The Friend Barrier

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by echo_bravo, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo_bravo

echo_bravo Member

I want to tell my friend that I am severely depressed and am going through a rather suicidal time in my life and I don't know how to broach the subject. She is the kind of person who is always happy and upbeat and just never gets depressed, so she finds it hard to see how anyone could be the way I am. To add to that, an old classmate of mine killed herself a few months ago and my friend told me she thought it was stupid. She didn't understand why anyone would be so rash and use a permanent solution to fix a temporary problem. She said they probably just wanted attention and thought suicide was the only way to get it.

How do I explain to her why people feel this way?

How do I explain to her that it doesn't always feel so temporary?

How do I tell her that could be me?
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think education re suicidality could be helpful before speaking to her...maybe sending her something authoritative, and information that reflects how you are feeling might stimulate a conversation...also, knowing how she feels, what do you want to get out of a conversation with her? just my thoughts, J
  3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I wouldn't tell her.. Instead I would see a pdoc and a therapist..You can talk to them without any judgement being thrown in your face..Besides if you tell her I think she would abandon you..
  4. echo_bravo

echo_bravo Member

It sucks the most because she is the most important person in my life and I really do want to let her know what's going on. I have faith that she wouldn't abandon me. She's been with me through so much already. I think I just need to find the right words and the right time to tell her.

I definitely need to find a good pdoc or therapist that I can trust. My biggest fear is that in the small town where I live, objectivity isn't the most important thing.

I will definitely work on figuring all this out. Thanks for the advice!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.