The Internet and Insecurity

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by CAD, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed how common the insult "get a life" is on the internet? The prevailing stereotype of the avid computer-user is of an obese male, probably a virgin with no history of relationships, lives in his mother's basement etc. etc. But there also seems to be a developing culture of hypocrisy about the internet and the people who frequently use it. People say "Oh, it's not important it's only the internet"; if they disagree with someone it's "You need to switch off the computer and get outside more"; and if they take a dislike to a complete stranger it's "Well at least I have a girlfriend and can get it up on a regular basis!"

Are these are just silly, easily available come-backs or is it an indication of a fundamental insecurity shared by many people on the internet that they should be outside more, living a "real life". Are we partaking in a dangerous self-referential fantasy which is bringing people together but alienating them at the same time?

Or am I just hanging around too many adolescent forums? What do you guys think?

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Dont really know how to respond as I do not hear any of these things from people...

3. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

Personally I think that the relative anonymity of the internet makes some people feel like they have a right to act like jerks towards other people.

As the saying goes, 'anyone can be a tough guy on the internet'.

4. cofmadness

cofmadness Well-Known Member

I agree with your quote that many of us are partaking in a dangerous self-referential fantasy which is bringing people together but alienating them at the same time?"

I think a lot of people kind of escape on here instead of living. Makes a lot of sense.

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Don't take people like that so seriously. :)

Have you seen some of the comments on Youtube? They're laughable. Just bored teenagers.

Just smile and move on.

6. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

maybe hanging out in too many adolescent forums.I have run the gamut from childish to near profound in my dialogue with people online.Its life..only as others said..the anonymous nature of it allows for people to show true colors.I avoid chat rooms for this reason.Too hard to find a civil mature chat room.

7. KC1985

KC1985 Member

The idea that people posting on internet forums are losers is absurd.
    I know a number of very successful people who post a lot on online forums.
    I do not want to get into their life stories individually but trust me a lot of people who have overabundant sex lives and millions of dollars regularly spend time on the internet posting thousands of messages each on a particular internet forum of their choosing- some specific forums follow this stereotype and some do not.
    Different internet forums draw different people, but I think it is similair to video games. Video Games were once considered the extremely geeky home of nerds but now most famous actors and athletes own an xobox 360 or a playstation.
    As for the criticism " get a life" its completely laughable and shouldn't evoke any sort of repsonse from you at all, sort of like when someone poast on youtube or myspace "hay guess how muchm y cat weighs secret lose weight formula please send $19.99" - if it evokes any sort of response other than some extra scrolling you are simply wasting your time.

And of course there is the whole academic arguement of: "Isn't it ironic that YOU yourself are spending time on the internet telling people to get a life for posting on the internet?"

Yes it is ironic, but it is not something that you should need an arguement to defeat just like you shouldn't need a reason or a response not to send that random guy $19.99 for his mispelled message.

8. KC1985

KC1985 Member

It just occured to me that I may have missed a question you were asking ( the second paragraph) and the answer is: Yes, it is indicative of an insecurity in many posters minds.
    Don't be one of them.
    For some people the feelings of insecurity arises for an actual reason- they are using their own time that could actually be better spent elsewhere. However anyone attempting to judge someone's motivations and insecurities based on posting habits... they have started a pointless dialogue that never adds to the discussion and they are usually wrong anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.