The Internet is the cause of a lot of it...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by thepainwithin, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

I've been using the Internet since I was 7 in 1997. I heard somewhere that children who use the Internet before 12 are more prone to depression, anxiety, addictions and social phobias than their counterparts... looking at myself, I have no reason to doubt it.

But now I just use the Internet to play games. You have to have thick skin to deal with the trolling in video games, but that's never really a problem, the game usually ends then I move on and forget about everyone in it.

Now that I have a job where I sit on a computer 8 hours a day, I can't play games so I have to go to other websites like CNN or Yahoo Answers to pass the time. I just read "news" stories about a kid scraping his knee in New York and it causing a panic in California so parents won't let their kids outside without a leash and a tracking chip. It just makes me so mad how societies focus is on the negative. Everything bad that ever happens is on the news and all it does is put panic in people to the point where they say things like "the days of letting your child outside to play is over"... like are you kidding me? Why is this legal for news agencies to report on pseudo-news just to cause a panic to everyone? The odds of your child being abducted are so astronomically low, but it happens to 1 kid in bum f-ck no where and all the sudden every parent think it's going to happen to them.

This in turn leads to changes in laws. People are in such a panic that they want the government to do everything for them, so they give congress the authority to create laws out of everything instead of raising taxes just so they can turn more people into criminals. Like seriously, you can be arrested for spanking your child now. Disciplining your child is considered child abuse. Then I see police with nothing better to do shutting down 9 year old girls' lemonade stands because they didn't get the proper permits and have a health inspector give them a grade. And here I thought lemonade stands were as American as apple pie, but thanks to the panic the Internet causes, soon apple pie is going to be illegal because a 6 year old burns his tongue on it or something. It's pathetic and it just makes me lose all faith in humanity.

It's like the mom who let her 13 year old daughter baby sit for a 3 year old, the 3 year old wandered outside and the mom got arrested for child neglect... I mean, wasn't "The Baby Sitters Club" a book series about 13 year old babysitters? Like, isn't that a really common profession for neighborhood 13 year old girls to babysit for neighbors? But thanks to the panic and thanks to the police, even that's now a crime. In my neighborhood there was someone certified to run a class to train 13 year olds to be baby sitters........... my sisters both attended it.... but now it's a fucking crime.

Then theres facebook and twitter. Oh God, Facebook and Twitter are the downfall of humanity. All these companies drive us to it so they can capitalize on personal advertising. Phone commercials show someone updating a status that inspires and entire community to get together in a park at 5:30 to build a carnaval out of scrap metal and use the proceeds to cure cancer. Get real. The focus of social media is on the negative. How many people are thrown a parade for a status update? Yea, I can't think of 1... How many people are forced to publicly apologize, or get fired from a job, or lose their reputation because a status update or a tweet got taken out of context? God, I don't think you could get 100 people together and have enough fingers to count everyone that's gotten in trouble because of facebook... yet corporations are so out of touch with people that they think social media is used like that. It's amazing with how many times someones been screwed by social media that people continue to use social media.

God. The Internet just depresses me. It's a cess pool of useless opinions with people trying to be as harsh as possible. Idiots think a president can solve 314 million peoples problems so they just divide themselves into "dems" and "republicans" and no one gives the opposing side the time of day. I honestly heard a Republican try to say that since democrats support gays, and gays inevitably become child molestors, that democrats support child molestors...... would we talk to each other like this face to face????

It's sad and pathetic and I can't get away from it. The Internet sucks. I miss the day of AOL. Anyone remember that time? When it was considered safe to not even give your last name to strangers? Now people put everything on the Internet except their social security numbers and expect it to be private, and then act dumb founded when their identity gets stolen.

It really gets to me the way people talk to each other. It really depresses me and causes anxiety when people spew useless hate rhetoric simply because they don't like Obama. I'm on the Internet all day, and some of the things people say really stick with me.

I delete my facebook and people assume I don't want to be friends with them in real life. I invited my friend Dennis over to my lake with about 6 other of my friends and Dennis asks one of my friends if they're going up to Dennis' cabin with him. Dennis said he didn't invite me because I didn't have a facebook.... then when I was right in front of him in person he still didn't invite me...........

Sigh. If that commercial about "this is living" being on facebook if where we're headed, then I'd rather just put a bullet in my brain right now.

It's the iSociety where MY opinion is the only right opinion and if my kid fucks up in school it's the teachers fault, not my fault that I didn't make him do his homework or help him study. Where I am not responsible for anything that happens around me.... like this thing called TracPhone.... someone on the Internet proposed we force all kids under 18 to use TracPhone so the parents can monitor their kids cell phone use while driving... that way if the kid decides to text and drive and kill someone, you don't blame the kid, you sue the adult as they should've been TracPhoning them better. No one is responsible for anything. You're poor because of Obama, not because you didn't finish high school. You're out of a job because of Obama, not because you were a lazy POS and the first one in line to be laid off. Your child is the best, so it's unfair to give the winner a first place ribbon, you have to give everyone a participation ribbon so my child feels like a winner too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have to say, I was happier and more productive when I didn't have a computer. :hiding:
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Computers and the Internet have their purpose in our lives, though I don't like spending too much time on my computer or cell phone. There are lots of great websites out there with lots of good information and there are lots of bad websites on the internet. Just don't the Internet consume your life.
  4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Awesome thread, and I agree with 99% of your sentiments...

The only thing I would say in defense of the internet is that I probably wouldn't have anyone to talk to without it. Obviously I try to avoid websites that are nothing but flame wars (which unfortunately is about 99% of the internet these days), and I avoid "social media" like the plague, but I am thankful for sites like this. Because without it, I would never get the chance to talk about how I feel. I live an isolated, lonely life and I lived an isolated lonely life before the internet. I know I'm not the only one. Being able to come to a place like this where people are (for the most part) kind and understanding has been a lifesaver for me.

Overall, the internet probably does cause more harm than good... but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just avoid the negative crap... that's what I do. I finally had to stop reading online news stories - the stories themselves are usually pretty ridiculous, but people's comments on them are even more ridiculous. I've never seen so much vile hatred for one another spewed back and forth... if one were to judge humanity by the types of comments people post on the internet, they would have to conclude that our species was doomed for extinction in the very near future. Some people try to downplay the problem and say, "oh, they're just trolling"... I wish that was the case. No, the sad part is that this is how many people actually think, and they're only faking it when they're pleasant to people in real life. But see, I've always known this... I didn't need the internet to see how ugly people are on the inside, I got to see it firsthand every day growing up. The "popular" kids probably never realized what assholes they were because they always had friends, or at least people who pretended to be their friends. Social media didn't create petty self absorbed people, petty self absorbed people created social media. Like it or not, the internet isn't the downfall of humanity - it is merely a mirror that reflects the inner ugliness of humanity.
  5. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

"Some people try to downplay the problem and say, "oh, they're just trolling"... I wish that was the case." - LOL ya, if anyone disagrees with your opinion on the Internet they just say you're trolling. That guy was 100% serious when he inferred that democrats must support child molesters because they support gays.

"Like it or not, the internet isn't the downfall of humanity" - I gotta say I disagree with this though. The iGeneration is completely different than any other generation that has ever existed before, we're so different from even our parents 30-40 years ago. People think it's ok to post videos of a group of people kicking someone's ass just because it could get them a million hits; they think it's ok to commit crimes and post them on YouTube or facebook for popularity. They have us hooked into social media for personal advertising, the Internet has become so commercialized it's unreal, and now that everyone and their mother uses it, the government, who has no idea how the Internet works, is going to try to pass stupid laws to try to regulate the Internet. Like in Louisiana they require sex offenders to list their sex offender status on their social media pages - apparently the government forgot you can be anyone you want on the Internet, it doesn't take a genius to tunnel and have their IP come from India. People already don't know how to talk to each other, so they invent a phone people can carry on a conversation with. Who needs friends when Siri can keep you company?
  6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I'm 31 now, so I'm part of generation-X, whereas the i-generation or generation-y would be people in their teens and 20's. I agree with what you're saying that the internet (Facebook and Youtube in particular) makes it easy for teenagers to post obscene videos just so that they can get hits and make money, but is it the Internet's fault or the moronic teenager's fault? There have always been morons throughout history and there will always be morons in the future. Don't blame the Internet because some dumb punks beat someone up and post the video on Facebook. Blame the punks and punish them severely.

Think about this analogy. If someone drives drunk and runs over a kid, do you blame the drunk driver or do you blame the automobile? Facebook is the new automobile. Everybody uses it, but some use it inappropriately.
  7. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I have to slightly disagree that generation y is teens and 20s, for the reason I am 27, rarely use facebook or Twitter, and have seemed to, for the purpose of life, grown up a lot in the last 5 years. Yes, I've made online friends over time, it happens, but I've also met some great people along the way. There's bound to be ups and downs, its how we react.
  8. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I'm not exactly sure of the age divide between generation-x and generation-y. Maybe it's 25?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.