The Bridgend suicides - is it right to blame the net?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by TheWr0ngChild, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

As most of us know there has been a spate of teen suicides in the Welsh town of Bridgend, and now police are saying they and the two most recent deaths of those cousins are NOT related, so like 27 people are dead by suicide in the last 6 years, all in the same town, and there is no connection? I mean come on, these kids must have known each other, be it online, school, or just from the park, but is it really right to pin the blame on social networking sites? They are there, just as alcohol is in the shops, they have an age limit and warnings about giving out infomation etc, but really it is up to us to use them safely, if we do no then it is not the fault of the site, and for youngsters it's partly up to parents to monitor what their kids are doing online, but not even the best of parents can watch kids computer use 24/7, specialy as lots now have portable laptops.

Also it has been said that some of the kids who died commited suicide simply to gain peer kudos with online memorial sites, if this is 100% true then it really is a sad state of affairs, is teen life really THAT based on how they look or how popular they are, so much so they are willing to die for it? The internet has given people more acsess to things like this, but why not claim glory with a public suicide? Something is very wrong with all this, and blaming websites is not the right way to tacke it in my oppinion. People need to make themselves more aware of the demands society puts on young people to grow up ahead of their time, we pressure kids to do well at school, work hard etc, on top of the pressure they put themselves under to fit in with their peers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/24/nsuicide124.xml

2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jhtml?xml=/portal/2008/01/24/ftsuicide124.xml
    The tabloids just like to use technophobia to ignore the real issues surrounding the poor state of society but there are still some that are willing to view things objectively. If it isnt music then it's television, movies, video games and now networking sites.

3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, there's something very simple that people, it seems, have yet to learn. The internet is a big place and just about everyone who has the financial means is online. This means you can find just about anything that strikes your fancy online.

A lot of people just give their kids a computer with a wide open connection and tell them to have fun. This is a recipe for disaster if I've ever seen one. Nobody would drop their kids off in the middle of a city and leave them to their own devices for days at a time but that's exactly what they're doing with the internet.

And because of this, everyone else online is expected to tone everything down and keep everything at the level of children's programing on TV. It's just not going to happen. Kids are going to find their way into places that are really too mature for them. Adults don't always realize there are kids reading what they write online. If you think about it, obviously, you'd realize there are. Even with adult web sites, all you have to do to get in is click a little button that says you agree that you're 18.

People need to watch their kids online. I know they don't want to and think they shouldn't have to but it's just common sense.

4. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Blaming the Internet for that is like blaming typography for someone becoming a nazi after having read Mein Kampf.

5. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

No, i don't think it would be right to blame the net. I feel that would be misleading as no-one really knows what and why that happened, but as hae-gi said, its difficult to pin point a cause. there's nothing on the net that doesn't exist in peoples imaginations outside of it, before and after the digital age began

6. B.3

B.3 New Member

Im not sure if anyone goes on this anymore, but if so i would like to hear the most recent discussions regarding this topic, i have a few suggestions myself. you see i dont think we are facing a "copy cat" situation here, the copy cat situation would happen among very lonely and desperate cases, which by looking at these victims profiles, i would say that this is not the case. their psycological profiles dont match anything of the sort. however over the years factors have changed. which is why if anyone has any more information it would b greatly recieved. My email is b.3@hotmail.co.uk . as for my name, call me B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.