The Curio Cabinet

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have a room ostensibly the living room that I don't use. It was piled with junk like an episode of Hoarders. I have most of the junk either donated or thrown away. But there is this curio cabinet in there. It is covered in dust and dirt. I went to clean it and was immediately saddened to no end. Pictures of family now dead. Even a picture of my beloved first cat now dead.

This is life it is death. The older you get the more death invades your live. It makes me so sad.

I have no idea how I am going to make myself clean pictures of dead people.

Hi TexasKitty
It's funny how we have different ways of looking at death, I let the dead go on their journey and don't give them a second thought, and even when I sense their presence I " turn on" a feeling of love and peace and I shine light and I tell/show them this is what you are too and we can meet as a feeling, I don't entertain their human stories or memories and tell them their time here is over, and I know that this is also preparing me so I won't be hanging around here when I go.
That said I have just gone through a full on grief process over a relationship that has be invaded by depression, but I am out the other side of it and shining brighter then ever.
So let sleeping dogs lie, and leave the pictures until you are filled with love and not sadness, you may even enjoy the job when you are in a different frame of mind
Love and Light
P
p.s I'm only 54 so what would I know !!!

Luoma

Need someone to talk to? I'm here!
SF Supporter
Hey texaskitty, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I would firstly like to apologize for the scenario, but I must say, at the very least pat yourself on the back for being strong enough to be able to clean that one room. It's always important to be able to take care of ourselves and our surroundings.

However, as far as the pictures go, do what you can when you can. If you're not strong enough to do it now, maybe take a bit of time and work your way towards it. Pictures are both a blessing and a curse. We are able to use pictures to keep memories with us forever, but sometimes the memories are painful to live through. Though, without pictures, the memories of those we hold close to us would disappear. Each picture is a moment in time, a beautiful moment captured. Instead of longing for those times, remember that the past is in the past and the best way to honor those who are lost is to keep the happy memories within our hearts forever.

Please do take care.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Death, of course, comes to us all. I treasure the pictures I have of those who have passed. And it is a constantly growing list. In fact, Ernie and Helen appear first thing when I bring my computer up. Helen is my 93 year old friend who passed in September. Ernie is her husband. I miss Helen dearly. She and Ernie are two of the most special people who have ever been in my life. I do try to honor and cherish the dead. As I hope people will honor and cherish me when I am gone. It can be very hard to look at the picture of a deceased loved one. But I hope you will eventually be able to do it, and cherish the memories looking at the pictures will bring.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Death, of course, comes to us all. I treasure the pictures I have of those who have passed. And it is a constantly growing list. In fact, Ernie and Helen appear first thing when I bring my computer up. Helen is my 93 year old friend who passed in September. Ernie is her husband. I miss Helen dearly. She and Ernie are two of the most special people who have ever been in my life. I do try to honor and cherish the dead. As I hope people will honor and cherish me when I am gone. It can be very hard to look at the picture of a deceased loved one. But I hope you will eventually be able to do it, and cherish the memories looking at the pictures will bring.
See thats how its supposed to be Barb, you treasure your pictures. I've got 20 photo albums of my mothers and they are never opened and these pictures bring me pain.

What the heck is wrong with me?

oh sorry for your loss, Helen and Ernie sound like they were precious.

Silverpuddle

Some kind of geek
SF Author
SF Supporter
There's nothing wrong with you, Kitty. Everybody grieves in their own way. It's possible that later on you'll be able to look at the pictures without feeling pained by them. I'm really sorry to hear that you're suffering, but proud of you for being able to get up and do as much as you can.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Well the Curio Cabinet is clean. Wow it was dirty. There were several unframed photos there. One is of my mother and her three sisters. This one caused me the most grief. So instead of avoiding it, I bought an inexpensive frame and put it where I can see it. Still working through the grief, but feel this is a step in the right direction.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support. This is what SF was created for.

See thats how its supposed to be Barb, you treasure your pictures. I've got 20 photo albums of my mothers and they are never opened and these pictures bring me pain.

What the heck is wrong with me?

oh sorry for your loss, Helen and Ernie sound like they were precious.
Nothing is wrong with you, everyone deals with grief and memories differently, there is no right or wrong way. Maybe when you are in a better place and stronger emotionally you will be able to dust them off, but till then, just be proud of what you have achieved, clearing the whole room was no mean feat, and l applaud you. Sorry, l didn't read your final post. So pleased for you. x

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00