The dreaded cancer sticks

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Terry, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Ok, I have the patches, the stop smoking techniques book and the hypno tape.
    All I need now is the belief I can do it (and to actually read book and listen to tape).
    Am slowly killing meself with ciggies, I mean chain smoking here!!:eek:hmy: :sad:
    someone motivate me to get with the program and at least try to stop...PLEASE!!!!

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I have no insight or anything, but anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it, and that includes you.

Maybe set yourself targets and treat yourself when you reach them, or work towards a set treat, something like that that can be an incentive to you.

3. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Well I have strong faith in you, Terry!
    The fact that you got all the 'equipment' shows that you REALLY want it, so that's already a good start!

You can do it, Terrs, now get on it!!! :tongue:

4. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

Terry, good luck, I know you can do it :hug: !!!
    Do it for the bunnies :eek:hmy: !!
    Damn.. I need a cig :tongue: good luck
    :hug:

5. good luck Terry, it's going to be pretty dam tough, but remember you CAN do this xxx

6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Eh you do it or i'll ........................ come whack ya :whack: :smile:

Do it for Lem :sad: he getting all ur bad smoke! :eek:hmy: :blub: poor Lem

and the poor beaks :sad: They even have to put themselfs to bed!! :eek:hmy:

There laid a guilt trip on ya :blub:

:laugh:

7. Terry

:laugh:

note to self: get Vikki back later:dry: :laugh:

8. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Wait til I come and stay with ya, I wanna help ya get her back, mauahahahahahahaha :evil: :hysterica

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

If I did it, anyone can. I really thought I would go mad if I couldn't have a cigarette. And it was hard. I won't lie to you. Well, you know how hard it is. Every smoker has tried to quit. I did it and I wish I'd quit a long time ago. Since I quit, I can feel the damage I did to my lungs by smoking as long as I did. Every day that you smoke, you're wasting time, money and putting your health at risk just that much more.

I was as addicted as addicted gets and in the end, it wasn't a book or a tape or pills or patches that helped me quit. It was sheer willpower. You can do it. You may not think you can. Nobody ever thinks they can quit. But people do. I've been smoke free for a year now. a couple of years ago, I couldn't have ever imagined living without them. I (like you) was basically chain smoking 3 packs a day. And I just decided that I couldn't do it anymore. I slipped a time or two but am so glad I quit. No matter what else ever happens, I'll never start smoking like that again.

10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Terry, there's this new drug called Chantix that the docs are going nuts about. It is supposed to be the best thing to help people quit for good and I know people who have done it. Good luck! I know you can do it :)

11. Terry

Thanks peanut I'll look into it..I have no fecking willpower :mad:

And Random, :wootrock: you are definetly the man!!! Full of admiration for amyone who quits.

12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Terry - I don't know if this would work in your situation or not. But I'll suggest it anyway. I DID have a little help. See...because I don't work and therefore have no money of my own, I was using money my parents gave me to buy the cigarettes. Basically, they stopped giving me money for cigarettes and I had no way of getting them. If there's some way you could have someone control your money for you, it might make it easier. It's hard to buy them if you can't :wink:

I thought I was gonna die a few times but I pulled through. You just have to get yourself to the point to where you realize the worst thing that can happen if you quit smoking is you'll be moody and irritable and agitated for a few weeks. That's really the hardest part. After the first few weeks, it gets a lot easier.

Hell. It's probably worth having your activities restricted. Right after I quit, I got some kind of lung infection that lasted for about a month. And I thought I was going to die. Literally. I was coughing so much I couldn't do anything. I couldn't sit up, lay down, stand up, sleep. Nothing. I was coughing up all kinds of junk that looked horrible. I could barely eat or drink. After a week or so, I started to get dehydrated and began hallucinating. It was just...awful! It was supremely painful. For a few days, every breath I took produced some terrible stabbing pain between my ribs. Worst thing I've ever been through, health wise. So I think I quit just in time. I think I actually could have died. I was terrified that I'd given myself cancer. I didn't think I was going to make it.

So. Whenever someone asks me what they should do in order to try and quit, I tell them to do whatever it takes because those things will mess your lungs up badly. Even someone who wanted to go wouldn't want to go that way. You never realize how good it feels to take a deep breath without perpetual coughing and agony until you've been through something like that. I sincerely hope anyone who reads this who smokes takes this seriously and decides to quit. I believe people should be free to smoke if they really must. I loved smoking. I'm not some zealot who would force everyone to stop if I could. I just care about people and want to warn people. Don't fool yourself. Serious lung problems are not something anyone wants.

I hope you are successful. I know you can do it.

13. I've been smoking since I was 13, I'm 29 now with lung cancer, how ever it wasn't the cigs that gave me cancer, it was steriod use:mad:

14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Wow! Whatever it was, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess it technically doesn't matter how it happened but are you sure? I've never heard of steroids causing lung cancer? How would they know what caused it?

15. I too smoke cigs and can't stop.... once I made it a whole 12 hours then promptly lit up again. I've been smoking over 10 years but I really don't want to die this way. Nico-gum didn't work and I smoked while wearing the patch(very bad for you). I guess I need nico-rehab or something because I really wish I had never started. The only thing I have not tryed is the nicotine inhaler thing....... but does that kill you too? :unsure:

16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'm going to be completely honest and blunt here. Not because I want to be rude but because I want to help. Now keep in mind that I managed to quit after being a VERY heavy smoker for probably close to ten years. Chain smoker heavy.

The reason these things aren't working is because you haven't really decided you want to quit. I know. I went through hell with the same feeling. I knew that I should quit and I tried to quit many, many times but I didn't really want to quit. If you don't want to quit more than you want that next cigarette you simply won't quit as long as you have a way to get that next smoke.

In my experience, those patches and gums and stuff didn't work. The gum just tasted nasty and made me nauseous. The patch just made me itch and didn't really stay on well. But anyway. One brand is called "CQ (Committed Quitters, I think). If you really want to quit and commit to it, you'll quit with or without the gums and patches and so forth. But here's the brutal, honest truth. You will be miserable for a while until your body gets used to living without nicotine.

But make no mistake. Lung disease and cancer are both horrible diseases that you absolutely do not want. I don't care if I am suicidal. That isn't the way I want to go.

17. Terry

You are absolutely right Random and I know it. I too am a chain smoker and every time the thought "I ought to quit" goes thru my head, the smoker side of me starts in with the "but hell, how will I get thru the day without a ciggie".
    End result, I feel at war with myself, half of me knows all the reasons (and they are good ones) why I should quit. The other half is busy finding excuses why I should light up. :mad::sad:

18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I understand that. Seriously. At the time, I honestly didn't know how I was going to make it through each and every day. I was mad, nervous, frustrated and anxious all at once. And at the time, the prospect of getting some horrible disease didn't seem too serious. I mean, I knew it could happen and I guess I knew I'd be done for if it did but nicotine had such a tight grip on me that I didn't even care. At the time, I'd rather have died than live without smokes.

And now, looking back, I wonder what the hell I was thinking. It doesn't seem like such a big deal to me now that I've gotten past it. When I first quit, I slept a lot, I cooked, I cleaned, whatever to keep my mind off it. The hardest part is the physical cravings that you feel in the pit of your stomach. You don't notice that so much if you're up moving around and doing something. But avoid stress at all costs. When I first quit the slightest thing just really set me off. If you have a stressful job and you can afford to take a few weeks off, it would be well worth it. I don't think most employers would object if you explained to them why. Most employers would be glad if their employees stopped smoking. Not so many smoke breaks.

But as I said before, the best way to do it is if you have someone living with you who can just basically lock you down and keep you from impulsively going out and getting cigarettes. If not, perhaps you could have a friend stay with you and have them promise not to let you slip. I think I might not have made it if I could have gone out to buy them. It's only a few weeks and you will finally be free of those things.

19. Here's something that should make you quit, some very bad news. Did you know:
    The vessels in your heart actually become costricted as you smoke a cigarette, meaning: you can actaully have a heart attack while you're smoking!

20. Terry

knows it:sad: still smokes :sad: even worse..cigs change you at a cellular level making u prone to all types of cancer. SIGH