The Demonstrations for Tibet

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Sadeyes, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The Olympic Torch, being moved through San Francisco, has provoked many demonstrations against China's treatment of the ppl of Tibet...I feel so sorry I could not be there as this is the only location in the US that they are moving the Torch...if it is going through your area, please go out and protest the horrific actions of the Chinese gov' frustrated that such a peaceful group of ppl must be hurt in this way...thanks, J
  2. Just listened to the radio news a short while ago. It was not a good scene in SF. They actually re-routed the torch-passing without telling spectators...

The whole world is earnestly putting in their 2 cents, but unfortunately, despite the protest, and no matter what form it takes - unless China changes it's "For us or against us" mentality (which is deeply embedded - sadly, just like in the West), I don't see very much changing. They can't be boycotted or anything like that either (can't think of the word) since we're all so economically intertwined. And the Tibetans are very sadly, not the only ones to suffer brutality under such a regime.

These summer's games do not bode well...:sad:
  3. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

Tbh, I think if you don't like what China's doing then simply boycott the games YOURSELF. If that many people don't agree with what China is doing then the lack of people watching the games will be too great to ignore.
    However, if this is in fact not the case, then it will be fairly obvious. However, you cannot ask people to go out and take action against something if they do not agree with the cause.
    Different people have different views of what is right and wrong. Will the same people who are today calling for an Olympic boycott because they do not agree with what China is doing, tomorrow be calling for a London Olympic boycott as they also didn't agree with the war in Iraq?
    To take a Nietzschean standpoint, who are we to say what is right? The west consistently tries to impose on other countries their systems (e.g. democracy in Iraq) but many people in the west do not agree with the systems we live under. Who is to say that these systems with all their faults are any better than those already in existence in other countries?
    It is also important to remember that the Olympics are about sport, and there are many people who feel that this and politics are two different entities which should remain seperate. Many athletes are facing pressure to refuse to compete, but why should they give up a chance they might never get again, or face moral outcry?

Please note I do not agree with all the points I have made here, I am simply trying to present a different side to the argument. Call it playing Devil's Advocate if you will. I am aware not all of these points are well argued, but as I just said, just providing something of the other side.

No disrespect meant in posting this. I am simply sick of having the 'morally right' course of action shoved down my throat. It's been a bad week. If this causes offence, then my apologies. I am aware that this causes major political tensions which cannot be ignored.
  4. requiem46

requiem46 Active Member

Say, the whole Torch-tibet-china is evil business pisses me off whenever I hear it mentioned.

The Dalai Lama went out of Tibet exiled in 1959, I think. So the Tibet-China problem we have today must have been there or being even worse years ago. No one bothered saying a thing about this "horrible nation" China is 6 years ago when they could have offered an alternative place to hold the Olympics.

So now they go all "let's boycot the olympics!". What about the people who have been training hard to get there? They are irrelevant to the greater view now because no one gave a damn about China's political system back then?

So yeah, Free the Tibet! Boycot the country who doesn't follow the human rights! After the olympics these things won't be mentioned again, people'll get given some new **** to rant about. Like, do you know how many countries are at war in Africa, or ruled by evil dictators?

/rant mode off
  5. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

There was a demonstration on Parliament Hill in Ottawa a couple weeks ago for Canada to boycott the Olympics, and although I think we should, I know we won't.

On another note, every time someone puts up a topic about a moral outrage there are always people who come on just to say, "hey, there are awful things happening somewhere else, too!!". Start up a thread about it, and get out of this one.
  6. requiem46

requiem46 Active Member

no, the point of my post is "this stuff has been going on for a long while and no one has given a damn until now, 5 months before the olympics start, when the only thing that could be done is forsake them and all the people involved in them"

I don't know how bad are the other things out there, so I wouldn't start a thread about it. I'm just saying ,no one cares about things like the one mentioned here until someone tells them to care. No, if you didn't care some years ago, you, me, or most people for that matter have no reason to go all "IT'S F.ED UP!" without even knowing all there is to it.
  7. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Actually there was a big protest 6 years ago when China was even in the running to host the Olympics. However, the media decided that it wasn't their main concern so little attention was given compared to now when it's big business.

The reasoning back then for giving China the Olympics was to force the spotlight on them and make them conform. It was a stupid idea then and it's stupid now. I know that morals and values differ throughout the world and it is why I respect most traditions. But there is one area where all people should unite and that is against the exploitation of any person and any living thing.
  8. Flight

Flight Well-Known Member

To have the games in China is a great and novel idea on paper, but obviously the nation has some pretty big wrinkles to iron out first.

It would have been nice if Canada's bid for the 2008 games had gone through back then. Toronto was it? Canada's biggest issue right now is the slaughter for seal pelts. And that will be resolved quickly enough it seems anyway.