The Iraq War

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by ~Tosh~, Jan 29, 2010.

?

Do You Think This War Has A Purpose?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Dont Know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

So.. according to the news, Tony Blair took the United Kingdom to War illegally...

All those UK and US Soldiers who have lost their lives fighting died for no reason...

what are all your opinions on this???

Were the Leaders right to send our Loved ones, friends, relatives etc to war?

:unsure:

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I don't think there is a purpose to be there anymore honestly.

3. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

I never liked the idea of our government having the people fight their own wars. At the time, America as a people were for it, and after we killed Saddam and half-assed it in Afghanistan, we should've been out of there. And it came to me as a shock that Obama decided to extend the Armed forces in Afghanistan, but send the Marines back home. Why can't we just withdraw all armed forces from all nations back to their respective countries and let Iraq and Afghanistan settle it out in their own way. Which is pretty much killing each other off in the name of Allah.

4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Saddam is gone, that's the only good thing. The Iraqi war has ruined the life of millions, so I cannot see any purpose at all. I was against the war before it even had actually started

5. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Yes, this war has a purpose, several purposes

With the main two being:

1. Oil

2. Keeping the US dollar as the reserve currency for which Iraqi oil is bought and sold, thus keeping the demand for dollars, and thus propping the value of the dollar (Saddam was switching to the euro in 2000, Iran is also switching, coincidence?

But aside from that, the war is immoral and illegal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  6. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

Oil.....

then why the heck are more oil rigs being put in the North Sea if thats one of the lamest reasons for a war????

7. Bob26003

what? I dont understand, can you rephrase that

8. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

In the North Sea, there are many Oil Rigs. Why are they putting more in for more oil if thats all theyre fighting for in Iraq?? i dont understand.... its pointless

9. Bob26003

well, for more oil. thats why. Oil is a very profitable business. For instance, Exxon made forty bilion in profits in one business quarter a couple years back. Thats more than the annual budget of many nations. Thats the biggest corporate profit of any company in the history of mankind.

Also, there are many benefits to having a puppet government in place. Especially in the middle east.

See Lexi, until we start using alternative energy, we are dependent on oil. For our cars, our factories etc..........

and that is why the big oil companies put out all this propaganda that global warming is a myth.

Because they want us to continue to be dependent on oil, because that is how they make their massive amounts of money.

10. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

Points 1 and 2 make the war immoral and illegal.

11. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

Our soldiers of the United States are not fighting for oil rights. They are fighting to keep the world free. Its this country that asserts itself to the world for democracy!
    If this was not true, we would no longer be in the "united nations"?
    think about it....even Russia has backed down during the "cold" war.
    Today is a war about keeping people free as it has during the great war and world war 2.
    Its just a matter of giving out most of our tax dollars to other countries so they can prosper?
    I fought Viet Nam. I understand how democracy works.
    I would still fight for it today.
    But as far as the oil rigs theory goes? BULL!
    The US has enough oil reserves to last a life time. This is how we can purchase our gasoline, heating fuel for our homes much cheaper than other countries.
    Most of us complain about prices but know that what we pay depend on American lives! Not only $$$ wise but think about the families that have lost loved ones! They can't be bought nor replaced!
    This war in Iraq? Needs to be done before the rest of the world gets caught up in it.

12. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

The war had no genuine or honest purpose. The reasoning behind it was entirely fabricated and/or incompetently thrown together. We've lost so many lives on both sides, and ruined millions more, for nothing. Now, seemingly for the sake of redeeming these mistakes, we're shifting attention to democratization and stabilization. Whether that will work for either country remains to be seen (it's still pretty spurious in Afghanistan). If success comes, it'll come at a horrific and long-lasting cost.

13. Bob26003

I dont think it will work in afghanistan.

For a coupla reasons

you cant enforce what we call democracy at the barrel, well you can.

But the afghans do not trust us. We are an occupying foreign infidel force.

also, the more ppl we kill, the more "insurgents" and terrorists we create. What are we gonna do? Kill every Muslim?

Its like this, if the Chinese were occupying our nation and telling us they were doing it for democracy, would you trust them? Would you fight back?

The longer we stay, the less credibility we will have with the afghans. We have been there for what eight years now? To them we look occupying invaders.

Thats why they have recently announced that the afghan gov. will be negotiating with the taliban and offering them immunity if they agree to lay down arms.

That is why we had to pay off the insurgency in Iraq. I think we were paying 300 a month if I recall.

Its funny, I was watching TV the other day and came across Rambo 3. If you recall that movie has Rambo fighting with the heroic afghans against the evil soviet invader.

Oh how times have changed.

No they managed to oust the Taliban with like 1000 special forces troops and pretty much catch bin laden . Why do we need to occupy the entire country?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  14. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Of course there's a purpose. Whether we agree or disagree with that purpose is what this thread is supposed to be about, I reckon. But since the poll asks "does it has a purpose" I choose 'yes'.

15. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

The purpose is OIL. The US oil production has been declining since 1970, though demand has been increasing all the time. Right now, the US imports two-thirds of the oil it uses: [​IMG]
    So, instead of owning up to the problem - oil shortage - and engaging in the reconstruction of the US into a less oil-dependent society, the brave oilmen from Texas decided to open up a police station in Iraq. What the American public thinks of all this doesn't really matter, just as it has never has mattered. Just watch TV... It'll be ok...

16. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Acutally the only reason we got into War World 2 was beause of the attack on Pearl Harbor, no one til Pearl harbor wanted to enter the war. So to say that it was to keep people free is a total misrepresentation of the United States entrance into the war.

Also to keep the world free is subjective. Go to Iraq, the consenus there is that Saddam was a terrible Dictator but at least when he was around the country wasn't falling apart. Most citizens of Iraq don't want the US troops there anymore. So free from what? I guess free from horrible dictatorships, but free from the horrors wars bring? Of course not.

Also what you said of American's Oil reserves reeks of misinformation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves Iraq is 4th in the list of proven Oil reserves. And the reserves has an estimated life of 150 years, where as america is no where near that.

17. LDA

LDA Well-Known Member

No, I don't.

18. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Only got guesses to be honest. But it's rallied the country of america and others in postive and negative ways. It's some sort of momentum for america, some massive distraction that's 24/7. I mean ever now im thinking about it, but really why am I? Meh world politics.. who knows. To spread influence into the middle eastern countries? To strengthen backhanded unities with middle easter countries? To increase and secure certain investments in america and in the middle east. To bullshit a countries direction into war instead of something productive. Erhm.. to dominate some evil people because... what was it? Weapons of mass destruction or something like that.

Isn't there some international law that states if a country invades another country for certain reasons, and those reasons turn out to be false, that the invading country is held responsible in some way?

19. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

as he is (and the labour party) effectively a war criminal resulting in the death of over 400,000 innocent children i have refused to pay my taxes, as to do so would be aiding and abbeting a war criminal which as the laws states is punishable by life imprisonment.....
    it falls under the UDHR, ECHR and the HRA '98 that to do so would be a legal rebellion and my rights are fully intact throughout.
    Fuck 'em the murdering bastards

20. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that there were any -true- 'alternative' sources of energy. Certainly not amongst the more green varieties anyway. Things like sun and wind require more energy in the production of the component parts needed to harness and utilise the raw source than they provide!! lol. Who hasnt been past a wind farm and seen all the windmills completely motionless? Some source of 'energy' !!

I read somewhere that, at its most economical, oil provides 30 barrels for every 1 barrel of oil used as the energy required in the process of extraction. When you consider the -negative- net energy value of sources such as wind you can easily conceptualise the problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.