The best thing you have learned in the last 10 years?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Personally I have learned so much in the past 10 years, some good/some bad. The best thing I've learned is something controversial 1 in 4 people are sexually abused at some point in their lives. I find that figure staggering and I have this link to back it up http://www.oneinfour.ie/ The website may also help you. And in the past 10 years I have realized what happened was not my fault and he is a paedophile....there isn't really much to say about that, I still do get flashbacks but I've learned I'm not dirty or a failure or ruined, I am who I am and if people don't like it that is their problem. I hope that one day they will start teaching about sexual violence/domestic violence in schools because at a statistic of 1 in 4 it is definitely needed.

:feedback:

2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

So sorry you had to endure that. Then you have to live with the after effects for the rest of your life. It truly is horrible. I wonder if it has somehow contributed to all the kindness you share with others on this site. That is probably stretching things to look for a positive side to things, but we are glad you are here even though we wish you didn't have to be.

There is a story in the USA about a student at a university dorm who was gang raped by 7 men. And the men get away with it. There are some very serious things wrong with this world.

3. Donnanobispacem

Donnanobispacem Well-Known Member

When you think we live in a supposedly more enlightened part of the planet and look at the women, even children, in say Muslim countries who are routinely raped by soldiers as control and punishment...the world is seriously wrong as Sillyoldbear said.

It's hard to believe we can have all this life-enhancing technology alongside such animalistic immature evil, but we do.

Good luck with your continued recovery from abuse Petal.

4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I don't know best thing for ten year span. Most productive learning i did recently was to look up how to tie a number of useful knots. Like the bowline knot. Bowline knot creates a loop at the end of a rope that won't tighten under load, so the loop stays the same size and is always easy to untie. I use it all the time with hobby projects. Other one is the monkey ball or monkey fist or something i forget the name. You use that one to make a ball at the end of a string. Mostly use that one on jackets to tie a string on to the handle part of a zipper.

5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I've become more wiser with money as it doesn't grow on trees and to live more simpler life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.