The Dark, Ignorant Continent

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No territory the "War on Terror" or "Mccarthyism" hasn't covered.
  3. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Well can't condemn a whole continent because of what some people do.
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

You still have people in rich and developed countries doing things like this and worse. You'll always have your dark, ignorant people but never and entire continent of them.

Granted, I don't disagree with the asessment that something needs to be done; but I certainly don't think we can start by alienating the moderattes among them.
  5. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

6. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

personally this makes me feel very ill. I'm actually wiccan so I take more personally than some. It be such a great world if absolutley everybody excepted everybody else for who they are. no matter their religion, race, sex etc... it will obviously never happen that way. but it would be awesome and I suppose I can have some hope for that.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

As I tried to point out, witch hunts are nothing unfamiliar to us in western countries. Maybe no stake burnings anymore, but certainly waterboarding and life ruining.

I say we can't judge them on account of doing the same shit.
  8. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I agree actually. completely. I'm sure there are people there that are trying to put an end to it. but still kinda makes me feel ill.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's just a shitty world. As Billy Joel said, "we didn't light the fire; it was always burning since the world's been turning"... It'll always be that way. Murders, persecution, injustices.

I try to shut it out as much as possible. I look after me and mine, there's nothing else to do.
  10. Account Closed

this is a good example of what religion do to people...
    Christianity did it as well, but they stopped because they don't want
    to loose popularity and political power.
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member, remember when I kicked your ass about this in the other thread?

Xenophobia FAR predates Christianity, and is found in basically any creature which experiences fear.
  12. Account Closed

no i don't remember such thing... no one in here ever kicked my ass actually.
    but i do know that only religious movements do stuff like scarification or witch hunts
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

War on terror
    Stalinist purges
    Rwanda genocide

Need I go on?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  14. Zurkhardo

Indeed, the factors behind this horrific act extend far beyond mere cultural ignorance or religious intolerance. Take into account that people in a constant state of misery, poverty, illness, and fear - as these people are - tend to be more likely to commit horrific acts of this nature. There's a clear and obvious connection between violence and human suffering.

This case may very well be like most of the others I've read about. People suffer crop failures or a disease outbreak of some kind. They're scared, uneducated (due to their social and economic status), and angry. Someone must be made responsible, and as history has shown, scapegoats are always sought after. Even the witchburnings of Europe and Colonial America occurred predominately in situations such as famines and plagues, circumstances which drive people like these African villagers into delusion.

Of course I'm not excusing this act under any pretext, cultural or others. Thankfully, niether are the governments, namely those of Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania; although sadly, given their numerous national problems and limited resources, it's likely they won't be able to do much about it.
  15. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I completely agree, how about condemning the whole of America because of pedophiles, slave owners and serial killers?
    There is good and bad on every continent and you are simply showing your own ignorance by labelling an entire continent as 'savages'.

And I think Zurkhado made the most significant and important point so far. There is massive correlation between violent acts and human suffering.
  16. Neverhappyalwayssad

Yet Xenophobia is so common in religion, not just christianity. homophobia, abortion, birth control, evolution. The list can go on. But really I don't have a problem with people believing there is a god, its really organized religion that I have a problem with.
  17. Zurkhardo

Thank you Lins, I appreciate the support :)

As for xenophobia, and for this case ignorance, religion is far from the only institution or belief system that can become corruptible. Nationalism (which is often inherently secular), Communism (strongly atheistic and anti-religious, and patriotism are equally encouraging of some from of discrimination. Science has been used to justify acts such as the Eugenics movement and the Holocaust; notions of race and ethnicity have created apartheid and colonialism, not to mention cases of discrimination that are ubiquitous worldwide.

Thus, religion (itself so broad) cannot be singled-out as somehow 'worse' or more prevelant in it's susceptibility. It's just simply not the case.
  18. Neverhappyalwayssad

Well many people regard Nazi and stalinnist movements as movements of atheism. But if you look at hitler you will understand that their religion, was that hitler was their god and savior. So therefore technically a religion. Also Apartheid was upheld by the many religions in south Africa.
    And communism is considered Atheistic as you put it but wouldn't that only be because other people opionions and views arn't tolerated, only reason Stalin was agianst religion cause it didn't support the government as a whole, it was supporting things that the stalinnist government didn't support.

Singularity belief can't be held accountable but organized religion can.

Also "not to mention cases of discrimination that are ubiquitous worldwide. " if you take a look at many of discrimination cases, u will understand that religion not science created it. Civil rights era, people were using that god made the white race superior, which led to research into it by white supremist

Also science learns from its mistakes, religion doesn't. Look at the catholic religion, and its views of anti-birth control.

Religion creates a system where your a believe or your not. And if your not, then your gonna burn in hell for eternity and thats it.
  19. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

How can religion not be held up as more susceptible for corruption? The myriad interpretations of holy texts, the cherry picking of quotes to justify the particular stance of the day, convincing the cannon fodder that heaven will reward them for killing their enemies...and that's without even mentioning the behavior of cults.

As you stated before, human suffering, poor education and economic status can all lead to the outbreak of violence. The difference is that nationalism and xenophobia tend not be a serious cause for concern when education plays it's part and when economic conditions are sound. Extreme political ideologies can not thrive during prosperous times, unless it is also tied to a religious viewpoint. However, religion itself persists through both the good times and the bad.

Religion can be used as a justification for violence, even when other factors are absent or just too weak to be effective tools for manipulation. Wealthy, well educated people, can be convinced that flying a plane into a building is a good idea or that they have God on their side, helping them fight the 'evildoers'.
  20. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'll tell you for sure, religion hasn't sent forth armies in the past several centuries.

It's been secular nationalism that's caused the major wars of the 17-21 centuries.

Edit: Oh, right, almost forgot - it's also NOT been religion causing the worst witch hunts. Spanish Inquisition has nothing on the Holocaust.

The common link is human nature and the xenophobia associated. You can't scapegoat any particular institution, because it's deeply embedded in us.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.