The end of the world 9/10/08? CERN

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by saint6, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

tomorrow?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moEzECvJDas

CERN is conducting an underground launch on Wednesday the 10th of September 2008 of their Large Hardon Collider which will basically create a small version of the big bang in order for us to understand how matter was created after the explosion happened. It could potentially help answer many questions about our universe; however, a professor is saying that their is a possibility of creating a black hole on earth that could potentially turn into chaos. A prediction by Nostradamus was made about a black hole near Vienna along with many quotes in the Bible (I am not a Christian). Be ready for the launch, it will be September 10th of 2008. Let's hope that nothing bad happens! Good luck to us all! -Video Information

is this true? anyone else hear anything about this? i just heard about it on another forum.
    i havent heard anything about it on the news, but is it just because they are trying to keep it away from the public?

if you know any more information about this, feel free to post.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I have read articles on this. I posted them here a while back but you can find them in google I think.
    I really hope the end of the world is tomorrow. That would be sublime :tongue:

3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've heard so much bout it and the supposed doomsday theorys but if you look into it, miniature black holes are formed naturally all the time and rapidly decay, so even if the LHC had the power required to produce one it would not be any threat.

4. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

lol how come i havent heard about it until today :tongue:
    im pretty sure also that it wont happen, but there is always that possibility that it could, you never know... so ya.:blink:

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

thats awesome:biggrin:

6. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I heard about this on NBC this morning. I doubt it will happen us humans get so paranoid of very little thing. The world was going to in WW1, WW2, Y2K, and many more times... it isn't going to happen.

7. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

The world isn't going to end this Wednesday from this machine; it needs time to gain enough speed for black holes to be able to be created. It will take up to a year's time before it, hypothetically, will cause the end of the world, which it, in fact, may. You just have to read the CERN safety report and they are not ruling it out.

There's still time to stop this.

8. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

hehe listening to this epic music and reading about this, and your post Hae-Gi about there is still time to stop this, makes me feel like this is a movie.:biggrin:

9. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Oh yeah, and the end of the world would not come at once, after about a year's time, either; instead it will come slowly, slowly breaking down the area around the machine and slowly accellerating, causing the black hole to become bigger. However, it will still remain extremely small, causing painful death for all that doesn't die from something else, before it would kill you. If anyone wonders, I'm not just assuming this scenario; I'm basing it on what scientists claim to know about black holes. I think it's been assumed that the world would slowly end within nine months to two years, if things go wrong with this machine, although it may be it was not those exact times that have been assumed, but it was something like that.

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I would not worry about this in the slightest. There's no way they'd be allowed to carry these experiments out if there was any real doubt. This is just fear mongering, most likely. Of course, I fully believe that humans will eventually muddle their way into something they know nothing about and really, seriously mess things up. But I doubt this is it. It will happen when it's least expected.

11. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Ditto ^ But I don't believe it will happen

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

We're still here! :D ;)

16 hours and 38 minutes into the day, and I'm still breathing!

13. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Ah but ive now read in a different forum its going to take 4 years to destroy us..........that 2012 date again!!!:blink: I think they are saying that for now they are sending a single proton around at very low speed, the proper collision tests arnt for the next month again those will be at low speeds, they recon the very big tests wont be until next year.

Also you've got to love the humour of the scientists working on it (I didn't manage to get through the whole video :)
    http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=8wwozHsmVQI

But Professor Brian Cox of Manchester University, who will be working on the ATLAS detector, responded angrily to doomsayers who have predicted an Armageddon.
    'Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a t***,' he told The Telegraph.

I am in fact immensely irritated by the conspiracy theorists who spread this nonsense around and try to scare people. This non-story is symptomatic of a larger mistrust in science, particularly in the US, which includes intelligent design amongst other things.
    The only serious issue is why so many people who don't have the time or inclination to discover for themselves why this stuff is total crap have to be exposed to the opinions of these half-wits.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7598996.stm

LOOOOVE prof Brian, so down to earth :laugh: (nothing to do with the fact hes also very gorgeous)

14. fromthatshow

Hooray for 2012 :biggrin:

I was rather disappointed that the world didn't end today.

15. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

it will not destroy the world at all! what they are doing is merely high speed collisions, which happens constantly in nature, the only difference is that we have set it up so we can watch it properly (even then we dont watch it directly, we only look at the fragments from the collision.) IF (and a very big IF) black holes were to be created they would be similar to virtual protons, popping in and out of existence so quick it would have no consequence.
    when they started up the engines today they were only firing one direction and no collisions are going to be done for a couple of months.
    All the malarcky about doomsday is ridiculous and unfortunately humans have been falling for the same doomsday malarcky for thousands of years!

16. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I can't understand how stupid can people be lol...

Dont they say that every 3 months?:)

17. fromthatshow

Do you think people are obsessed with the end of the world because they're stupid... or because we love drama?
    I don't think people are stupid for loving drama, I think it's just the way a lot of people are.

18. Datsik

Datsik Forum Buddy

Epic Fail!!

We're still alive.

Nothing happened.

Nothing will happen kthxbi.

19. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

:yawn: Well I'm still here.... anybody miss me? No? Because I didn't go anywhere. Maybe it was my cellulite that stopped the black holes from talking over the world. I wondered why I felt a suction on my leg today, and why I was limping ever so slightly.
    I bloody well hope we don't all die in 2012.
    That's when the Olympics are coming to My Home Town.
    I wanna make money outta that!!!!!!

Agreed with Elie :agreed:.
    oKtHANKSbYE. :tongue:

20. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Theories that people behind the project do not completely rule out are impossible, but the predictions of a Satanic priest are reasonable to believe in?

As a side note, it seems I was mistaken; it was never said anywhere that it would take nine months to two years until the black hole would start swallowing the Earth, if the hypothesis would be realised, but that it would take months to years. No more specific than that.

It really is laughable that they get into something they don't know enough about in the search for a fundamental particle that does not even exist. Everything must be built by something down to infinity; anything else clearly breaks the rules of logic. That this continually should mean that nothing exists, in the end, is a completely different matter. Humanity really is laughable... maybe humanity should start realising that the limited intellects of humans cannot fully percieve science as it really is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.