The first time you discovered the internet....

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by boo, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

what did you search? or do? I bet alot of you have been naughty....
    I got my first pc at 16 and yea i went crazy...
  2. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

errrrmmm I was sore for like 2 day eyes and hand ... :hiding:
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Horse racing statistics, replays and gambling sites.
  4. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

My parents used a dial-up service called Prodigy in the late '80s/early 90's. I wasn't allowed on unsupervised, but when I did get on, there was a maze game that I liked to play online.

I suppose that I discovered the internet proper in about 1995. My science teacher had just gotten a connection to the internet in her classroom and assigned us a project online. We had to go to this "Benjamin Franklin's Laboratory" and there was an interactive Benjamin Franklin who would walk you through experiments with electricy. Or maybe it was Thomas Edison. The memory is fuzzy.

My parents bought a computer later that year and they would let me get on with supervision to see X-Men websites. I got my own PC and connection in about '98, but it was dial-up, so I could only get on in the evenings after I came home from my job bussing tables. . .

. . . but as soon as I got to college, I finally discovered the internet in all its horrible glory. All the chatrooms and message boards that I could handle. I love the internet.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I was 15 and I would just be on AOL chat all day long lol
  6. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

I was 10, it was sooo slow :D
  7. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I can't honestly remember lol
  8. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

2400 baud modem. local university's kermit usenet. Internet proper shortly thereafter once my older siblings purchased a computer that had windows and could run a web browser. I remember calling a computer store and asking what speed of modem I would need to use the internet. First search I made was to see if the rumours about how easy it was to find instructions on how to make explosives that the media had been creating hysteria about at the time were true. Turned out they were. Internet was a wild freeballing place to be back then. Zero regulation.
  9. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

I thought WOW when it first came up on the screen. It was then brand new and I didn't know what to expect...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.