The fact that there may be nothing at all scares me...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zee, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee

Zee Member

...just as much as the idea of going to Hell does. I'm still here right now because I fear nothingness after this life just as much as I fear Hell. The idea that death is like a dreamless sleep (You're aware and then you're not) scares the piss out of me.

2. muslim

muslim Well-Known Member

i dont get it do you believe in after life or not??

3. Zee

Zee Member

I don't know. I'm agnostic. I don't know if there is one or not. I don't know if there is a God... All I know is there's only one way to find out....And I'm too damn scared to do it. Trapped.

4. muslim

muslim Well-Known Member

dear zee

i thinck being fear from thing you doubt in its existance increase your fear

you must take one way to deal with the problem

exist or not exist

but i know that it exists

5. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

I am an agnostic too. Don't do it just to find out ,it will be a huge disappointment.

6. Syd

Syd Guest

Personally, the idea that there may be something scares me much more than the idea that there may be nothing.

7. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

yeah, quite agree with that, nothing is a bit scary maybes but if there's something bad after death then that's much worse.

But nobody REALLY knows, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

death does not really scare me, how I will die does though.

9. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

This thought used to send the coldest of chills down my spine when I was younger. It no longer does.

At age 5, we become aware of this possibility. It's primarily the purpose of religion. Whether there really is anything afterwards doesn't matter. If you're able to convince yourself through your religion, then you no longer fear this (most of the time, as the possibilty of nothingness will still cling to the back of your mind no matter how badly you've been indoctrinated.)

10. Syd

Syd Guest

It's the popularity and control of the idea that scares me, not the idea itself. ;p

People controlled by such an idea can be a great threat.

Humans are scary. Death is just death.

11. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

It's kind of ironic. The ultimate tool used to control is also the ultimate tool used to escape from that very control.

12. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

i was dead for 2 mminutes in 1991. the docs brought me back. what i saw was being suspended above the mbulance and all the commotion there. no lights, no tunnel, nothing but peace, no worries,dread, or what not. i'm not sure what others believe it to be, but for me i know what it is, and welcome the peace. just not ready to go yet. ppl still care about me. and i still care too.

13. Zee

Zee Member

I completely forgot about this thread. Thanks for all of your responses.

14. Zee

Zee Member

But what happens after you're done floating around above the commotion???? What does eternity hold?

15. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

You were dead for billions of years, and it didn't inconvenience you in the least. What's to be afraid of?

16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

PLEASE, if you want to get an idea about what is to come, read "Embraced by the Light". It is a near-death "true" story that blew my mind.

I loved this book...it's a 4-hour-read...totally entertaining and awesome, whether or not you believe this autobiography...

I cannot stress enough how much this book made me actually think about the hereafter and what is "in store" for all of us. It actually made me change my beliefs on Heaven and Hell (and I'm effing Catholic!). Please read it, and I'm not a psycho, I swear (holds dagger behind back to kill the infidels)...just kidding! :)

It made me happy :) If it doesn't change your views, it is at the very least entertaining as...Heaven?

17. I have absolutely no desire to live eternally, even if it were in "heaven."
    Besides, life is a gift only if you appreciate being alive. I don't.:mellow:

18. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

That's what death is, nothing. Why fear it? You won't be there anymore. Your consciousness will be gone.
    Crush an ant, do you think its consciousness lives on, somewhere? Off course you don't - that's nonsense. Why should a human being be any different. The hope of an afterlife is just wishful thinking.

19. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I believe in an afterlife/reincarnation/whatever you call it, because I CAN believe and because I WANT to believe. I don't want to think that this one go-around on this rock is all there is. My mind can't accept that possibility. So I believe that there's more than just 'this'. My belief is bolstered by books and real-life accounts of people concerning NDEs or the afterlife. My rearing and current beliefs and practices are Christian but my spiritual beliefs incorporate a lot of Eastern beliefs: a spiritual smorgasbord, if you will.

I believe my soul never dies, but changes perhaps, to what I don't know. And I believe sincerely that love NEVER dies, nor the good that comes from love and loving.

the infinite possibility romantic,

least

20. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Like everyone, I have no idea what happens when you die. I just hope it's something. I would rather face eternity in Hell than cease to exist altogether.

Naturally, I hope Hell isn't where I'm bound for.

I don't want the soul to die. I want to go on, to be me, to live in some other plane of existence. I don't know what i believe, but I know what I want. I want God to exist, just as I was taught, and that I might have a chance to be judged favorably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.