The Invisible Woman

Discussion in 'Poet's Corner' started by Sadeyes, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I have been put into this wheel chair
    and I have disappeared;
    Instead of being asked,
    I am now told.
    Instead of being considered,
    I am now handled.
    Each step I take
    walks me closer to
    the land of the abled.
    The only place
    where people count.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am sorry hun they have made you disappear You are not invisible here you are a force a very strong force here Don't let them take your power away ok hugs
  3. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Powerfully sad. :hug:
  4. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Thanks so is a daily fight to be present and visible...and sometimes I win...and sometimes I am very tired...I think this condition is analogous for all disabling conditions...there seems to be a distance which is almost measurable between how present one is perceived to how disabled one is, even if the disability has nothing to do with one's ability to function...I guess wheel chair-ness might be contagious and people are afraid they will catch it
  6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

take a tip from my college RA - add racing stripes and/or flames - make them wonder - that's what he did
  7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Explodable Flares...better idea but then again, in New York City, I wonder if ppl would even notice them...yesterday, someone, who was not satisfied with the rate I was wheeling, pushed me out of the door way..a friend was there and took her position...I had just rolled over my foot, was in severe pain and the person rolled over the same foot again...just tired
  8. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry to see your post... :hug: I know it hurts and words are so inadequate - those stupid sods need to get a life... Remember Your heart is bigger, kinder, gentler and more beautiful than theirs will ever be... I so know the feeling and if I was nearer I'd hang plant pots with cacti's on our chairs and we could go shopping or "bowling" :wink: sometimes I feel like reversing without looking... You are awesome!!! You have done more & helped more people than they ever could... Huge hug and so much caring :hug:
  9. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Thanks Ditz, my Roller Derby sister...I usually can ignore all of them, but sometimes, when I miss my former life so much, I find these events so triggering...on wards and forwards, and over their toes next time!
  10. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

also start carrying a stadium-style airhorn
  11. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

loool! I can just imagine that! It would be awesome!
  12. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I am sorry that to those who are ignorant, and those who are not fortunate enough to know you in even some small way, you disappear so easily. I am also sorry for your pain. I will say this though; to any who know you in any way, you could never be invisible. Those people who do not see you have my sympathy as they will never have the benefit of your wisdom, compassion and humour. It is very much their loss. :hug:
  13. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Thanks Freya so much but it seems this world was built for those who are bipedal...sometimes, I feel like I just dont fit luck, I will be pushed into traffic and for the first time in history, a taxi cab driver will finally stop.
  14. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Invisible Woman: II

Years ago
    before the fall
    I used to think
    I had it all.

I believed my lies
    without concern
    and affirmed the pride
    I might not have earned.

It is different now,
    I am sad to say;
    wondering who I am
    fearing much decay.

No longer content,
    labored by my grief.
    Yearning for my old life,
    knowing it has ceased.

How again to be me
    now in a compromised state?
    To live a life,
    devoid of what I know
    one I usually hate.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  15. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

You are still you, despite physical changes. Your soul is yours, your personality is yours, your heart is yours. These may become different over time, but I think we all do some adjustments during our lives. But the disease doesnt change your essence nor your traits. :hug:
  16. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

It is said, we are what we do, and lately, I feel so limited...i think we often look at what we do not have...that is human nature...but it is very difficult to forget how badly I want some things again...thanks for the lovin' Mo...I do appreciate it very much
  17. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Yes... We are what we do. And what re you doing? Getting on with getting on. Not succumbing but rather fighting as hard as you can. That's YOU. Agree?!

And no, I can try to imagine and put myself in your shoes, but obviously I can't. Saying I understand isn't true because I could never truly unless I had experienced similar. But, what I can say is that ofc you mourn for the life you had and the things you can no longer do with ease. If you didn't mourn those then you wouldn't be fighting so hard currently.
  18. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think for many reasons, we have wanted to go back in time...for me, I did not know nor fully appreciate what I had...again, that is human nature...most of us do not get up and say, thank G-d I can walk or such...we just live our lives...I do regret that today
  19. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Awwwww honey :hug: You are far from invisible to me. I remember when I was sick with meningitis in hospital and my dad took me outside for the first time in over a week and I was in a wheelchair, people were so ignorant, barged past me and someone knocked my neck which of course had been stiff and sore from the meningitis so my dad nearly went and decked them and had a right slanging match with them (I was still a bit delirious so I found this extra hilarious). And when it was time to go back to the ward, people pushed in front of us and would not wait for us to get in the lift. My dad was furious and I was saddened. Not because I couldn't get in the lift, but because I realised how ignorant, rude and inconsiderate the human race is and I felt sorrow for what people who are permanently in a wheelchair must feel like. I've also seen some shocking things on buses, where people would not get out of the space where wheelchair uses can sit so the poor man had to wait for the next bus. It just makes me so sad.

But you know what J, those are the people we should be feeling sorry for because of what they lack in their personalities. You are a beautiful person, with so much lve and caring in your heart. I know you miss what you used to be able to do, and grieve for that, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Remember what you used to have with happiness, not of sadness. When one door closes, another one opens, replace those things with new things, consider things that you may not have considered before and you will be able to fill that void with something new. You are a fighter, and a very strong and brave woman. You are admired, loved and very much noticed by most people on SF, don't forget that :hug:
  20. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Thanks Lexi...tonight I am starting a new mission (for a change), to see how i can find something that truly satisfies me...I want a mission, not a job and since I do not know how long I will be here, it is more critical than ever for me to do something meaningful (for me) of the main problems is that, although there were difficulties, I liked my old life...I would not do it differently for the most part, and felt content and successful...the stark contrast is so saddening...maybe before I die, I will adjust to this one...I can only hope
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.