the harder I try to be happy the less happy I am.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by EisNayk, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EisNayk

EisNayk Well-Known Member

the more I try to force myself to be happy the less happy I am. the more I try to fix myself the less happy I become. I just do not understand why am I putting forth so much effort yet ending up taking steps back instead of steps forward. the more I think about this the more I think I am just going to either turn and hurt myself or worse lash out at others around me. keep constantly crying all the time too.
  2. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Hi. I know how you feel, I've felt myself be stuck in a slump many times.. I think the problem is that forcing yourself to be happy will not make you happy at all. Starting off with small things like playing games, reading books or other various hobbies that you have enjoyed in the past will slowly help you enjoy things again. Jumping right in and saying "Hey I'm fine, I love life" is just silly because really, you won't be fine with just saying that. Forcing yourself to smile with a mask only makes you feel more and more hidden and you begin to lose your true feelings and act for other people's sake. Eventually you would just break down. If you feel like crying, you should cry. It helps you vent everything that has built up inside you, if you need to let it out in anger; try screaming into your pillow or in other ways like drawing a picture to express your feelings.. even strumming out on some instruments to make music out of your feelings! If there is people close to your heart then I'm sure they will help you get over your feelings or even help you begin to be able to cope with them and move on, even if you get a bit cranky at them sometimes. Sharing your worries with close friends/family will help it feel like a weight is being lifted. :)
  3. EisNayk

EisNayk Well-Known Member

I did do that in the beginning but the unhappiness is ever growing and it only begins to build faster. I have already lost the race twice made 2 attempts on my life barely a year apart. now it seems like it is building ever so faster feels like I am walking the tight rope and the wind is just about to make me fall. have talked to friends and family but in the end I am still unhappy with my life.
  4. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Trying to force yourself to be happy as you said does make things worse I have many of times put that fake front on and to find later on i really go down bad.Just trying to find little things each day you might enjoy or can find to take your mind off things can be very helpful and never kick yourself in the guts if you happen to fall as we all do.Just do things in small steps and everyday is a challenge and somedays are a bigger challenge just try and keep working through and find some coping strategies to help I know this is easier said than done but always remember it will take time and somedays are going to be hell but little by little things will come together.Even just getting onto this forum and venting a little can be used as a coping strategy simple things like that.Take care
  5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi Devin - that's the thing about happiness - it is so elusive, and when we make it our priority it tends to become all the more elusive. This seems to be the case for many, if not all.

I read someone's signature here the other day (can't remember whose it was) but thought it was really profound. Someone in conversation with the Buddha, saying the same thing about happiness

went something like:

"I want happiness"............ and the Buddha replied, "Take out the I and the want - and you will have it"

The reasoning? - I = ego, want = desire.

2 most basic components to our worldview.

This is a gr8 invitation to take it further :) - the start of the inward journey of self awareness and discovery :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.