The Did You Know Thread.

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by boo, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

So the idea for this thread is for each person to post a FACT that can be wildly imaginative, but true or something completely simple that many people may not know. Facts about you is also cool.

Now, it can be knowledge you either already have or something you wanted to know and looked it up to post here so others can see and may think "wow, I never knew that and is pretty cool".

Posts can also be comments on other did you know facts, but try and post something as well.

I'll start :

Did you know In 1916, in Tennessee, an elephant named Mary was hanged for murder. :unsure:

2. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I can bend the tips of both my middle fingers un-aided

3. whywhy

whywhy Active Member

Recycling Aluminium cans only needs 5% of the total energy to make entirely new cans. So you can recycle a can 20 times rather then just make 1 new one.

4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

An apple is just as or more effective in waking you up in the morning than a cup of coffee.

5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Did you know Snails can live up to 15 years. :eek:ooh:

6. rx4brdm

rx4brdm Well-Known Member

I can do the same with my thumbs. Double-jointed rules.

7. shamps

shamps Well-Known Member

I love this one...how on earth did you figure that one out hun?

Did you know that high EMF fields(electro magnetic fields)given off in most homes with a lot of piping or machinery,electricity ect can actually not just mean the presence of a ghost but can make you very sick if near it too long.Symptoms may include nausea,headaches,paranoia,the feeling of being watched and being creeped out.

Yeah I know im weird...too many ghosthunting programmes lol.

8. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

The names of the days of the week came to us from the mythological gods of Ancient Rome. It was the Romans who were the first to begin their days at midnight, while the ancient Babylonians began theirs at sunrise and the ancient Jews, at sunset.

Sunday was named because it was the day sacred to the sun.

Monday was named because it was sacred to the moon.

Tuesday was named after Tiw, a god of war.

Wednesday was named after Woden, the leader of the gods.

Thursday was named after Thor, the god of thunder.

Friday was named after Frigge, the wife of Woden.

Saturday was named after Saturn, the god of crops and harvest.

From The Big Site Of Amazing Facts

Shamps, I found out the apple fact from some website that I don't remember the name of. It won't stop me from indulging in my morning coffees though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
  9. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

The average person will spend over 2 weeks in their lifetime waiting for traffic lights to change.

10. chrs75

chrs75 Well-Known Member

takes longer to say than

World Wide Web

11. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the stadium becomes the state's third largest city.:huh:

12. ASolitaryBlue

ASolitaryBlue Well-Known Member

The Starbucks coffee chain is named after the first mate, Starbuck, in Herman Melville’s classic novel, ‘Moby Dick.’

13. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

I like this thread so far, lot of interesting things.:hamster:

In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania it is illegal to have sex with a truck driver inside a toll booth.

14. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Bananas contain a natural chemical which can make a person happy. This same chemical is also found in prozac.

15. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Did you know that it is illegal to refuel your car on your own in Oregon?

The staff at the gas station refuel all the vehicles, and they also ask you if you want the car windows cleaned :)

16. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Did you know that penguins only have sex once a year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.