The Body (of it all)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prof.Bruttenholm, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Hello, like many of you, I have my own self-esteem and body issues.
    Even with some acceptance of who I am, I still want to change though at this point it is primarily for health reasons I want to also change to feel better about myself emotionally.

Both genders suffer from body issues, commonly weight based stigma but there are others, height, complexion, and more.
    Many of us may not put others down for how they appear because we've dealt with similar situations but it is best also to help those having issues, to make them understand that they can be beautiful in their own way or if they choose to, change how they appear but do it for themselves and not simply to satiate others to comply with a social expectation of how some should look which off contradicts itself anyhow.

Whether it is society or nature that drives us to almost compete against one another, we who have felt the sting of social alienation due to our body types, whether heavy, tall, short, well endowed or under endowed, we are each unique and still human.

Feeling comfortable with ourselves physically is a good first step to feeling comfortable with ourselves emotionally.

I have personally known many who have accepted themselves and are much happier now for it.

2. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

what are you asking here?

not sure i understand

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Changing for health reasons is fairly common, and often sensible depending on the health issue behind it.

Learning to accept ourselves for who we are/how we are, is a pretty common struggle through most people with depression. There are some who are the flip side and over-confident about their looks, but for the most part, there is that inward step "oh I'm fat, I'm ugly, I hate how I look." Often in these situations I find that it's to do with comparisons to others whether it's by oneself or others, that lends itself to being ingrained and believed to be true. Comparing ourselves to others can bring about jealousy as well as anger/frustration, but it serves to be more harmful than it is productive.

Something that one of my brothers is a believer of - and being a personal trainer helps him there - is that a healthy body promotes a healthy mind. Maybe we should accept that we are different more than trying to conform to societal regulations of what's "normal". What is most normal? The fact that we're predominantly all different....

4. Mayflower7

Mayflower7 Banned Member

Hi,
    I hope you are able to become more happy with yourself, people are cruel. Good luck with any diet reduction plan.
    Thanks for the information as well.
    Take care
    Kate

5. Prof.Bruttenholm

Not asking anything, just putting a small forum out for people to discuss their individual self-esteems and physical states to show we're all different and that just because we are different it doesn't make us ugly.
    A good chance for people to share and to grow from it.

6. meaningless-vessel

I think it's an interesting choice of topic - rare for what i've seen here anyway.

Society tries, through rules and regulations, to organise chaos. But when chaos is normal - through the differences we all have - does that make organising it less natural, less normal?

I often got verbally bullied for wearing glasses and being a class A nerd at math - so much so that in a christmas bazaar fundraiser at my primary school (I was 10), I was part of a stall called "beat the human calculator". Never mind that progressed to the next level knowing no-one to start with, them all taking potshots because of my uncanny nature to frequently top the class. But, I also dealt with verbal bullying from siblings, so I wised up to it, letting it go in one ear, and out the other.

Nowadays, I have no teeth. I am susceptible to having the sound of a slight lisp on my 's' but many people do not realise until I point it out. However, being in karaoke's where people used to mock me for my degenerating teeth (it was likely to be a mix of hereditary as well as not looking after them properly - my dad and my mum's mum had dentures quite young), I ended up being called all sorts of nicknames.

Of the two "issues" I have described, neither of them faze me. I guess I'm more open minded to the fact that it's their opinion, they can joke, but it won't hurt me. Although I do wonder if I had teeth would I succeed in more interviews...

7. Prof.Bruttenholm

My grandfather had a similar issue, though his was a gum disease.
    He lost his teeth before he was 25 but still lived a full and happy life, married to the same woman until he died (the marriage was almost 60 years), ten children, never had too much trouble finding work.
    So don't let anything slow you down.

I mean...Stephen Hawking can't move any part of his body and he is considered so intelligent that he can't have an IQ test because no one is smart enough to measure his score.

I know on this site we often deal with mental/emotional issues but sometimes learning to better accept or handle physical issues can be helpful.
    I am very large, I have been for a long time, I also look older than I am so it has made meeting people, being a kid when I wanted to or just going places difficult.
    I didn't fully understand why people thought it was strange an 11 year (who I didn't fully understood looked about 17 or 18) wanted a particular toy.
    I was about 5'10'' by the time I was about 10.

8. meaningless-vessel

I think there's an optimism about some of the quotes I find appearing through my oldest brothers "facebook" images that he uploads/shares.

The latest two are...

"Being challenged in life is guaranteed. Being defeated is optional."

"Strength doesn't come from doing what you can do. It come from overcoming what you once thought you couldn't" -Rikki Rogers

He is a qualified personal trainer too, so I can expect to find more inspiring quotes to share through.

Anyway - babble over...

5'10 at age 10? I knew a lad who was around that at age 11/12. He once booted me in the shin because I'd been allowed to join in playing "tennis ball soccer" - and he didn't like that.

Looking older? I can sorta understand that - some have placed me at over 30 and I've got 17 more months to go first. Maybe it's because I don't use the products that "help look after skin" - or "drink 2ltrs of water a day".

As for the stephen Hawking reference - is it possible that the more intelligent someone is at one or two specific areas, the more of a likelihood there is for potential depression? I ponder that question a lot lately.

9. Prof.Bruttenholm

Well I am just using my self as an example but women and men both deal with physical issues, young or old.
    I have met all kinds of people who've grown up with different issues but have taken what were treated as weaknesses in the past and turned them into strengths.

Even something as simple as hair can be a defining point for some on peoples genders or sexuality and yet I myself have long hair and am a straight man while I've met women with short hair who are not homosexual and are very beautiful as well.

Social norms seem to be applied to only a few so why do they need to be applied at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.