The counselor only made it worse

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by snailssnooze123, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snailssnooze123

snailssnooze123 New Member

I diagnosed myself with depression in 7th grade, but was afraid to tell anybody. I finally broke down a few days ago and went to see the counselor at my college, but all I did was cry the whole time, and when I cry I can barely talk. So we didn't even get to my "depression", I just told her about how I hate going to school here and want to transfer BACK to my old school, even though I didn't like it there either. She made me make another appointment but now I don't want to go cuz I know I'll just fall apart again.
  2. Shyfear

Shyfear Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I can understand what you're talking about. I think it would be best if you give it another shot, the first time I talked to a counselor I broke down so many times because I had never talked about these issues with anyone (I tend to bottle everything up, are you the same way?) Counselors can be very helpful and they dont care if you cry, they want you to cry because it releases pressure. I hope you'll try seeing her at least once more, although it does take time to feel better. I think you made the right decison to try to get help. But if she doesn't help, or makes you nervous or anything, dont hesitate to drop her. My first counselor told me I was full a shit a half hour after I found out about my sister's suicide. She was just an asshole though, I hope your's is much better.

If you are really uncomfortable with talking to a counselor, you can email me. I'm almost finished my psychology degree at the top undergrad university in Canada and have a focused study in depression and suicide to become a suicidologist. It may be easier for you because you can get it all out on text and not worry about the tears. I will try my best to help. My email is if you choose to talk to me. Whichever you choose to do I hope you have success in. =]

I'm very proud of you for taking the first steps! I hope you are well, I love you =]
  3. Strength is not neccessarily a key to counselling sessions. Falling apart in front of her is not a problem, because at some point you'll feel comfortable enough to pull yourself together and talk properly.

Why not write a letter to begin with? Write down your thoughts and feelings, your issues and your concerns and let HER ask you questions. Explain that you're still very vulnerable when it comes to expressing things, and would rather begin like this. My first counsellor asked me to draw my problems for her, because I could not handle talking things through without crying or clamming up.

Have you seen a doctor about all of this?
  4. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I know how you feel. I couldn't talk at all, and she dumped me :(

I found writing stuff down a lot easier :)

Maybe you should try it?

Good luck <3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.