The Diary Debate...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Hazel, Jun 11, 2009.

Do you want the option to have your diary private?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2009.
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
  2. No

17 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Do you want the option to have your diary private?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Hazel!

I'm not too picky,but it would be nice to have that option. :D
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Alright I've already posted this a couple other times, but what the hell is the point? Just write in a journal at home or go to a blogging site and you're fine. Why would you need your entries to be private here? I don't understand at all.
  4. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

completly agree with spencers (iloveyou) post. if you want a private journal then why choose to post on a forum which is here to help people and have a chance to be able to reach out so that others can help.

i just dont understand why we werent forewarned about the diaries being private in the first place
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

For some people, it may not be as easy to just write it at home. Maybe they do not have the confidence that a written journal in the house will stay private or they only have access to a public computer so creating a personal file and passwording it is not an option. Yes there are other sites or maybe online places they could make a private diary, but if they would like it to be here and the option is there, why should it be an issue?
  6. Petal

I wouldn't be able to write a diary at home. I'd have peeping toms all over it. :giggle:
    I wouldn't trust any other site than SF with an online diary. :sf:
  7. Randy024

Randy024 Member

I have been told for years to journal or start a "personal" diary, I've tried but never saw the point of one sided or no audiance projecting...

I write it out but no one the garbage is still I carry it in a book as well as my head...???

Putting my thoughts out on an open forum, whether in an open thread or (I may start one) a "readable" diary, I feel like I'm being heard...others have shared my thoughts hopes and/or fears and now the burden of them has been shared as well

It may just be me, but I need to know what I am sharing is being seen/heard/digested/acknowaldged and in some way validating me...whether I get a responce or not.
  8. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

It can't hurt to have it ... from the pole it was obvious people wanted it. Having both will please everyone. If you don't want yours to be private then you simply choose not to have it private. Its no big deal.
  9. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I believe people should have the option to have their diaries private or public. I think it's fair.
  10. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

I really can't see the issue that has been brought up about giving people a chance to reach out and being forewarned...etc... All the poll is asking is whether you would like that OPTION for the diaries to be private... as vikki says - no big deal... :unsure:

EDIT (17:32) : I'd like to add that the above post is not aimed at anyone in particular - just my opinion
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  11. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

It naturally is. someone may choose the option to be invisible because they can and because they are scared of talking about there life and thoughts in public. I know I myself have trouble expressing myself sometimes. Now if someone only post in private and hides his/her feelings thoughts and emotions then SF community stops being a support for those people. The strength of this place have always been the community that cares for one another but what about members who suffer without being seen or heard? we need to reach them as well dont we?.

I diddent actually think about this myself before but its very valid. Its a way for good friends and kind people to step in, send a pm or a message saying we are here for you, we know that you are having a hard night/day and I´m here to talk to you and I care for you. This very kindness have saved more people then we can imagine but for it to work we sometimes need to know whats going on or we have no clue.

I actually voted for having the ability to make a choice but I would vote different now if I could.

I think SF is about support and we need to think about how we best can form the tools we have in hand toward that goal =)

my 2 cents
  12. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

As with most things - people's opinions differ :)

The way I see it is that people have freedom in what decisions they make. If they want a private place they can write a diary then so be it. I don't see an issue with that :)

If people would prefer others can read it - I also don't see an issue with that.

I just believe that people having a choice as to what they WANT is no bad thing - why prevent people from doing this? We are not a society whereby what people would or would not like re their privacy is policed :)
  13. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Just wanted to say that private diaries would still be viewable to staff as they would still be subject to the same rules etc as any other posts.

So really therefore my personal thoughts are that a private blog or other form of private diary would work better than one on here. But that's my own opinion only.

Btw, if anyone who wouldn't feel safe having a physical paper diary would like advice on passwording or encrypting documents on their computer so they could have a computerized but offline diary then I'm happy to give some help.
  14. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

15. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yup. Not all other sites have the same rules, so you can write whatever you want, and just click private.
  16. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

((depending on who you are, SF can't be 'trusted' with online diaries. it is why i moved mine to a private blogspot months ago. it is only a safe place for certain members. certain 'predators' lol, can attack you via diaries. ))

speaking from experience.
    i do not think s.f. should be a forum for revenge. :rolleyes:
    however, there are ranges of opinion. this is my constitutionally protected opinion only. lol
  17. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

I voted no, meaning I don't want to lock EVERYONE out... but I would like ONLY MEMBERS to read them, not the general public! As long as members only can see them, I am happy!
  18. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

...i dont even know where to find the diary....i didnt even know there WAS a diary! :blink:
  19. Petal

hey, go to the 'let it all out forum'. Theres a subforum of that forum called 'members diary'.
  20. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

i would rarther have my diary public tbh
    i enjoyed the fact you could post and people could read it but not post back
    i dont know there was somthign comforting about it
    maybe it was also the fact people coulod read how other people afre feeling or what theyve been through and it might help them .
    now there privete i think that its lost alot of the posting factor shall we say.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.