The best way to live to me it seems.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I have been depressed and suicidal for years now, and I think I may have found the answer. The answer is just to live life without hope. For me it is to finally come to terms that there is no hope for me. If you can lean to live without hope than you want have those expectations, you want have that "desire" to be something better. You want have that desire to have someone in your life. You will come to terms that you are alone, you have nothing, and never will.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think when people truly live without hope, they revert back to their natural state, which is a state of peacefulness.
  3. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i have times without hope, but i find instinctively hope comes around again. it's just a matter of when i see it, or maybe it's when i'm lookin'. i don't know
  4. HomerSimpson

What do you think, is it a good thing than?
  5. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I don't understand this :S surely having nothing to live for and look forward to would make you feel depressed as well?
    I think desires and hopes are as vital to a person as food and water......even if it's just somewhere you can escape to in your mind for a while.
  6. HomerSimpson

The way I am looking at it is if you have no hope than you want expect anything, therefore you wont be let down which usually sinks me even deeper into my depression.
  7. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

Inevitably, though, one would start to get "bored" with life if they lived like this. And that usually just makes depression worse.
  8. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I think you need to combine both angles together. Not expecting anything high whilst also going about your life may seem like a combination that is ideal.
    The truth is that you should choose what you think suits you best. We're all individuals and therefore we all have our own ways and outlooks in life.
  9. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

I am losing hope every day and it is not comforting or liberating. It feels like the end drawing near.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I feel that I'm making a lot of improvements recently. And this is because I've developed some sense of hope. I'm not much of a person, but I think I can do some exercise and be a bit healthier, or read a book and be a bit more educated... ok I'm never going to amount to much but at least I can improve myself, why do I have a body? why do I have a brain? Maybe for no reason but I must make the most of them, and unless someone can suggest a better way to live my life, then I think that's a good thing. It's true that I've come to terms that I'm alone, but I don't have nothing... I have me, and I have to try to accept who I am, and improve myself in small, realistic steps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

What I think you are talking about is actually the Buddhist approach of non-attachment to the things of the world. It's not really hopelessness, per se, but achieving a state of detachment so that life's ups and downs don't affect you so profoundly.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

To learn to achieve the cessation of suffering, Buddhists follow the Eightfold Path.

1. Right View -Wisdom
    2. Right Intention
    3. Right Speech -Ethical Conduct
    4. Right Action
    5. Right Livelihood
    6. Right Effort -Mental Development
    7. Right Mindfulness
    8. Right Concentration

The Noble Eightfold Path describes the way to the end of suffering.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Yes, but "non-attachment" is not about not caring, or not striving or not having plans or goals. I mean the Dalai Lama says that we should try to achieve happiness in our lives and the lives of others, and we have to work at compassion towards ourselves and others. Buddhism is not so much what you believe but how you live your life, hence the Eightfold Path. So my hope and my goals are to live this sort of life, to simply say I have no desire or goals seems to be a pointless way of living my life.
  13. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

I feel the same a lot of the time too HomerSimpson. The more we hope, the more we suffer. We keep desiring and like Anastasia mentioned about the Four Noble Truths, desire leads to suffering. I remember a time in my past when I stopped worrying about not finding someone and stopped caring about the future and I felt so at peace with myself. It's liberating and I wish I could go back. But to hope, to feel desire for something, anything in life, is what may be the product of all that may be good in this world. All art and creation and music and poetry, all invention and philosophical thought. I'm going to contradict myself though, because like you, I desire to not have anymore hope. To just move through life without care about anything. It may really be the best way, especially for those who have a hard time of life as it is. I don't know how to obtain it unfortunately, but I think Buddhism and/or Taoism is a good start.
  14. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i believe that if we dont have hope, and something good does happen,
    then we'll be happy for a while. but what happens when the good goes
    away? then we're back to having no hope and trying to get rid of the
    hope all together
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.