The hopeless pit of suicide.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by TheGlamorous, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGlamorous

TheGlamorous Active Member

There's no denying it. Suicide is a terrible, tragic, horrifying and confusing phenomenon.

There is no denying that when one kills themselves, family and friends will be forever affected. That is the natural reaction of love and caring.

There is no denying that had some people not chosen to take their own life-- that it would have quickly or eventually gotten better. Opportunities and happiness have been destroyed by people who think they can no longer go on when they can.

But there is a huge denial over the fact that, some people just have it so horribly bad, that suicide unfortunately is the only option for them.

Thinking about it, those who are serious about suicide enough to attempt once or more must have something really upsetting happening in their lives. Of all of these people, and although it is hard to admit it-- there are some who have minimal hope.

So much attention is directed towards victims relatives and acquaintances because ninety nine percent of the time those who were known to the deceased, through to the priest who looks over the funeral, to the newscaster or writer-- have not had huge amounts of painful experiences.

And so it seems natural that such attention should be directed towards victims-- again there are those who take their own lives for spur of the moment surprises such as failed grades or broken relationships-- generally these things are only temporary and are problems that can be "fixed". This is where the disdain for suicide makes complete and perfect sense.

But for those who have minimal hope, who are plagued every single day by an existence for whatever reason depresses them to the point where every single smile is fake, every last interaction is awkward and false, where waking up gets harder every single day for years on end-- there should at least be some form of sympathy.

Of course this is not possible because the only person who knows how much pain and anguish somebody has gone through is the person them self. As humans we tend to look at things in black and white as much as we think we don't or have grown out of such ways of thinking, we still do. And suicide is no different.

For that boy, girl, man, or woman who is so helpless and chronically unhappy, is where my sympathy lies. Those human beings who have been through so much as to give up the will to live while also facing the risk of botched suicide (this includes pain, brain damage, paralysis among many other things) should be quietly acknowledged and respected.

That person who has spent years not only feeling unhappy, alienated, worthless and/or obsolete has also spent much time feeling retrospectively guilty for what they are planning to commit. The social stigma towards suicide, a mostly fair-enough reality it may be- just adds that extra shame and hardness to the final days. They are reminded of the many ways their suicide could go wrong and ruin things possibly even more. They deal with all of this while at the same time somehow eradicating the natural human impulse to survive.

Those who have been suicidal and turned their lives around will of course be emotionally compelled to voice their opinion that life is "worth living" and "positive change" can be made for everybody because they themselves were, somehow able to get out such a dangerous and hopeless rut. That is just human nature. Inspiring life events create inspiring stories.

To that end, I would like to point out that there are options. But not for everybody, all of the time. As much as so many people would like to assume that one: life is a Hollywood narrative that can be turned around one hundred percent of the time and two: if that hundred percent is possible that every person has the opportunities and incentives to make such changes.

On the other hand it is also ignorant and selfish to ignore how devastated loved ones can feel. Despite the points I have raised which suggest I believe people have their own choice to live, it just seems that there will never be a line when it comes to suicide. The fact that it can be just as hard if not, harder on those contemplating the act though is what is truly-- the most sad thing.

2. npain42long

npain42long Active Member

you know i have often begged my loved ones (silently of course) to release me and allow me to commit suicide. at times i wish they would just tell me it is okay we understand the pain is more than you can bear and we understand your need to die and we release you from any quilt associated with it. go ahead, let go and die peacefully. and yet not a one of them will do it. they just keep holding on so tight demanding that i fight the need to die and to live with them in their world. and i keep saying this is not my world. my world is full of demons who demand more out of me, who demand my last breath, they demand my pain, the make me wear the hair shirt of despair. makes me wonder why can't i do something for myself for a change. something that will take away the hurt and emotional angst that causes so much torture. and then i think they are so selfish. hah, that does not last long, i then begin to realize i am selfish because i am the one wanting to leave them not the other way around. so what is the answer????????

3. TheGlamorous

TheGlamorous Active Member

I don't really think there is an answer for anything. There is no such thing as an answer without a question. Questions were invented by the human conscious. We live in a world with more than six billion conscious people, all thinking they have- or looking for "answers" to their "questions".

Sorry if that sounds cryptic but it's true. All I can think of, with my flawed human brain- is that some of us are blessed with luck, prospects etc, and some of us aren't. It seems we are all "supposed" to stick out our problems-- and yeah-- i can see reasons why that is fair.

If everybody was like me and refused to leave the house in the morning, or do anything productive then the world would be in chaos...

...these arguments don't work when we realize that the majority of the population actually live happy, healthy lives -- relatively speaking.

So i'm not sure. All I can say is that shit happens, for no apparant reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.