The British Monarchy

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I found out about this website through a video that was posted on youtube. Its a pressure group which wants the abolition of the British monarchy, it seems pretty well organised and they've had an interview on BBC morning news.

Whats your views on the monarchy?

The website has a lot of good material, well researched, and much better than I could think up off the top of my head.
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

While they don't actually do anything in terms of controlling government, they do bring in a hell of a lot of tourism and pomp and circumstance ... I live in London at the moment, and love it :) Just for my own enjoyment - keep 'em ;)
  3. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Regarding the tourism claim: we believe/In depth/Tourism/index.php :)
  4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Whatever people think i do believe the monarchy has its uses. They give royal assent to new legislation, bearing in mind the way law has evolved we need every failsafe possible.

Statutes used to fall under common law, having to go to the public vote, requiring 60% + of the able minded adults within britain to vote. If it was dismissed it was then cast aside.
    Somehow they have managed to sneak in a statute wereby statutes overpower common law. Then they adjusted it so they could make legislation without the consent of the public.
    Over time they tweaked it to the point were there is very little accountability, were statutes support them in the view that they know whats best for everyone, whether we consent or not. They have tweaked it so much that legislation can be passed having only been written by 2 ministers.
    The royal assent has to be given before it makes it into statute books, the royal family could well be the ones who stop the shit thats going on.
    The parliament has long been gaining power and has now signed us over to brussels. Which would have been and to any is still considered treason. Although yet again they have removed many of our constitutional documents and protected themselves fro such claims with legislation that the commoner can barely understand.
    They forget that law belongs to the people, that all laws are to be written in plain english, for everyone to understand, to be openly available.
    The parliament has broken many laws and hide behind this legislation to cover their asses forgetting the people, only the people have the ability to create and to nullify the law. The royal family is supposed to represent the people, as to are the government yet they work only for themselves in reality.
    People generally know this yet have been herded all their lives into a tolerance for the government dictatorship we now reside under. The UDHR actually states under these conditions it is our duty to rebel, most nations would, after all the governments selling OUR property, selling the UK bit by bit and purposefully placing us in debt!
    Most countries would have fought back and rebelled yet us english seem to get in the queue and quietly moan to ourselves while we are forced into debt.
    We either need to dissolve the parliament that is selling us or force them monarchy to do so and finally listen to the public.
    Isnt it weird how we are refused a referendum, with the irish they simply kept asking till they got the desired result, with laws about keeping possible terrorists captive they set a deadline for their captivity, we said no so they ask the question in various ways and decided they would meet the people "half way" contrary to listening to the people and simply admitting what the people wants. This country is fucked and without the monarchy working for the people we are more than fucked, either way im getting out before it gets worse as we are now in the EU.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada. The British monarchy is technically still our head of state. Fuck that.
  6. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

yea, this is true -.-"
  7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Yep I'm a colonist too (Canadian). I remember having to sing God Save The Queen every morning in school. Not sure if this is still practiced. Remember standing for hours to get a glimpse of the Queen as she drove threw our city once. And I remember thinking as a child "who is she?"

Ok maybe the Royals are drawing in tourists. But our city zoo does that too. And the animals are much more behaved. As far as I can see, the Royals have become tabloid material. And lately they cant even really rank in those. They are a family of people that have too much time and money on their hands.

Years ago, when Queen Elizabeth was first crowned queen, the Queen Mum was a prodominent figure and the world needed someone to look up, the Royals filled that spot. They actually did something with their stature and money. They had "class". Today they really dont come off as more than spoiled common brats. Affairs, divorces, scandals, tantrums etc. But then I shouldnt be so harsh. Our political heads are no different except that we vote them in!!!! I think the Royals have more than had their day to shine. They blew it and it cant be fixed. Maybe time for them to take their money and run. If nothing else it will keep them out of the tabloids.
  8. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

COULD being the key word., but does she? Honestly, I don't know.

Thats one thing talks about, having a constitution in plain English, you should have a look at their website, I was pleasantly suprised to see how well organised they are.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009
  9. Piffle

Piffle Member

10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

LOL, I missed that.
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If the Queen's assent to a law is anything like it is in Canada, then custom dictates she ALWAYS assents to the law. If the governor-general (technically appointed by the Queen) were to deny passage of a law, we'd reform our constitution in a month. I would imagine it would work similarly in the UK.
  12. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

The Monarchy should be abolished, its patronising, and plain wrong, what makes them anymore deserving than anyone else? People bitch about people signing on the doll, whilst the elephant is sitting in the room.
  13. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Off with their heads.
  14. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

LOL, I wish them no harm, just want them to humbly step down.

Check out their site if you've got the time, and if you haven't got the time, then bloody well make it! :D
  15. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

-shrugs- I still stand by what I said, regardless of how weak my argument may be - I for one just simply enjoy looking at Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards' Parade in Whitehall and the various bits around Westminster.
  16. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I quite like the parades too, but they have parades and such in the states without a royal family leeching from the public.
  17. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

On the republic website there is a section with responses to common arguments in favour of the monarchy, one of them was what you said, and their response is similar to what I said, but its been better researched. :) we believe/Republic Replies/index.php

The pro-monarch argument:

Britain will be dull without all the pomp and ceremony such as Changing of the Guard.

The response:

There is no reason to discontinue either Changing the Guard or Trooping the Colour. These traditions belong to Britain, not to the Windsor family. We are free to decide for ourselves which traditions will stay and which will go. The Beefeaters at the Tower of London are a good example of a tradition which has continued largely because the people and tourists want it to.
  18. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

The French seem to have done ok with "Royal" Tourism - the Palace of Versaille well worth a look.

To be honest no nead to abolish the position of King / Queen.........just make it elected rather than heriditary!..........would be a lot cheaper as well........
  19. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

I love looking at the ancient Pantheon in Greece, or the Vaksala Runestone in Sweden. However, I'd be less than pleased if we were under an Athenian democracy or had to congregate at the Thing to decide law.
  20. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion. I've read studies on the matter - from both the UK as well as some Commonwealth members - and most of the public seem apathetic to it. They're essentially just used to it and see no harm done. If I remember correctly, Austrailia is a bit more polarized about it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.