The Four-Hour Workday

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Why not? It's very unnatural for people to work 12 - 15 hours a day. I think it's unhealthy too. We could all be more creative and energetic working only four, maybe six hours a day.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

An average hunter-gatherer spent about 17 hours/week finding food. It's also been shown that productivity/hour increases as time spent working decreases (though usually total productivity does decrease).

Personally, I don't mind an 8 hour day, it offers time to get into a groove, but I hope I can negotiate a 4 day week with a 20 or 25% pay cut once I'm out of university.
  3. zzz

zzz Well-Known Member

Yes, about 40 years.

For a few of course it can be groovy.

But another word for groove is rut.

Rut def: a narrow or predictable way of life, set of attitudes, etc.; dreary or undeviating routine.

Keeps you brain dead and easily controlled I suppose.
  4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

work only 4 hours! id get barely anything done in a day!

i enjoy working, my work is my passion in life and to only do it for four hours isnt productive, its lazy
  5. poison

poison Well-Known Member

1. work smart, not hard. aka, efficency. if you can do all that you must in 4 hours... why not?
  6. zzz

zzz Well-Known Member

Then are you working?

Why label what you love doing as work?

Is making a cup of tea working?

Is playing football working?
  7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

despite loving my work yes it is still work, i work bloody hard and its good for me.
    its a job that pays my bills, pays for my other hobbies and keeps a roof over my head.
    i work many many hours and in breeding season i have frequently worked over 36 hours straight. in winter its hard graft all day everyday ranging from shovelling tonnes of gravel and handballing it about through to building agricultural barns and building new aviaries. its a job many people have quit from within 3 months due to it being "too hard".
    it has its bad times and its good times and by the end of breeding season your often cursing the job due to lack of sleep. this however doesnt stop me loving the work.
    work is also good for the mind, it keeps us motivated.
    And the work is done efficiently, but when your looking after 300 plus birds and their life is in your hands you cant decide what hours you work, their needs decide that.
  8. victor

victor Account Closed

work is when u do smth u dont like to get smth u dont want (coz u want to get twice as much) not depending on hrs lol and im starting next week (i really hope so) lol
  9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

there is no such thing as a bad job.
    Ive done some work in the past that others would consider to be bad work but it all comes down to perspective.
    Even when im scrubbing shit and killing and skinning chickens its all part of what keep the falcons alive.
    i dont understand this idea that work is a bad thing. ive met men who worked down the mines and despite the horrific conditions they loved and fought for their right to work.
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There's bad jobs out there. Unpleasantness doesn't qualify for it I don't think, but they can damage you physically and mentally.
  11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Jobs that turn a vibrant person into a mindless zombie for minimum wage are bad jobs. haha

I've worked a couple of jobs, like say... serving at catering events and administration things where my work day was literally only 3-4 hours. If the pay is right, then it can feel quite rewarding-- otherwise it feels like a complete fucking ripoff.
    Work has to pay you enough to actually live. If it does that well enough, I don't see how working short days, regular days or a bit of overtime would be too horribly bad... until you've been working them for years and years without a raise and want to shoot yourself. then, yes. it's bad- no matter what it is; if it makes you feel like that.
  12. pit

pit Well-Known Member

All right. Gonna put you to work, bhawk, so I can get more R & R time.
  13. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I stopped somewhere today and ... she told me the hours were 7 to 9 (14) 7 days/week for up to 6 months or more.

8 hours is fine. But I'm with you on 10 and 12 hour days being too much. I think it's ok sometimes because life happens, but it's being abused by the system right now. I don't know when we as a country will evolve away from it, but I think we will.

Some businesses have become so familiar with illegal immigrants or barely legals that they still think 12-16 hour days are normal. This is especially true in the fishery industry. Since it's seasonal they push real hard to get as much as they can in a small period of time because of the often unmoderated competition. For example, california swarms the local waters for crab in the peak season with boats that function as both the fishing vessel AND the processor. They catch 10's of thousands of pounds and process it ONBOARD and last I looked california doesn't limit their activity enough for the competition to be effectively 'refereed'. And then you have the tons and tons of immigrants that dominate the work force. They're a population just waiting to be exploited and have been for decades by clever businessmen. Many decades of this insanity has led to a situation where change is difficult because it has become ingrown. Moving away from this paradigm will require time and significant strides in the work place (not just from above).

Whats worse is we can't control what other countries do. If they work their workers 16 hour days, we can do little to stop them other than to limit trade with that country but that's extremely hard to sell in washington because many people see this as helping the poorer nations catch up with the modern world and also because corporations mostly only care about the bottom line and want to buy from the cheapest source (which can mean the most effectively exploited workers, unfortunately). Then our fisherman suffer and we're forced to lower our standards to compete. It's a situation no one should be in but this world is big and no country exists alone. We can't puff our chests out and be high and mighty and demand that everyone follows our standards. In an idealistic sense it's noble, but it never flies in reality. Reality is not black and white. Reality is full of holes and it's not good or bad and it's neither pretty nor ugly. For every point mankind is bad and vile and corrupt we can point to animals and see the same. We can point to nature and see the same.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  14. Raven

Raven Guest

That way they do not have to pay me anymore when I have to get up and work at 10:00 to 11:00 then from 13:00 to 15:00 and then drive in for my 17:00 start time.

I would never get anything done in 4 hours, that would only cover the paperwork for doing the real work :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.