the hard part - learning to accept the not-so-bad times

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Wastingecho, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

this is not the kind of personal post i'm used to making, so please bear with me

depression sucks - doubt any of you will argue that point - it predisposes you to react badly to stress, loss, rejection, many aspects of your life - and it's been doing it to me for almost 40 years now

if you had to catalog most of my initiated posts here since i've been around, you can recognized a lot of pain, anger, self-loathing, etc...which should come as no surprise

but if that was all i had to put up with for that long, well...i wouldn't have survived this long

the hardest part of the whole experience was learning to try and hold on until things changed at least a little - to reach for the not-so-bad times

don't misunderstand - it's easy to hold on to the good times - birth of my kids, daughter graduating college next month - you get the idea

but for me those moments are few and far between and still somewhat fleeting

so i've had to recognize that, while my depression will never leave me, the extremely painful moments, the bad times, are usually temporary if i can only hold on long enough

sometimes it's easy - most of the time lately it's been so incredibly difficult - and i know that i have come close, especially in the last few years, to taking that irrevocable last step, winding up in the emergency room on more than one occassion

i keep trying to force myself at some level to remember that the misery will pass if i can just hold on long enough

without the support of this site...well i wouldn't be around to write this

so while this may have rambled a bit i just want to stress 2 points i was trying to make in the hopes that others can draw some strength

one - this site and its people are a godsend - keep posting, keep talking - eventually you will find a bunch of folks who can identify and show that they care (thank you all again)

two - try to hold on until the not-so-bad times - who knows - you may end up with new good times - i'm not the strongest person so if i can do it you can too

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Wow, Echo..Amen (and awomen) and for the record, you deserve goodness

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Thank you for that. I've noticed a pattern of ups and downs in my life too, and sometimes have to remind myself that things will get better. All is not lost. Your post gives me some courage. Thanks. :hug:

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Echo I hope you continue to find many of those good times worth holding on for :hug:

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

:hug: Your post is reassuring, and I hope people will read your words and draw strength from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.