The "Instinct" to kill yourself

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by InnerStrength, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

I kind of have a theory that a long-standing urge to kill yourself is just a correct instinct. I've felt this way for an extremely long time. I'm never going to change, that might sound weak, but I've come to the realization that this is true.

I'm getting closer and closer to just saying "f*ck it." Today just sucked and reinforced this thinking

2. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

I don't think you want to kill yourself, you just want to kill a part of yourself. Unfortunatelly you can't do that. So you want to destroy the whole thing. I don't know about the theory to kill yourself, but the theory to kill is another story. Apes in the wild do kill for stupid reason, so it's in our nature also. War is an example of this.

3. livingonlight

livingonlight Active Member

<I kind of have a theory that a long-standing urge to kill yourself is just a correct instinct.>
    I totally agree with that.

4. InnerStrength

Well, atleast someone agreed with me.

5. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rule it out, yeah. It's said the most basic of all instincts is to survive but humans are pretty complicated. Although I think what you're referring to is more like the urge to give up on something that just isn't working, in this case life. If your life were to turn around you probably wouldn't want to kill yourself anymore so it's probably more of a reaction to circumstance rather than an instinct.

Edit: Hm, re-reading that it sounds like pretty muddled logic that doesn't make a lot of sense but it's one in the am and I'm too tired/lazy to re-think it. Don't mean to be a negative nancy, your theory could be on the mark.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  6. Beattles

Beattles Well-Known Member

i agree too. to some people suicide just isnt compatible, where as with others its a huge part of thier life.

7. InnerStrength

Yeah, I'm probably wrong, I really don't care though.

8. livingonlight

livingonlight Active Member

I agree because I see nothing wrong with dying and I know that we are eternal. Death is a relief after the constant negative emotion that some of us go through. There is no real death of Self, just leaving the body. That is a scary thought because we don't always know what comes after but the suicide instinct is just a knowing that whatever is after this is so much better.
    Light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.