The drinking has spiriled out of control

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by JFM, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFM

JFM Member

I can't stop drinking. I have tried, and i have tried.

In fact, the more I say to myself, "No more booze", the harder I drink.

It used to be fun in college, now it's gotten embarrassing and dangerous. I black out, feel sick if I stick to "just a few" and even get more sick if I don't get drunk often.

Hangovers are getting horrifying. I feel hyper-anxious, I sweat out of my hands, can't say a word and I experience recurrent paranoias caused by having no knowledge of what I might have done the previous night.

Whenever I get that heaven-sent first drink, I have to be extra-careful not to spill as my hands shake visibly.

I know I can stop. But, at the same time, what for? My life has been one disillusionment after another.

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

:hugtackles:

I wish I could relate. I'm just starting my living-on-campus college experience, though. Wishing you the best...Mr. A

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I started down this road a while back.
    Drink was what I thought about, drink was what I spent copious amounts of money on, drink began to be the be all and end all.
    I'd started drinking to blot out grief and misery and it grabbed hold and nearly destroyed me.
    YOU HAVE TO STOP!! it wont go away, it will just get worse, destroying everything in its path.
    I stopped.
    I just woke up one day and by the grace of God I was able to stop.
    If you cannot stop on your own, GET HELP NOW!
    See your doc, join AA, whatever it takes.
    If you are blacking out and getting the shakes then it is reaching critical point and now is the time to take back control.

PM me if you need to, I'll walk with you.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hun Terry is right time to go to your doctor get into treatment okay go to AA
    Ask your doctor about going on medication to decrease that need for alcohol okay there are meds out there that will decrease craving
    You need therapy as well hun to deal with whatever drove u to drink in the first place
    Time to heal NOW hun before it destroys you hugs:hugtackles:

5. JFM

JFM Member

I'm glad to day I've been sober for two days now, even though it's been quite a terrible ordeal.

I am feeling horribly nervous, as if I might die all of a sudden. I haven't eaten anything substantial, nor do I have the stomach for such an endeavour right now because of some irritating nausea-

The feeling of impending death has slowly diminished, though. I shake a little and my hands and forehead sweat continuously

I have read about "alcohol delusions" and I'm scared. But I'm confident thiis is it. I'm sick of being ashamed, sick and embarrassed. I might feel like shit now, but i'll feel much better in a month or so, I am sure.

Thank you all for your support. The AA business, though, is not something I am considering. I refuse the "you can't do it by yourself" motto. Some tranquillizers wouldn't hurt, though

6. Terry

and in the meantime try Kalms (herbal remedy for nerves can be bought over the counter) and camomile tea.

7. JFM

JFM Member

still going....

8. JFM

JFM Member

still sober

9. Terry

Well done, and remember one day at a time and then suddenly you'll realise you havent even thought about it.

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Well done hun. Remember to reach out for support. Being alone with this can be hard. Here if you need us :hug:

11. albion

albion Account Closed

I'm sorry to hear that. I can sort of relate. I was peer pressured into drinking in college and things spiraled out of control for a while... For me the way to quit that worked was to address the root problems as opposed to the symptoms (aka other problems) that arose as a result of my habit. I know quitting definitely will not be a cake walk but I think there are definitely some long-term benefits on your health and your wallet. Don't give up and I wish you the best! :)

12. kote

kote Account Closed

well done!!! im going down the opposite path right now. although im having a hard time and this is how im coping. i do recognise i have a problem and wish to stop. but right now i just cant.

13. kote

kote Account Closed

any escape advice would be appreciated!!! i will talk to my dr. soon as ive just been put on lithium which i feel may have a link. but i ned to get out of this trap!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.