The Day Of Silence

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by ASkylitDrive, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASkylitDrive

ASkylitDrive Well-Known Member

Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a nation youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. I believe that ending the silence is the first step towards fighting these injustices. Think about the voice you are not hearing today.
    What will you do to end the silence?

I, as a junior in a small town high school, participated with a few fellow peers in the DOS, which happened on April 16th 2010. Not many people participated in my area for a few reasons. Maybe they don't support the lgbt community, or they didn't known. Or, and I have gotten these responses, they can't just be silent for a day. This is my third year doing it, and on that day I'd never speak a word.

There are a few rather hated people I had encountered. One sophomore in my theater class told me 'gay people should be hung' right in my face, continuing to put me in tears. I am a proud bisexual, so I take this event to heart. I got other bad response, like a few seniors in my pe class. I was explaining the DOS by typing on my phone, talking about the child who was harrassed to end his life for being gay. As soon as I was mentioned the kid I got "oh he is is a fag it doesn't matter' Yet again, a hurtful response.

This is what I don't get, why do people pick on others. Sure its because they are normal and some aren't. But does normality honestly exist? All it is a majority saying they are right and you are wrong. It shouldn't be right to claim you are normal to someone who is different, when you are different in others eyes. Society runs on majorities and minorities. This can't be fixed, but how about just letting people be how they want to be as long as its not harmful.

Well, basically what I'm trying to do is open the SuicideForum community to this event, aside from my ramblings on the subject.
    It is a youth movement, and I was hoping to make another thread next year to prepare anyone who would like to participate. I also like to hear peoples comments :)

2. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Banned Member

i would do it. i've had a lot of experience. you have my full support

3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I used to participate in this when I was in high school. Good for you for doing it. If more people participated in this it would definitely help improve this harsh world we live in.

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

After you hear those comments about gay people, do you think that the DOS is doing enough? What else do you think could happen to prevent bullying, suicide?

5. ASkylitDrive

The DOS is the first step, showing everyone that people notice this silence and how its caused, and are being stubbornly silent to prove the point.
    Its also used to gather your supportive peers together.

6. ZombiePringle

Exactly what I was going to say. It's the small things that people do to try and change something bad that add up to make an actual difference.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

OK, but what happens afterwards? I'm genuinely interested in hearing your plans. I understand your intentions. But if I didn't take part in the DOS would that mean I would be rejected as being some kinda evil fascist?

It's all very easy to be quiet, trust me. The people who can suffer a lot are the people who aren't silent but say the most difficult things and encourage dialogue, within as well as outside the LGBT "community."

8. xXxRNBxXx

xXxRNBxXx Senior member

well im bisexual... and i hate how im treated for this sometimes :(

I would love to join in something like this!!

9. ASkylitDrive

Well afterwards i plan on trying to open a GSA at our school, so people who are being harrassed have a safe place to go. Maybe make the school more aware of the damage.

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

What is a GSA?

11. ZombiePringle

It's a gay straight alliance I believe. We had one at my school.

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

That sounds great. That was something I had in mind when I was looking at the initial post.

13. friendless

friendless Well-Known Member

:hug: We have LGBT events in my town, I support them morally but often don't have the time to go down in person. There are probably many more people in your community who believe in your cause but just don't take part in the events. I feel guilty now, reading your post, I should have gone since the whole point is to reflect this kind of silence and the cruelty that happens under it.

Well, know that you are loved here and you have our support. I'm going to attend the events in my town next year because of this post.

14. ASkylitDrive

Its a Gay Straight Alliance :) We tried doing it before, just suddenly actually. And it got very bad reviews to the point where we had to change it's name to Society Now.
    The reason I'm completely supportive of DOS is I'm hoping it slowly opens the more opinionated youth to this movement, rather than thrusting the idea upon them.

Friendless don't feel guilty. Just do it with me next year.

15. plates

plates Well-Known Member

That's huge. It sounds like you have had to silence yourself/sugarcoat with that name- "Society Now." Isn't this a compromise, a silencing, and by doing that, what are you saying to the people around who are giving you bad reviews?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  16. ASkylitDrive

It is being silenced, which is precisely my point. We were forced to do so by staff and fear because of the comotion and violence it caused. A SIMPLE NAME....How low do you have to be?

Well the club closed after that, so the bullies won for now. But I plan next year to open it back up. The current head of the club already said I can run it.

G we can't really say much to them without getting in trouble, thats another problem.

17. ASkylitDrive

Its been announced that next year's Day of Silence is..

April 15, 2011​

18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

That's disgusting- what would have happened if you kept the name and what kind of trouble would have happened if you said anything to them?
    Maybe you're better prepared this year if it happens again- are you thinking of keeping the name as GAS or something more 'inoffensive'?

19. ASkylitDrive

Its GSA
    and we honestly don't know what else to do. barely any of the staff supports it either.

We had a woman who worked for an town alliance in Austin come talk to us. She gave us these cards called Safe Zones and we were to ask teachers to put them in the room to designate who was supportive. I only got three out of my seven teachers to post them up, one of them took it off the next day.

Its a never ending struggle, but this year I'm going to be doing as much as I can as I slowly become a senior.

20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear your teachers are like that. That was what I was gonna ask as I thought that might be why you're up against so much: the lack of teachers and/or governers (or PTA? where you are?) of the school supporting what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.