The Good Old Days does anyone remember when...

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
how about this one...
once upon a time if you needed to buy something you’d go to the store, buy it, go home and have it.
now you have to get a membership card, spend minimums, wait on long lines coming in and going out, plus register on line to try to get that come on ‘something’ for free but can’t, or to find that the thing you wanted is out of stock or you have to buy a 6 year supply wrapped in a plastic covering, an inner plastic covering plus boxes in a box, of items that expire in 1 year and 3 months. or perhaps the medium size actually fits xlarge! and inevitably having to call and listen to some kind of lobotomizing music for 23 minutes or more.

so just wondering, What Good Old Day do you remember?

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Same way I did back then! Helps to barely be able to work a computer though (this would be considered advanced / or the “peak,” _ “pinnacle!” Of my capabilities, or success ~^>

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Don’t know about the lobotomy’s though — ever since I had mine @ the “ghetto chop|~^>*_• tings hav felt a little strange n’ uncertain (he smiles at every thing, now!) :D

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I feel like I'm in the mid range for age of this site so what is "good ol days" for me isn't the same as some other people but.. this is what I've got off the top of my head.

I miss music that isn't digital. EPs/albums in particular. Holding it in your hands is different than having it streamed to you. Reading the liner notes and realizing Jimi didn't say "kiss this guy" after all. *confused Even if it got a scratch or a pop, there was probably a story to that.

I miss actual paper books. They take up space and aren't as economical so these too are going "out" but there's nothing like flipping through the pages while you read from chapter to chapter about your favorite characters. The scent of books is so unique they have even made it into candles now! And for the people who knew better than to ever dog ear a page, there will millions of bookmarks to choose from that would display some kind of personality choice - be it a pricey bookmark from a high end store or a receipt from the garage, it said something about you.

I also miss cameras that aren't digital. Digital cameras are great, don't get me wrong. But look at a Polaroid. You know you waited not-so-patiently flapping that photo around wildly waiting for it to develop (even though that did nothing but bide your time). No time to recreate the "perfect" look or even to re take the pic because 1) the moment has passed but also 2) they were expensive at about $1 each.

I could go on all day with this I imagine. There are tons of great things about modern life - costs of electronics being so cheap or being able to pick between 500 TV channels but who doesn't want to go to the drive in on a saturday night still?

Egg119

SF Supporter
I miss actual paper books. They take up space and aren't as economical so these too are going "out" but there's nothing like flipping through the pages while you read from chapter to chapter about your favorite characters. The scent of books is so unique they have even made it into candles now! And for the people who knew better than to ever dog ear a page, there will millions of bookmarks to choose from that would display some kind of personality choice - be it a pricey bookmark from a high end store or a receipt from the garage, it said something about you.
I still only read paper books, and my book mark is the wristband from the last music festival I went to *hi5

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I totally get the music thing. I have no idea how to download music, I can just about find stuff on YouTube. I miss going to the record shop as soon as my pay for month arrived and coming out with several LP's complete with clear sleeves to protect the covers. Getting home, pulling them out of the cover and feeling the static coming off of them before putting them on the turntable and gently dropping the needle into place.
We haven't even got a CD player now. It's all programmed into a computer which I have no idea how to use..

And this year I'm soooooo missing live music. Had so many gigs lined up :(

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
The good old days to me were the days without responsibility. I can remember staying up late to play worms, just one more game. I can remember macdonalds breakfasts and having an extra hash brown on a Sunday morning and walking around all the local boot fairs. In fact I can remember eating and not feeling guilty. I can remember binge watching videos, had the whole friends series and the Star Trek videos (hence the boot fairs!) I can remember not having to worry about what was going to happen tomorrow, what bad news or stress was someone going to throw at me. I can remember not having a mobile phone so I could just be, without that constant connection. The good old days were the days when I didn’t wake up wishing I hadn’t.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
The good old days to me were the days without responsibility. I can remember staying up late to play worms, just one more game. I can remember macdonalds breakfasts and having an extra hash brown on a Sunday morning and walking around all the local boot fairs. In fact I can remember eating and not feeling guilty. I can remember binge watching videos, had the whole friends series and the Star Trek videos (hence the boot fairs!) I can remember not having to worry about what was going to happen tomorrow, what bad news or stress was someone going to throw at me. I can remember not having a mobile phone so I could just be, without that constant connection. The good old days were the days when I didn’t wake up wishing I hadn’t.
I guess the good old days were good! Weren't they!

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
The good ol’ days. . . May not return —
The rocks might melt; & the sea may burn..)
I’m lead in’ to fly ! ! ! But I ain’t got wings-~/|\~_^•*> (comin’ down!) . . . Is the hardest thing!•] ;^)_

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I remember when neighbors knew each other and cared about each other.
When you could buy an entire house for the price of what you pay for a basic car these days.
When all you needed to watch TV was an antenna. No cable bills.
When gas cost less then 50 cents a gallon.
When you could actually afford medical care.
When kids could play in the yard or ride their bike to a friends house without fearing getting shot or kidnapped.
Yes, I even remember typewriters, phone booths and black and white TV.
When both parents did NOT have to work.
Yes, I am old. And wish some of these things could return.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I remember when neighbors knew each other and cared about each other.
When you could buy an entire house for the price of what you pay for a basic car these days.
When all you needed to watch TV was an antenna. No cable bills.
When gas cost less then 50 cents a gallon.
When you could actually afford medical care.
When kids could play in the yard or ride their bike to a friends house without fearing getting shot or kidnapped.
Yes, I even remember typewriters, phone booths and black and white TV.
When both parents did NOT have to work.
Yes, I am old. And wish some of these things could return.
kinda brings a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. i have a story for each thing you mention! 😢

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
@SillyOldBear we lived in a house and in the basement were a bunch (few) old radios. does anyone remember that radios used tubes. like little pronged light bulbs that lit dimly and did what a receiver needs to do to capture the signal. so my older brothers got hold of one of those radios first and started listening to r & r and the like. of course i started listening too. my first favorite song was ‘tan shoes and ping shoelaces” by dodie stevens. but i was also very interested in the radios. i remember going down to the electronic store (radio and tv) and finding the right kind of tube for those that had burned out. that eventually led to building my own crystal radio. childhood fun. i loved listening to far off places too. my father had a short wave radio. do they even have short waves anymore? but doesn’t this make sense... i love the idea of faraway places, flying through the air, it made sense that i must have been from elsewhere. but i wish i could have stuck with radio and the eventual changes that occurred. but there was a whole aura about electronics that now just seems hard and cold and missing something human. and
I miss music that isn't digital. EPs/albums in particular. Holding it in your hands is different than having it streamed to you. Reading the liner notes and realizing Jimi didn't say "kiss this guy" after all. *confused Even if it got a scratch or a pop, there was probably a story to that.
...you so hit the nail on the head. somehow things seemed real. and with reason and having that “story”. yup so many stories!!!!

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
@SillyOldBear we lived in a house and in the basement were a bunch (few) old radios. does anyone remember that radios used tubes. like little pronged light bulbs that lit dimly and did what a receiver needs to do to capture the signal. so my older brothers got hold of one of those radios first and started listening to r & r and the like. of course i started listening too. my first favorite song was ‘tan shoes and ping shoelaces” by dodie stevens. but i was also very interested in the radios. i remember going down to the electronic store (radio and tv) and finding the right kind of tube for those that had burned out. that eventually led to building my own crystal radio. childhood fun. i loved listening to far off places too. my father had a short wave radio. do they even have short waves anymore? but doesn’t this make sense... i love the idea of faraway places, flying through the air, it made sense that i must have been from elsewhere. but i wish i could have stuck with radio and the eventual changes that occurred. but there was a whole aura about electronics that now just seems hard and cold and missing something human. and
...you so hit the nail on the head. somehow things seemed real. and with reason and having that “story”. yup so many stories!!!!
just forgot to mention tv too which was buying tubes for also. there was something really special just being in that store because it was so integral to the tv and radio and signal that exist and come in via antenna and meeting tube etc.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Good old days for me is as a kid, walking barefoot along a path of dirty or gravel, can't do it now, older, and that shit would hurt my feet. LOL. Fishing in a pond or tank for catfish with a cane pole(look it up if you don't know) and going home to dress fish for a fish fry complete with hush puppies and French fries. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00