• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

The Good Old Days does anyone remember when...

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
What good old days?? Because actually my childhood was hell. So, in comparison, the good old days is right now! Because I feel good right now. Because of all the knowledge I've accumulated which enables me to solve my problems.
During my childhood I did not even know what would make me happy. Then as I grew older I slowly but surely knew what would make me happy and I made plans to reach my goal. After 60 years of struggle I finally reached my goal last December (as you can see from my separate thread "My Ultimate Dream came true"). That's why I say the good old days is right now!

Dante

Took 5 years to learn how to make a custom title.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Remember the good old days when you buy something and its yours, its not theirs on loan to you and you dont need a subscription service just to use it?

Windows used to be an operating system meant for you to use, now its full of of adverts and spyware and finds all sorts of ways to harass you to use it how they want. you used to be allowed to play games however you like, now even offline only games have anti-cheat enabled, whats so wrong with me wanting my protagonist in the game to beat cops to death with a 20 inch dildo whilst jumping over buildings like in the Grand Theft Autos of old, even BMW is planning to make their car owners pay monthly for the privilege of using their own car's heated seats, if they stop paying, BMW remotely disable the seat heater. WTF?

If I go to a shop and buy a thing, I want to OWN it, and no one is allowed to tell me how to use it, Just like the good old days.

LonelyHiker

Waitering for Godot
SF Supporter
I remember when neighbors knew each other and cared about each other.
When you could buy an entire house for the price of what you pay for a basic car these days.
When all you needed to watch TV was an antenna. No cable bills.
When gas cost less then 50 cents a gallon.
When you could actually afford medical care.
When kids could play in the yard or ride their bike to a friends house without fearing getting shot or kidnapped.
Yes, I even remember typewriters, phone booths and black and white TV.
When both parents did NOT have to work.
Yes, I am old. And wish some of these things could return.
I remember some of this (not <50c gas), and I can so relate..

I miss the whole neighbor/neighborhood thing. When I was a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, EVERYONE in our neighborhood knew one another. We'd have huge block parties for memorial day, July 4 and labor day, Christmas gatherings, summer barbecues etc. All of the neighborhood kids played and roamed around the neighborhood and the woods that bordered it, no supervision/playdate bullshit, we just had to be home for dinner.

T.V. was 8-10 channels, and was stuff worth watching. Now it's 500 channels for 100 bucks a month and 99.9% of it is pure crap. I haven't had cable for over 25 years...I still have an antenna (albeit digital), suits me just fine.

Nobody connects with each other anymore, unless it's through a screen. You look out the window and see social media zombies glued to their phones, falling down open manholes and into fountains.

Dante

Took 5 years to learn how to make a custom title.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I remember when neighbors knew each other and cared about each other.
When you could buy an entire house for the price of what you pay for a basic car these days.
When all you needed to watch TV was an antenna. No cable bills.
When gas cost less then 50 cents a gallon.
When you could actually afford medical care.
When kids could play in the yard or ride their bike to a friends house without fearing getting shot or kidnapped.
Yes, I even remember typewriters, phone booths and black and white TV.
When both parents did NOT have to work.
Yes, I am old. And wish some of these things could return.
Ah neighbours you know, Eric and Marion on one side, Cis on the other, Ciss was nice enough, but kinda deaf, we could hear her TV through the wall, Eric was really pleasant and was always up for a chat, he even looked after our house when we went on holidays, and we did the same for them. Now, one side has who knows how many people from I think Nigeria judging from their accents (I have seen at least 10 unique faces coming and going into a 3 bedroom house) and the other side I have only seen once, they look like 2 guys straight out of the redneck end of the southern states, which is weird considering I live in rural England. I have never interacted with either household and trust them both about as far as I can piss into a strong headwind.
I used to go to the park alone as a small child, but if I ever had a kid I wouldnt let them out of my sight until they were at least 15.

People didnt used to suck as bad as they do now...

extraterrestrialone

untwisting the pretzel
SF Supporter
What good old days?? Because actually my childhood was hell. So, in comparison, the good old days is right now! Because I feel good right now. Because of all the knowledge I've accumulated which enables me to solve my problems.
During my childhood I did not even know what would make me happy. Then as I grew older I slowly but surely knew what would make me happy and I made plans to reach my goal. After 60 years of struggle I finally reached my goal last December (as you can see from my separate thread "My Ultimate Dream came true"). That's why I say the good old days is right now!
its so good (or surely must be) to know that you’ve accomplished something. i’m still working at that. i recall things from my past that i miss but if your good old days are now, i think that must be a really satisfying and happy thing for you Winslow. i can only continue to work on finding that for my self. i hope saying congrats is appropriate and wishing you many more good old days to come. 😊

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
A great philosopher once wrote
Naughty, naughty, very naughty
Ha ha ha ha ha
There's a guy in the place who's got a bittersweet face
And he goes by the name of Ebeneezer Goode
His friends call him 'Ezeer and he is the main geezer
And he'll vibe up the place like no other man could
He's refined, sublime, he makes you feel fine
Though very much maligned and misunderstood
But if you know 'Ezeer he's a real crowd pleaser
He's ever so good, he's Ebeneezer Goode
You can see that he's mischievous, mysterious and devious
When he circulates amongst the people in the place
But once you know he's fun, and something of a genius
He gives a grin that goes around from face to face to face
Backwards and then forwards, forwards and then backwards
'Eezer is the geezer…

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Admin
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I do love a good old paper book. My home is a testament to that. I have far more books than is practical, but I don't really care. If the day comes I move again I'll have to pare that down again, moving all those books was a right pain in the ass last time and it's grown since.

I miss written letters. Something about it just meant something special. It's part of why my cards are so important to me. It's the closest I can get these days.

I remember gas being $0.80 on Tuesday's. God that was long time ago. It was a joyous day for me, because it meant I could afford to get to work. HA.

On the other side of it there are things I'm just now in the last couple of years getting to experience that are pretty amazing. The joy of opening a gift you know someone picked out special just for you, or even made just for you. That wasn't something I experienced in the good old days. While things change, there are sometimes good changes that come out of it too.

extraterrestrialone

untwisting the pretzel
SF Supporter
I do love a good old paper book. My home is a testament to that. I have far more books than is practical, but I don't really care. If the day comes I move again I'll have to pare that down again, moving all those books was a right pain in the ass last time and it's grown since.

I miss written letters. Something about it just meant something special. It's part of why my cards are so important to me. It's the closest I can get these days.

I remember gas being $0.80 on Tuesday's. God that was long time ago. It was a joyous day for me, because it meant I could afford to get to work. HA.

On the other side of it there are things I'm just now in the last couple of years getting to experience that are pretty amazing. The joy of opening a gift you know someone picked out special just for you, or even made just for you. That wasn't something I experienced in the good old days. While things change, there are sometimes good changes that come out of it too.
i have a closet full of me that i put away 26 or 7 years ago. been dying to pull all that stuff out. i’d be happy to move to a better place too even if each carton is too heavy. been wanting to remember things. when i was a kid a bus ride was 15¢. now its $2.75, but what made it special was the token you used to pay when getting on the bus. a cute little thing slightly smaller than i dime i think and brass... something to collect

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Some of the good old days I remember perhaps because as I age I feel a fondness for simpler less complicated times at times...

TV stations all went off at Midnight with this exact video of High Flight.

The Blue Laws where Sunday most all the stores were closed and other than bars here all stores and restaurants closed at 9:00 PM during weekdays. Everything seemed a slower, more relaxed pace. I did like the earlier reference on TV channels, no video on demand or any of that, even cable channels were limited in number. When I was a younger fella, say 12 or so and it was Summer and could stay up late checking out the Sunday TV listings for what was coming up to plan to watch favorite shows.

pooky

You are valuable :-)
Um , I go the store to buy stuff and come back home and have it.I go to the farmers market to buy vegetables. I barely use the membership option where we have to make a card and go to the store , take a trolley and wait in line to take the things to home. I buy from online but not so often.What good old days is being talked about because I still do it this way which is considered old? ;)*popcorn

Rasmus

I never lived the old days, just heard about them, but it sounded good. The price of the petroleum barrel was enough to move our economy and the money wasn't entirely stolen from us. You could eat 3 times a day, you could even find products from all over the world and buy them without getting out of money. Crime was still a thing, as it has always been, but not like what it is now, you could go out even if it was dark outside, and even if it was, most of the thugs were not armed with actual fire guns. The problem with drug trafficking wasn't that bad and the big drug lords didn't own the country. People used to travel as simple tourists and not as inmigrants, looking for a better life. You could actually vote and it actually meant something. We could use our own form of currency because it had value and devaluation wasn't so big. It all sounds really good.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00