The importance of self

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ziggy, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Let's say for arguments sake that I was a person who didn't like myself. I could think one of two things:

1) I need to become a better person, be more outgoing, more attractive, more interesting etc. etc.

2) I'm part of something larger, ie. a film has bits that are more interesting and more exciting than other bits, it needs good bits and it needs crap bits, like life needs good people and crap people. Accept what you are, because what you are is needed.

So which is better (1) or (2)?

Maybe it's a good thing to realise that we're not important? The world will carry on fine without us. I mean even if all humans died out, the world would carry on just fine, and I think that's great. But don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying we should die... or that we should live, I'm saying that it simply doesn't matter either way. Should I care? I don't know.

Now many of you will say "But you are important to your friends, your family, other people" etc. I agree 100% Absolutely true, but only if friends, family and other people actually matter. And if they don't, then do we matter? I guess in a way, yes, because a single letter in a sentance is important. It's needed but if it's not there does it really mat er?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think we all are important, or unimportant, whichever way you want to look at it, it's still comforting. Basically, we're all in this together.

And everyone has an equal part. Whether nobody knew you, or the whole world knew you, it's all of equal importance. I don't think some people have good lives and some people are "crap" people. That's just a matter of perspective.
  3. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

I think both one and two are both formats for expression and both worthy. everybody competes for grounds to perform on both fronts just to experience life and take the weight off.

why must we apply importance to parts of who we are?

Can we not just relinquish control and let the ghosts of morale teachers fade. surely we are smart enough to exhale and place trust in our ability to make the right choices when those situations occur
  4. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Just a thought - take it or leave it. Gandhi once said, "one persons sorrow makes the whole world have that much more sorrow in it, one persons happiness makes the whole world that much happier." One thing I picked up from chaos theory is that small changes that we make now have large effects down the road - some one acting crappy or happy might change something for the better or worse of the overall world in which we live but it most certainly will have some effect no matter how minute.

So to answer your question Ziggy a combination of (1) & (2) is best - striving to do more, but not to become full of oneself.

Also, as for the eradication of human beings - the size of the universe tells us there is probably intelligent life elsewhere in the universe - they probably debate the usefulness of their own existence - and I'm sure if we are eradicated somewhere thousands of light-years away another intelligent species will pop up just to have the same debate. Now, if only we could export our greenhouse gases to mars, we'd be set.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

A combination of both.

This is another way of your own perception within the universe.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

If I learnt to paint, I'd constantly strive to improve myself. Over the years, I'd make progress but would never be able to show my work to anyone. So then I'd wonder "what's the point of it, what value have paintings that nobody sees?" And when eventually I displayed them I'd be told that they weren't any good, but hey, I knew that all along.

So why paint? Surely for the joy of painting, but when you no longer enjoy it then what's the purpose of it? Is there some worth? Maybe through you own efforts you appreciate the efforts of others more, understand just how difficult it all is? But then again, maybe I'm just trying to believe in something to escape the futility of it all? Who knows?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I've never been interested in number 1.

As for number 2,

- I always had that feeling
    but i always wanted to know what this film was made of, why people acted the way they did and who was the director...:dry:

- i didn't ever feel like that. i'd always wanted to know why. i've never been one to accept things easily.

I dunno about good or bad. But I know that my life means nothing to nobody to a lot of people. Being 'not important' to whom? Who are these people you are trying to please and are they even worth pleasing in the first place? You place your meaning of life on other people. I don't. I've just finally couldn't care less. I've learnt to be important to myself first. To find myself properly outside all the slight conflict I've had with others (i've felt like you before but had slight conflict with those feelings but they would get me down)

What would you be interested again, paint- getting style/technique 'right' or what you're seeing and feeling and about getting that down as well as possible?

This sounds like you're thinking of your painting as purely to be consumed by others, just like how you depend on others for confirmation for your existence ?

oh loads....just loads. it depends on what it is you're doing. aren't you seeing it? do you think you have better/worse eyesight than others?? or that others eyesight is better than yours?

Ever wonder about the people who are commenting and who they are, where they are coming from, what authority do they have?

Again, you're mixing painting with other people and their consumption of that and how they react effecting your self worth, your enjoyment of something.

I want to ask do you feel like you're unreal? Do you feel like you don't exist?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.