The Holidays

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Godsdrummer, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Anyone have trouble getting into the mood or the "spirit" of the season. Folks are putting up holiday lights on their homes and I almost want to puke when I see them.

I know it's my depression and my feeling like I can't enjoy Christmas this year.

Anyone else feeling the holiday blahs?:sigh:
  2. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. I mainly put up my christmas tree to keep kitties from destroyin the box it was in. But otherwise I just don't feel the holidays. I never do. Mainly it's the depression and the thoughts that always go through my head.
  3. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

Very, very much so. Truth be told, I don't think I've ever really loved the holiday season. But I'm sort of at an all time low this year. And the way the media and big corporations exploit already struggling consumers into a materialistic frenzy just gets more and more over the top every year. Just so over it.
  4. ConfusedSilence

ConfusedSilence Well-Known Member

I haven't felt Christmassy in years. I don't like how confusing all of the social aspects are (How much to spend, who to buy presents for, what to buy?) because it's exhausting.

Also, my favourite presents are the ones that are thoughtful, like the Idina Menzel cd that my mother got me that I didn't even ask for, or the Waterstone's card; and I never seem to get these anymore.

Festivities? Bah, humbug.
  5. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

See the thing is, Christmas used to be my favorite time of year. I remember when we were first married, before kids, I used to play Santa for my wife. lol

Maybe it's because I have no money. Maybe it's because of my depression but I aint feeling it. Which is really bad for a praise band drummer.
  6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

For me its very depressing. It was not always that way. I would do everything possible to make it a happy time. filled with light and cooking delicious foods. wonderful songs etc. But now I do not have family love, love of others. I do not have community. I Can pretty much only eat bland boiled foods. And well, there is not money to buy anything. So I go into big depression :( so hard to be this depressed. The depression started as soon as I heard the first christmas song on TV a week, or so before Thanksgiving. Now its a matter of getting from day to day, crying often. Heart feeling broken with saddness. And oh yes, wanting to leave. I guess the joy and spending and love joxtaposed with the aloneness and lack of funds is a bit too much.
  7. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I can relate in some respects. The holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) used to be my favorite time of the year, as well. In past years, it was probably the only thing I had to look forward to. The only thing that kept me going. Not so much any more. It doesn't help that the past few years have been horrible. I do think, though, that for me it has a lot to do with money. I started shopping back in October and I still just am not feeling it. I think it's so widely commercialized that the idea that we have to do great for it is just ingrained in our heads early on. It's a bad time of the year for my mom (who also suffers depression) for that same reason. It's, overall, a very depressing time of the year and for someone like me - who buys, buys, buys (especially for my pets) when I'm depressed - it's just a money sink. Which leads to a very viscous cycle.
  8. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I too have a hard time around Christmas. I don't feel very close to my family, and so every year I find myself wishing that I was with someone else I feel connected to. Christmas also means the New Year is close by, and lately it feels like the years of my life are just passing me by - nothing's really progressing.

I do look forward to spending Christmas and other holidays with the family I hope to create for myself one day. 'Til then, I just try to make the best of it.

Take good care.
  9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

:lol!: My cat (before she died of stomach cancer) use to climb the xmas tree. Then when it came crashing down, she was nowhere to be found. Sometimes we would find her hiding under the bathroom sink.

It was hilarious!
  10. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Holiday amplifier on all existing problems, especially as relating to family/friends/relationships. Media perpetuated ideal of correct emotion for the season, correct celebration ritual, correct family interaction, and correct social interaction. ie, happy about season, happy with family, happy shopping and cooking and eating with family and friends and good will and positive outlook for all. If your situation runs contrary to that, as I expect almost all people's situations do to varying degrees, makes one feel forced into trying to fill those contrary gaps, stresses everyone out, makes everybody feel worse. It's like a birthday, but everyone's birthday all celebrated simultaneously on a single day. Very hard. Hardest of all for folk of the persuasion to seek out and sign up to a support forum like this.
  11. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

I used to love Christmas and New Years, but not anymore. This year I'm going to curl up in my room surfing the internet just like any non special days. I have no one to celebrate with.
  12. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan Well-Known Member

I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember (going back to 8 years old). Yet the ONE time of year I could usually actually feel happiness has always been the Christmas season. No matter how bad the year had been, this time of year, the decorations and songs, they made me feel good and happy. But not this year. I was in a Christmas section of a strore on Sunday, and felt nothing. Still empty. I take it as a sign, actually.
  13. I'm_trying

I'm_trying Well-Known Member

Yeah...this years christmas is gonna suck. Because I know next year is going to be even harder then this year. This christmas should prove to be especially awkward with the "thankful turkey dinner" because of my recent attempt I can't just lie and say I'm thankful I'm alive when I'm not.
  14. Aliyah

Aliyah Member

I know what you mean. Its hard to get in the spirit when it seems like every bad thing happens around this time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.