The "ice" method

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Rosenrot, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

My psych told me there's a method where you soak your arm in really cold ice water as an alternative to cutting.

Apparently it gives you great pain but nothing really happens to your arm, I guess.

It's supposed to be a positive alternative to cutting.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me, please?
  2. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

I'd imagine for many SHers the visual effect of cutting (blood, the cut, and the resulting scar) is a big part of self harm and wouldn't get as much satisfaction from the ice method.
  3. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Ice doesn't really do anything for me..Like doesn't make me numb or anything, so..I don't know, you could try it?
  4. Ire

Ire Guest

Personally I really like to see/feel/lick the blood.
  5. ClockworkCrow

ClockworkCrow Active Member

Couldn't that lead to worse long-term problems? something tells me freezing my body parts is not a good thing.

I don't cut, but i don't see this as a positive alternative. Then again, i'm not the expert. So hey.
  6. martijn

martijn Active Member

Cutting is "bad" in the sense that it leaves scars, it bleeds, the risk of infection, etc., but for me the blood and the scars are the reasons for cutting.

I can see how ice-cold water hurts, I can also see how it may have the same effect as cutting for some people, but I don't think it will lead to long term problems. I strongly doubt you're gonna get hypothermia (is that what it's called?) or whatever if you soak your arm in ice-water now and then. You probably would if you'd sit in a bathtub filled with icecubes for a few hours, but that's somewhat extreme, I suppose.

It wouldn't be enough for me. I haven't tried it, but I want to see blood. But, as mentioned, you could try it. It's probably better.
  7. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

ice cooldown body needings, may be that`s the reason, try and tell us^^
  8. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

your pshyc thinks you're doing it for the pain.
  9. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I’ve heard about holding ice cubes. It doesn’t work for me only because it’s more of a sharp burning pain where as with cutting the pain doesn’t last as long I guess. I don’t really know how to explain it. Not all people self harm for the blood. Sure a lot of cutters do but what about the head bangers and burners and other methods. If you do it for pain then it might work. I have heard about it working.
  10. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

it doesnt do it for me, but give it a try, it worth that.
  11. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Yeah, that's probably the reason.

Of course, I don't do it for the pain.
  12. sarahmk2

sarahmk2 Well-Known Member

i've tried all the alternatives, marker pens, ice, rubber bands etc, nothing works, i need pain and blood
  13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Funny, eh? Everyone's reasons for cutting are individual.
    Personally, I cut because I want to punish myself and like the pain. I can't stand the sight of the blood. And I love my scars. Sigh.

I think the idea behind ice is that it will be an intense sensation that will distract you from cutting. It might be considered "less" harmful because you are not breaking the skin, but I know my nurse is more in favour of the "treat yourself kindly when you want to cut" approach (which believe me is NOT working)...

What has worked for me is writing down the answers to these questions: what am i thinking right now, what am i feeling right now, and if my scars could talk what would they say?

That, plus I think about how if I cut it's just a temporary high, and that I will hate myself even more the next day. And frankly, I don't need any more reasons to hate myself right now,

14. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Ice works for some people but not others. Give it a try, hopefully it'll help. As already said it provides the pain but is harmless compared to cutting yourself and is seen as a good alternative as it leaves no lasting damage compared to that from cutting (scars, nerve damage, blood poisoning etc). If you don't do it for the pain then perhaps tell your psych and try other methods, like the red marker or food dye. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.