• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

The Dogma of Diagnoses

Inanimate

In my useless experience, the only thing that the label “depression” has wrought is further despair and oppression. It is deemed an aberration of the human experience: something to repudiate, subdue, and reform. What a joke.

Hospitalization hasn’t done jack shit to “stabilize” and alleviate my “symptoms.” On the contrary, it had only generated an imbalance in my parents’ bank account. So when my medication had been deemed useless and a waste of time and money, they say it’s because I was resistant and uncooperative. Yeah, okay. So only when I comply with behavioral therapy, socialization, and exercise, will the medication be effective. Huh. Only then can I say with confidence “The medication is working!” if I hadn’t conveniently recovered on my own with the soft push of false hope.

Call it a woke rant if you’re inclined. At least I gave a shit.

Call it a woke rant if you’re inclined. At least I gave a shit.
For what it's worth, I don't think what you are saying is either a rant or even "woke". Depression is difficult. You can't just be given some pills and have it "go away". For many of us, "behavioral therapy, socialization, and exercise" alone won't solve anything either.

I am NOT a doctor. Ok, we got that out fo the way. My personal experience is that medication helped calm/quiet all of the "noise" going on in my head so my mind was functional enough to receive benefit from therapy. It was difficult for me to take advantage of the skills and knowledge of a therapist when I was suffering from hallucinations and could not trust that what I saw and heard was actually reality.

Again, this is just my personal experience, but

So only when I comply with behavioral therapy, socialization, and exercise, will the medication be effective.
is the exact opposite of how it worked for me. The medication was what allowed me to receive benefit from the therapy, to where I no longer required the medication. Unless you are harming others or yourself, again this is my non-medical, I am not a doctor, opinion, you should not have to comply with therapy. You should want to feel better, and perhaps they need to work on getting you some meds that will help so all of your strength isn't being used up trying to fight your depression and you have some left for the work of therapy. And therapy is work, and it can be difficult, but there it can provide great benefits and has helped many climb out of the darkness of depression that can consume one's life.

Please stay safe and take care

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$255.00