The Impact that Capitalism Has in Terms of Depression and Suicide

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by iicookieii, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iicookieii

iicookieii Active Member

One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how suicide, depression, and other mental illnesses are viewed under a capitalist system.

People with disabilities- be them mental or physical, but especially physical are not valued in a capitalist system because one's value is determined by either your ability to work or your ability to spend money. People with physical disabilities are viewed as lazy (not being able to work) leeches (because they may require the help or assistance from someone else as well as receive monetary compensation), ect.

I've noticed that suicide prevention in the U.S. often emphasized the money lost (not being spent on consumer shit) when someone commits suicide, as well as the money that could have been spent during a person's lifetime had they not killed themselves. If you are someone who takes anti-depressants, for example, chances are you're going to take them for a long period of time. Combine that with therapy, any possible hospital/mental health facility visits, and doctor's appointments, there's no doubt that there is money to be made from sick people.

When someone commits suicide for example, there is no chance to make up for lost revenue. The cost of an ambulance to be dispatched, the cost of a possible hospitalization, or repair for whatever suicide method was deployed cannot be made up by the person who is now dead. There will be no future therapist visits, no more prescriptions, and no more involuntary commitments to mental health facilities. No money can spent on hobbies, water, electricity, gas, cable (if the person lived alone).

Basically, I feel like in America we are more upset about suicide because it is one less person to market to, as well as having a devastating effect on those people associated with that person- because, once again, of loss of potential revenue.

A mother, for example, may leave work for a month. Now someone has to do her work for her. She may stop watching television, which means she won't be exposed to adds from her favorite channel HGTV, which means she won't spend money at Pier One decorating her dead child's room. She may stop eating or eat less, which means she won't go to the grocery store as often, which means she won't be tempted to buy extra shit she doesn't need. She won't visit friends as often, which means less money spent on gas. Now that there's one less person in the house, the electricity bill is lower. Now that her daughter no longer is here, that's one phone bill that no longer needs to be paid.

I don't mean to pick such a specific scenario, but you get what I'm saying, right? Does anyone else feel this way?

2. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

If i feel it that way? I'm glad that someone is able to open mind like that. Good work. Now the rest 7 billion of people do that and the world will be a better place.
    You practically posted what i posted in this section. Your thoughts aren't just deep enough, but you are on the right way. The problem is much deeper though and my answer is here: http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?134919-System

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.