The dam is at capacity

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dante, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Dante

Dante Well-Known Member

I have a dam in my head holding back all the crap and misery in my head, stuff I doubt I can deal with; it is actually extremely effective, I can go about life quite free from the pain that is held behind it, however, it is at capacity and in fact overflowing.

I need some way to increase the capacity of the dam or shore it up somehow because the feelings spilling out from it are the kind which can only be properly processed with a knife, I eve have the spot picked out. I just need this feeling to stop.

2. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

Firstly I hope you are alright after this attack of the terrors.

Your heading just grabbed my attention as I often hiked and cycled into valleys that have been blocked by a dam. The pressure behind some dams is released and used for white water rafting. There is one about 40 miles North of me that has a deep 300ft, overflow down which some canoe guys have found a way to test their skills. In each case control is used. Try letting out some of what is being held back, but do so under control.
    There will be some junk that are bad memories that you should try to throw out. Then there is all the junk that worrying over will not change so you can dump that. There may be a few people that you need to apologise to and this will release some feelings of guilt. Try forgiving yourself about a few things as well. We all make mistakes. This will, or at least should, decrease the levels to a manageable height.

I admire the fact you have realised the problem and expressed it in such an honest way.

There should be a video attached showing the canoe guys doing what they do..

3. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

Hi, I am Mox

Whats all going on with you; what is pushing the dam to the limit? Have you considered maybe exercise or writing a journal as a way of releasing some of that bent up pressure. Don't be afraid to ask us for help.

Take Care of yourself

4. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

It appears to be a classic "Stress Bucket" scenario Dante and there a few articles online about how to keep that bucket from overflowing. I am sure if you just google the term, you will something that will help.

5. Dante

Dante Well-Known Member

I see it more as a deep abyss with doors holding it shut like the doors of hell but I suppose a bucket works too, though it lacks a certain gravitas.

6. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

Care to share what is going on with you to feel this way?