The cost of getting help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Null, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Recently I became a little overwhelmed in the mental health area (maybe this is an understatement) and was forced in to a brief stay in an institution. Needless to say I barely saw the psychiatrist, and barely received the time of day from anyone. The medical bills are now rolling in and so is my depression.

I don't really understand how the services I received can cost over 10,000. And I'm not sure how I'm going to pay it. I have a job but I don't make that kind of money. I checked in to all the payment options and "assistance" plans but it doesn't seem like i qualify.

I'm going to be honest, it really seems like I should have killed myself then instead of asking for help. It feels like I should kill myself now because I don't see any end to this medical billing hell. I seem to get a new bill every few days for thousands of dollars for who knows what.

I've learned my lesson, the cost of trying to get help is too high. I can never seriously recommend it to anyone, nor would I wish this horrible experience on anyone. I just cant understand how the hospital can mail people these kinda of bills or charge these inflated prices and not expect people to become depressed/suicidal. Bankruptcy or death seems to be my only options.
  2. yep

yep Well-Known Member

I feel disgust for what happened to you and how this is affecting you personally to the point of considering suicide not only as a way out of your problems but to get out of debts. You have learned you lesson about what can cost to go to this places. Remember though that choosing the wrong place for help and consequently, failing to achieve what you wanted doesn’t mean there are not other ways you can find support to help you out of this crisis. You seem to be suggesting that what would have helped is having contact with human being spending time with you rather than just giving you medication. You can have this support for free through help lines and support groups and even here. Use this resources, you are not alone in this fight for survival.
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I have had two hospital stays in the last yr and a half and always say that living was so much more expensive than I could have imagined, being socked with hospital bills for services I do not even know I received...many institutions set up payment plans and offers in compromise to reduce your cost...please remember how much you are worth; this makes the hospital bills pale in comparison to your value (although I truly know the stress you are going through)
  4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

... and people think I'm crazy for using alcohol as medication and suicide forums as therapy!

The system is messed up, and you shouldn't be forced into that kind of "do or die" situation. Based on what I have been told, hospitals will not report you to collections agencies as long as you are paying them something. So send them like $5 a month. Tell them it's all you can afford. If they don't like it, tell them that's too bad. Call their bluff. I'm sure they'd rather get $5 a month than nothing at all.

Money... it doesn't buy happiness, but the lack of it can sure as hell cause problems. People are more important than money. It's sad that the medical industry seems to have forgotten that. But I wouldn't stand for it if I were you. Don't let them intimidate you or drive you to do anything drastic. Even if you are somehow forced into bankruptcy, bankruptcy is not the end of the world. Suicide, however, is.
  5. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

There's no real recourse for the hospital if you don't pay.

Sending letters, phone, the usual.....maybe a visit to court that doesn't amount to anything. Tell the judge you can't pay.

They, at most, could put a lien on property you own.

Worry about yourself first.

The hospital can wait.
  6. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

I really feel for you, i find that so shocking that you would get a bill for such a huge amount, i dont understand how that can not be explained to someone before going in, and especially if they know the issues are for depression / suicide which can really affect your ability to work. i hope you find a way to get through it, maybe calling them is your first point of call? (((hugs)))

im very lucky myself, in australia we have free health care to a certain extent so that situation doesnt happen here.

maybe run away and come here?! we have lots of sandy beaches :aussie:
  7. Brynden

Brynden Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel. I don't have much money let alone insures to begin to look at getting treatment. Even the organizations that help low income people like myself require some payment. I know I need some treatment but with healthcare prices the way the are how can anyone expect to be sane.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.