The ironies of suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

agwoodliffe

In conjunction with my last post, thought I'd include my own observations after 2 experiences.

1) Some people think they don't deserve to live. Funny thing is, just thinking that proves the opposite.
2) Slightly more contestable, but I firmly believe that a lot of people are completely wrong when they say there are things worse than death. Because what could possibly be worse than ceasing to exist?

K8E

I disagree with your statement that there is nothing worse than ceasing to exist. Intense suffering which cannot be relieved is, logically, worse than non-existence. Non-existence means the absence of suffering. if you don't exist then you cannot suffer.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I disagree with your statement that there is nothing worse than ceasing to exist. Intense suffering which cannot be relieved is, logically, worse than non-existence. Non-existence means the absence of suffering. if you don't exist then you cannot suffer.
Agreed

If anyone had ever experienced immortality, they would know for a fact that death is a desirable part of life. I can't understand how people can be so blinkered by their religious or philosophical beliefs to not see that eternal moral life would be hellish...for anyone

B

bluedoors

I want to die. My life is a mess. I hate myself a lot and I lost my passion in doing things. I find it very difficult to connect with people. And yet I have a strong sense of survival. When I think about suicide I initially feel relieved inside - it is as if the thought itself produces 'feel-good hormones'. Suddenly I picture myself not existing anymore and I freak out. I am an atheist so to me life ends with death. I think a lot about point (2) above. I feel that life is an accident. Reality exists in our heads. If we stop existing, hence stop thinking, then all this will cease to exist to us. But there is something inside me that wishes to believe otherwise...
I suffer from BPD symptoms so you may appreciate that I think in black-white even about life itself.

"Some people think they don't deserve to live. Funny thing is, just thinking that proves the opposite."

That's a very interesting idea. Not sure I believe it though. Can you explain further?

"I disagree with your statement that there is nothing worse than ceasing to exist. Intense suffering which cannot be relieved is, logically, worse than non-existence. Non-existence means the absence of suffering. if you don't exist then you cannot suffer."

Absolutely 100% agree with that, by the way. Nicely worded, too.

I also disagree with the ultra-negative view of death expressed in (2). I want to add that I think it would be dangerous to push people toward such a negative view.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I also disagree with number 2, that there is nothing worse than death. Just the thought of eternal life, as lived in this physical body, in this world gives me nightmares. I don't know why anyone would want it. Death is a necessary part of existence. This world would be a mess if there were no death. And tell the person lying in pain, dying of cancer that death is not a positive. I believe this is true whether an atheist or not. But at the same time death should not be rushed. It will come. In its own time.

There are lots of reasons that can persuade you to kill yourself. But I hope it's not loneliness. I believe that feeling lonely and that no one is your friend and supporter is worse than even most of mental disorders. I suffered from it since i was 12 and last year I couldn't hold on and finally tried to kill myself when I was 16 but idk some miracle happened and i survived to see how deep my parents were broken , and now that 8 monthes has passed from that stupid decision i made, i m feeling suicidal again. I don't know what to do, i m visiting a shrink but it doesn't work out for me anyone has the same problems? , ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00