The holiday season is quickly approaching...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by pisces-music-girl, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

One month until Christmas Day. One month..........

Let me start off by saying I hate Christmas. I loathe it utterly and completely. I hate it with everything I've got. I hate practically everything about it.

Why do I hate it? I remember my general dislike of the holiday being gone when I was twelve- now just for the record, I stopped believing in Santa at nine. So in three years something changed.

The magic of the season was gone. I didn't know what happened to it. The magic... everything I used to like... was missing. It went away. That magic-missing-feeling continued into the next year and straight on through last year.

Now kids my own age look at me like I have two heads when I say Christmas is my least favorite holiday and that I hate it. They say, "But all the presents!"

EXACTLY! THE GODDAMNED PRESENTS! I hate that kids my own age... even people older and wiser than me... only care about the presents. It's all material. The consumerism of this holiday... the advertising, the commercials... they literally eat at my insides like acid. It burns, it eats away... ugh...

It's like our souls are being sold to the commercialized world as we speak. The Christmas season starts before freaking Halloween in the department stores. I hate how Christmas is early. How it is a reason to have big sales- fucking Black Friday starting at fucking four am.

What the hell is wrong with everybody? Can't they see? Do they not have a clue?

Last year I was made fun of for hating the commercails. I'm called a Scrooge. People laugh in my face when I say I hate Christmas.

I hate the lights. I used to like them, but now I hate them. Especially those god-awful six foot blow up light up things. I hate those.

I could go on for hours about this...

Every year, for me, is a search around Christmas time. Every year at this time, I am forced to look back to last year and see that my life has come full circle. That my life IS an unrelenting circle that I cannot escape. That I want an escape...

And Christmas music- the chruch music, at least, is about awating a savior. Which I have been doing for the longest time. So I can really put feeling into the church music BECAUSE I feel it. And for those of you that do not know what the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is, they make the best Christmas music. It makes me cry because I understand it.

There's a line in the poem about how angels can see souls that bleed. That they can see the depth of one's pain, see the scars upon our eyes (the worst kind of scars because they distort all we see)... and when the angel comes upon one man, he/she/it reels back because it is shocked by the depth of this one man's suffering...

And that is the kind of Christmas music I like. ONe that acknowledges there is suffering. The kind that is searching, yearning, hoping for something. And that's the only part of Christmas I enjoy... but not the carols. For the love of god, the carols grate on my ears.

Does anyone else feel this way? care to expand? Comment?

Thanks for listening.
  2. danni

danni Chat Buddy

i do in a way, some ppl just want and want that all they care for but they dont see the true reason why we have that holiday. For me i could care less what i get tbh i dont want anything all i want is to be around the loves one and my friends that all i care about. cause present can be replaceable but ppl can't and some ppl dont see it that way. :hug:
  3. riz

riz Senior Member

A friend of mine feels the same way as you--and so do I, in a way.

My friend and I are very strong Atheists, so besides the religious aspect of Christmas that we both despise, we both loathe the consumerism obsession. Presents are getting ridiculous. Since when is it a good idea to just run out to the store and buy someone a terrible lotion gift set, or just the most expensive version of their favorite stuff. Sometimes, to really get back into the spirit, you have to have a homemade cookie exchange, or a craft night where everyone makes presents from scratch and exchanges them.

My friend is still against every part of the holidays, because like you--he hates the lights, the music, and the commercials. The only difference between me and him is I make my own holiday cheer.

Fuck expensive gifts.
    Fuck the overplayed Christmas music.

During the holidays, you know where to find me:
    In a cozy corner of my house, listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra, (whom I love, by the way) knitting my friends some scarfs. (sp?) At least they'll know my gifts came from the heart.
  4. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

I hate Christmas. I hate the fact that it makes everyone so damn happy. A few lights and it's as if everyone is a child again.

How can people not see through the fakeness, the emptiness of it all?

What's worse...Christmas as a time for families and friends. Well, fuck that. There's a reason most divorces happen in January. It's the enlightened couples who realise that a few decorations aren't going to fix their fucked up lives. The one thing I hate more than a fucked up family life is a fucked up family pretending to be perfect for those few days...I hate it...
  5. neutral

neutral Well-Known Member

The holiday season is good for one thing...
    ...Two bank holidays off work :tongue:

However people striving to get the biggest, best-est , most expensive presents is tiring to say the least.

Or listening to them at work...

Work college A: Morning.
    Neutral: Morning.
    Work college A: Are you excited about Christmas this year!?
    Neutral: Not really.
    Work college A: Why !?!!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Neutral: Its just another point in time. Its the same as the points in time that have past and the ones to come.
    Work college A: Sssssccccrrroooooggggeeee !!!
    Neutral: * Continues with his work.

Work college B: Morning.
    Work college B: What did you get for Christmas?
    Neutral: Some rechargeable batteries and a pair of socks.
    Work college B: I got a wide screen TV, A new car, and a new set of parents imported from Dubai. Why have you got such lame presents!?
    Neutral: I needed some socks and rechargeable AA batteries.
    Work college B: * Walks off looking confused.
    Neutral: * Puts a sign on his desk banning further conversation about Christmas.

Work college C: Morning.
    Work college C: what's that sign !?.
    Neutral: Please see the overleaf of the sign.
    Work college C: Oh.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I don't feel dread anymore. I just feel okay with it and look at it with indifference. I used to hate it. I just need to stay away from all shopping centres and I'll be fine. :wink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.