The Endless Story

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Jack Rabbit, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

New game... Continue the story. You can write as much or as little as you want. The only rules are, you have to continue the story that has already been written, no starting over; you can't kill off Charlie - it is The Endless Story.
    Here goes.

Charles F. Peabody sat alone at the kitchen table. He wore a grey suit, white shirt and a tie with fat blue and skinny gold stripes. He wore brown shoes and had a pink handkerchief folded carefully in his breast pocket. His feet were flat on the floor and his hands were flat on the table. Charles F. Peabody was waiting.
    He didn't quite know what he was waiting for, but he damn well knew he was waiting.

2. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

The old grandfather father clock was counting each moment that passed and Charles.F.Peabody's fingers began taping on the mahogony table infront of him in tune.
    The rain was beating down heavily outside, the grey clouds consumed the sky and there was a hint of thunder in the air as he sat there watching the droplets race down the window pane.

3. Jack Rabbit

"God damn it!" he cursed. "That is enough! It. Is. Flat. Fucking. Enough."
    Charles stood up. The chair spun backwards crashing into the wall. On the shelf above, trinkets teetered. A figurine, a ceramic girl with too big eyes, holding a bucket, skipping, fell over and crashed to the floor. Pieces skittered across the floor like cockroaches looking for hiding places.

Charles stepped, stiff-legged, to the back door overlooking the terrace. He jerked it open. The rain swirled into the dining room, turning Charles' grey suit to black, misting his glasses. Blinding him.

Charles turned, slamming the door behind him. He whipped off his glasses and hurled them away. He walked to the phone hanging on the wall. He picked it up and held it close to his face. It was still blurry, but it was clear enough to dial.

4. Jack Rabbit

"Hello?" came the soft voice through the tiny speaker.
    "Honey? It's Charles."
    "Why are you calling?"
    "I had to hear your voice."
    "I asked you not to call."
    "I know."
    "Please hang up."
    "I can't."
    "It's better if you do it. You know it will hurt when I do it."
    "Yes."
    "Charlie, hang up."
    "Please..."
    "No, Charlie. Hang up."
    Charles did. He slowly put the phone back on the hook. He leaned his head on the wall for a moment then turned and strode to the door. He went out into the yard and turned his head up to the sky. The water streamed from his face. Nobody could tell if Charles was crying. Not even Charles F. Peabody.

5. Jack Rabbit

Somewhere else Paige Roman hung up her phone with a sigh. She shook her head. Across the room Cask, the Cat, looked at her without blinking.
    "I know, Cask, but he's not an evil man."
    Cask blinked slowly.
    "No, I'm not going to kill him. It's not his fault he's dangerous."

6. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Charles paced the garden, wondering what to do. Suddenly, he strode across to his car, and drove to the store to get ice cream. Ice cream solves every problem.

7. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

To Charles' dismay, he realized that the ice cream he had just purchased was nnot ice cream at all, but frozen yogurt. Frozen yogurt, being the bastard child of the frozen confection world, did nothing but bring him to an epiphany: there are simply some things one should just not freeze.

He climbed back into his car to find his stereo stolen, and his windshield covered in bird droppings. This was proving to be a rather terrifying afternoon.

8. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

He sat in the car staring, giving himself a few moments to compose his thoughts.
    after a few moments of quiet contemplation he got out and calmly handed the keys to a homless man who was perched on a tree stump on the edge of the road.
    "here, you have her, i hope she brings you more luck than she bought me!" he said as he droped the jangling keys into the mans palm.

he looked at the long road ahead of himself, sighed and took the first step on what was going to prove to be an eventful journey

9. Jack Rabbit

As he walked, Charles loosened his tie, and discarded his jacket by the side of the road. He realized that he had given away more than the car, more even than his life. He was giving up Paige. He stuck his hands in his pockets and, as he started his walk along the steaming street, for the first time since he was 12 years old, Charles began to whistle.

10. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

As Charles whistled a swarm of bees flew down and buzzed around him...

11. funkyfrog

funkyfrog Member

but not even this could distract him from the sense of freedom he felt. Where would he go? What would he do? Only one thing was for certain, Paige couldn't ever know what really happened that night.

12. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

How did ice cream turn into frozen yoghurt?
    This was a disaster; was it a big conspiracy?
    How could we ever discover the truth behind the Choc-Mint-Chip?!

13. Jack Rabbit

Cask turned to Paige with a feline smirk. The problem was solved from his point of view.
    Paige shook her head sadly. "Poor man. He doesn't even know what happened that night, does he?"
    Cask purred loudly.

14. evilperson

evilperson Well-Known Member

Then a dragon fell from the sky.

15. Jack Rabbit

Charles stopped. Dragons didn't belong here. He poked it with his foot. It was dead. Thank goodness dragons couldn't live in this world. The dragon's metabolic rate wasn't allowed. But since dragons couldn't get here on their own, how had it gotten here. Had Paige sent it? Charles sobbed. The thought that Paige wanted him dead was more than he could bear.
    Charles started running, but suddenly he stopped. Paige would know that the dragon would die. She couldn't have sent it. He had to get to a phone.

16. evilperson

Then the dragon suddenly sprang to life.

17. Jack Rabbit

Charles heard the beast roar; he looked back over his shoulder. Dragon's died in this world - what in the Hell was that thing. "Oh, shit!" he cried. "A fucking Demon!" Charles started running for real. Now he wished he had bowed to technology and gotten a cell phone. Whatever happened Paige had to know what was going on.

18. Jack Rabbit

Charles saw a Starbucks on the next corner. Somebody would have a phone. He looked over his shoulder. No dragon. Where had the thing gone? Charles hit the door running. It bounced back out of the way. "Quick, I need a phone!" Charles yelled.
    "No phone, dude," said the barista. He was the only one in the store besides Charles.
    "Please," Charles cried, "it's an emergency. Life or death."
    Jeff, as his bowling shirt identified him, pulled out his cell phone and held it out. "Whose, man?" he asked.
    Charles grabbed the phone. "Your's maybe," he snarled.
    Jeff held up his hands. "Whoa, man." He backed up as far as he could go. "There's like $5 in the register, it's your's, man."

19. evilperson

"No, demons are chasing me," said Charles.

20. Jack Rabbit

"Hey man, just take the money, OK?"
    "Shut up!" Charles dialed Paige's number. "At least I know her number. Maybe obsession isn't so bad," Charles thought. While Paige's phone rang, Charles looked at the clerk cowering behind the counter. "Look, I'm not going to hurt you. Doesn't mean you won't get nailed in the crossfire. Do yourself a favor – go crawl into the deepest hole you can find. And don't come out until... Oh, shit! Just grab something to eat and head for the basement!"
    Paige answered, "Hello?"
    "Paige, it's me. Don't hang up. It's not me. I mean, it's me, but I'm calling about the Demons. They're here. Now."
    Paige was silent for only a moment. "There better be Demons after you, Charles. If they're not, I will be."
    "Only one so far. I think. Only saw one anyway."
    "One's enough. I'll call the Ring. You better come in. You can come in."
    "Thank you, Paige. I'll try," Charles said. "But," Charles hesitated, "this one looks like a dragon."
    Paige hissed. "It dared!"
    "Yeah. Not good."
    "Well, get here. I'll wait as long as long as I can."
    "Thanks," Charles paused. "See you."
    Paige hung up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.