The Jump Between Suicide And Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Justlove, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justlove

Justlove New Member

The Jump Between Suicide and Homosexuality
    While conventional wisdom suggests that living is a precious thing to some, to others, taking their own life is a way of freeing themselves from constant pain and misery.
    My sophomore year in high school I experienced family problems which made it necessary for me to live with my best friend from high school. While that was happening, I was too selfishly focused on the problems in my own life to see the problems he faced as well. Sadly it took a very serious cry for help for me to notice. It wasn’t until he tried committing suicide and was found on the bathroom floor, that I realized he needed me just as much as I needed him. Something that horrible would change anyone’s life and it changed me in the best way possible. The topic of suicide is rarely ever brought up in schools even though written in kid’s health, 1 in 8 teenagers suffer from depression and 1 in 33 children suffer from depression, which can lead to suicide. (D'Arcy Lyness, PhD) Each year, over a million people die because of suicide and it is the one of the leading cause of death dealing with teenagers and adults under thirty-five. * Surprisingly, young individuals of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning community are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than individuals that identify themselves as heterosexual. In 2004, it was estimated every 9 seconds there was a suicide attempt, and every 14 minutes one attempt was fatal. The*World Health Organization has*estimated that it is the thirteenth leading cause of death worldwide. This number surprises me because you constantly hear of violent crimes including but not limited to homicide, but very rarely do you hear on the news or elsewhere about the sad cases of suicide. Personally, I feel the lack of attention given to these cases has a lot to do with the religious controversy surrounding suicide. Many religious groups, and individuals view suicide as an offense towards God. After all they feel he gave us life, who are we to take it away?
    In the article,” The Role of Gender and Sexual Relations for Young People in Identity Construction and Youth Suicide”, written by Gilchrist Heidi and Gerard Sullivan, *they seek a better understanding of what causes suicide. Ultimately, Heidi and Gearad concluded that more research is needed and that more social workers and prevention workers are needed to help fight this cause. They believe if they increase their numbers, they can decrease the amount of suicides.
    Schools are finally confronting and battling the issue of bullying against homosexuality. Asher Brown, Justin Aaberg and Tyler Clementi are just a few names of cases where homosexual bullying was a major issue. Asher Brown, a 13-year-old eighth grader at Hamilton Middle School outside Houston, shot himself in the head in September 2010, after being bullied in school for being gay. The parents of Asher state that they called the school numerous times but nothing was done about the bullying, until the young boy committed suicide. The schools efforts then were too little, too late. July 2010 Justin Aaberg, the Anoka High School student in Minnesota, hung himself after suffering from high school bullying as a result of breaking up with his boyfriend. Anoka high school had five suicides that year and three were linked to homosexuality. Tyler Clementi was an eighteen year-old student at Rutgers University in New Jersey, where his privacy was broken when his roommate secretly took video of him kissing another guy. This happened twice and after finding out that the roommate was posting the videos on Twitter, Tyler Clementi had a meltdown. It was reported fifteen hours after discovering the second incident of his roommate invading his privacy and posting the video on Twitter, Tyler jumped off the George Washington Bridge. It’s sad because this problem is obviously real, yet religious activists call it an opportunistic way to manipulate young people’s view on the topic of homosexuality. Schools are now trying to search for warning signs before events like these happen, but it’s difficult to prevent unless you know a student is homosexual.
    As stated, before there are usually many warning signs for suicide that people fail to see. Some of the many warnings signs include the refusal to accept praise or rewards, they usually will start to lose interest in enjoyable activities, feel withdrawn, and remain detached from friends and family. A potential suicide victim will start to get the sense that they are a bad person and that the world is better without them. They will start to make remarks or hint that they feel this way. Their emotional pattern will change and the person will act out of character. The acts will tend to be more violent and they might even start using drugs.
    Suicidal tendencies are actually very common. They can have different causes like insomnia, depression, a brain injury, and cocaine abuse. Individuals at risk of suicide often suffer from other diseases such as Huntington’s disease or Alzheimer’s disease. Even medicine, like Zoloft, has been linked to the cause of suicide. Sometimes people convince themselves into believing they are on their own and no one cares, when really they have a lot of people standing up for them who would be there when they need it most. Some are just too blind and refuse to see the good that surrounds them. This is a major cause to why individuals will look for more attention by acting out or even blackmailing someone by announcing to commit suicide if the person will not do what they ask. It’s sad if suicidal people do not get help during the earlier signs of suicidal stages, because there really isn’t much to do once they make up their mind to commit suicide. It doesn’t matter even if they are placed in a guarded clinic; suicidal people tend to find a way to commit suicide like drowning themselves in a sink or forcing someone to assist them with their own plans for death in an act called “suicide by a cop” the act where you threaten a police officer’s life so he takes yours.

Scientists are starting to think that suicidal tendencies and depression might be linked to a chemical imbalance in the brain. As a result, the brain chemistry must get restored in order for someone to get better. If you have suicidal tendencies and you are feeling depressed, you can’t get better if you don’t take the steps. The bad or terrible thoughts people have don’t just go away on their own. There are several approaches to treating someone with suicidal tendencies or depression. A doctor can prescribe you antidepressants and psychotherapy as a way to cure depression. People also use supplements, minerals, and amino acids as a way to cure themselves. People may go through therapy as an option to help with suicide prevention, and there is family and individual therapy. Some go as far as being hospitalized temporarily. It’s also important to note that they are help centers, forums, and help lines for people who have depression or suicidal issues.
    Suicide is a real thing and is happening every day. I feel like if people were more aware of the frequent occurrences and the worrisome statistics of this tragic issue, more proactive actions would be done to combat the problem. Families that have been touched by suicide can’t fight this battle on their own. They need everyone’s help to prevent suicide because it could happen to anyone’s family.
    .Most people do not think of the after effects when committing suicide; they don’t think about the people they hurt. Suicide can affect a society as a whole and will affect family members, friends, and their families. Often family member or friends must deal with the burden of finding the body of the person who committed suicide. This occasion can leave that person asking why me or how could this happen. That could lead to them doing drugs or even committing suicide. They could suffer from loss of sleep from having nightmares or stress.
    People generally don’t just commit suicide for no reason, they usually have some type of back story that people may not know about. People can commit suicide because of relationship status or a bad break up, mental illness, history of being sexually or physically abused, or family history of suicide.
    Suicide isn’t known as something to be praised for but in some cultures it is. In Japan, during the samurai era, *seppuku*was respected as a means of atonement for failure or as a form of protest. Sati*is a*Hindu*funeral*practice, now outlawed, in which the*widow*was expected to*commit suicide on her husband's funeral, either willingly or under pressure from the family and society. Medically*assisted suicide*euthanasia, is a controversial issue in modern religious beliefs. There is also self sacrifice, to end one’s life for another is not necessarily considered suicide but the goal is not to end one's own life because of personal feelings, but rather to save the life of another.*There is another way of suicide that is very controversial because some take it as a way to help their countries as a military tactic and some take the act as a religious practice or terrorist tactic. This type of suicide was used in World War II by Japanese military aviators to take out ships and planes. The most notable attack was the one that happen on September 11, on the trade center. These pilots did it supposedly for religious beliefs; they believed after the attack they would enter a heavenly paradise.
    It’s not just random people that commit suicide every day, even famous actors , singers, artist, and others have committed suicide. Roy Raymond is most known for starting a small lingerie business after being too embarrassed to buy his wife lingerie. He eventually sold the business for four million to limited brand owned by Leslie Wexner. On August 26, 1993, Raymond committed suicide by leaping off the Golden gate bridge in California. Adolf Hitler and his wife Eva committed suicide during the world war ll on April 30th, 1945, just days before Germany surrendered. And even the famous beauty Queen of Egypt, Cleopatra, committed suicide after learning that her forces fighting Octavian were defeated.
    Whether the individuals struggle with homosexuality, bullying, or just the feeling of loneliness in itself, the alarming rate of suicides in our nation is only increasing. All too often our differences cause pain and heartache when they should be celebrated. If we can start with our youth and pass off the message that its okay to be different, and even when things are at their worst they are never truly alone; maybe we can then begin to save those individuals from the dark depths of depression and suicidal behavior.

HYPERLINK "http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/suicidal_tendencies/common.htm" http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/suicidal_tendencies/common.htm
    HYPERLINK "http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/stop-the-bullying-in-schools/" http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/stop-the-bullying-in-schools/
    HYPERLINK "http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/" http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/

2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the part where you say"Most people do not think of the after effects when committing suicide; they don’t think about the people they hurt. Suicide can affect a society as a whole and will affect family members, friends, and their families"
    I think suicidal people are only too aware of this,that's the reason a lot of people are still here who would otherwise be long gone. There may be many reasons you can give a suicidal person to live but I'm never too pleased the old guilt trip wheeled out as reason,that's not fair to the person who is in enough pain already.

3. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

@ Mark101, i agree, it's bad enough that we suffer from suicidal tendancies but now we've got to feel guilty about it

I'm know your intentions are good but you're telling us that we should be more aware of people who suffer suicidal tendancies, i don't think i could be more aware considering i suffer from them myself, as do most people on here.

4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Well, I there's a great deal of a difference in combating your suicidal thoughts, then being actually in the moment with them. If that makes any sense. One of the major anchors, atleast for me, has been the after effects of ending this. I've constantly stopped thinking about things I should because of how It "might" affect other people. And I really think most people do. But sometimes, that's not enough. Cause it's about who you are and how youre feeling. Your wishes vs the effects on other people becomes very thin when the pressure and reality of your life close in, in some moments.

Interesting read atleast I guess. :smile: Sorry to hear about your friend and your situations. Hope things are going better now.

5. Justlove

Justlove New Member

Thats a great point, I never thought of it like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.