The difference between being deeply depressed and suicidal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkrider

Something i've been pondering.

There's been many times i've wanted to end it, but i've never done anything other than think. On another hand I take into consideration the effect it will have on people. Yet I have been miserable for years and my life is non existent. I'm like a zombie.

On the other hand you have 15 year olds who kill themselves, out of the blue to those around them.

I'm imagining myself back when I was in college, walking the streets by myself between classes. I wish I had done it to be honest. I'm too dazed to even kill myself. How pathetic.

jameslyons

Depression is a recurring feeling of low self worth and emptiness and excessive guilt, while suicidal just means you have the impulse to kill yourself. They pretty much go hand in hand.

I know how you feel. I hate that I haven't been brave enough to go ahead with it.

Scum

There is a difference between suicide ideation (which is thinking about suicide) and being actively suicidal.

Often severe depression can also come with suicide ideation and/or someone being actively suicidal. It sounds to me, like you struggle with suicide ideation.

Both suicide ideation and being actively suicidal can occur without depression, and equally depression can occur without either of those (although that may only be mild depression?)

I also just want to say that it's not pathetic you haven't killed yourself. It takes a strong person to stay and fight, and actually, despite what you may think, the fact you are still here is testament to how strong you actually are. It also means that somewhere inside you, there is something fighting to keep you alive.

I am sorry you are feeling so bad, and I can relate. Do you have any professional support?

SweetSurrender

I feel the others have explained it well so i won't repeat them. But I think you've hit the nail on the head in your own post though; sometimes when a person is very deeply depressed although they maybe suicidal they often don't have any active plan, simply because it is enough effort to breathe let alone gather tools and carry out a thought-out suicidal plan. Those that are the most in danger are actually those people who are on the path to recovery as their energy levels rise but they are still feeling depressed. Or those that have agitated depression or bipolar. Life with chronic depression is very painful, but i think you have to have a number of factors coming together at the one time for people to actively try and commit suicide. I think that is the reason most people that commit suicide are usually intoxicated, it reduces impulses and changes energy levels. I know a lot of my thoughts are intensified when i've had a few drinks, but generally i don't have the energy to end my life. I don't think that is pathetic, i think you are deeply depressed and i hope that you are able to find the help you need to pull you out of your zombie-like state.

mdmefontaine has a most apt footer for this:
"The thought of suicide is a powerful solace: by means of it one gets through many a bad night"

mdmefontaine

Antiquities Friend
hun, i've been there. never could figure out what kept me HERE when i did see, others going like a vapor. .. vanished.

maybe if we are hanging on - all of us here perhaps - maybe we have a stronger will to live - it is buried in layers of pain but it is THERE.

pm me anytime. . ... sending you hugs (((hugs))) and love x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00