take a while to fully kick in and they can't magically solve a problem, as previously said, they can only help you cope with a problem. I find that this forum helped me a lot, being able to vent in my own diary or get people's advice proved invaluable, so that could be an option to help you with your problems. But i would stick at therapy and meds, they just take a while to settle in :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.