The landlord from hell.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

A little over a month ago, the landlord came barging over and seemed pissed. He cornered my grandfather and said if he didn't start paying him $35 for his son to come over and mow our lawn, then everyone would be kicked out. He said there would be no more free lawn mowing--which we never asked any of them to do in the first place. We have a lawn mower but we were waiting to get a gas can. The next few days it rained, so obviously we couldn't mow the lawn. I guess this didn't matter to him, because he had a police officer come over with papers on May 9th saying everyone had to get out by the first. I'm pretty sure that there needs to be at least a month notice, and that's only 3 weeks. I guess neither the landlord or the cop cared about this. It said on the paper that we had to find a lawyer that same day, so that would have been really hard, aside from the fact that we can't really afford one.

We decided to start looking for a new place, and things were going alright. The landlord came banging on the door one day, and said he would have a guy come in and look at the house. He said he had already promised it to someone, but no one ever came to see the place. He recently admitted he wants his son to move in here, and that's why he wants us out. He was really rude and unreasonable, but we didn't react to him.

The moving date was getting closer and we still couldn't find anywhere to go. It seemed like every apartment or house we looked at was too expensive, already taken, too far out of the way, etc. So my grandpa called the landlord and begged him to stay until July 1st. He consented to this and he thought he was doing us some big favor. My mom was in the background and she told him not to bother, that we would just keep looking for a place. The landlord called her a son of a bitch, said she never worked a day in her life (which isn't true at all), asked if we were on welfare (which we're not, but I don't see how that's any of his business), and so it was some more uncalled for crap.

They seem to follow us everywhere--when we go somewhere, they are right there. They stare at our house for hours, come in the yard unexpectedly, look in the windows, have neighbors come over and tell them crap while they point and laugh over here....their grandkids came over on a 4 wheeler and broke something off the house and just left it there. This isn't the first time someone from their household has damaged the property over here.

Oh, the reason he evicted us was for "filthy upkeep", which is so untrue. Sure, the house is old and in bad condition, but it is by no means filthy. I don't see how he would know the condition of the inside of the house, since he hasn't been in it for years. There's serious water damage to where rain is leaking in through the roof, there's paint peeling off the ceiling and brown spots that I believe are mold. I've had an adverse reaction to it, a combination of allergies and skin problems. The wall in the attic caved in, several windows are broken, and water backs up in the sink during laundry. He is fully aware of these problems, but fails to fix any of them.

We received letters that said we have to be in court on the 19th. My mom was taking pictures of the house, inside and outside, to show what condition it's in. I don't think there's anything wrong with just taking pictures, apparently the landlord thinks there is. He said to my mother, something along the lines of, "What good is that going to do, you fucking mental case?" Again, unprovoked as usual...and this whole situation is frustrating beyond belief.

So my questions are: can he get in trouble for slander and harassment? As it's only been verbal and there's not really proof, I'm not sure of the laws on that. Also, I was wondering what happens during an eviction case, and one of my friends said they usually rule in favor of the tenant, is that actually true? By no means do I want to stay here, but I already have a lot on my plate and I'm very worried and nervous about going to court. I don't like talking in front of people, and the whole situation is just very stressful.

I'm sorry this was so long winded, I just wanted to make everything clear. Thanks to anyone who reads this, even if you didn't read the whole thing...I'm mostly looking for advice on the last part.

2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

Yes he can absolutely get in trouble for harrassing you and youre family. You are each other's witnesses. Even if its only verbal, the things you described are emotionally stressful. He has no right to insult you.
    The landlord HAS to provide proper living conditions. There's mold in the house and thats dangerous to you're health. This absolutely has to be fixed and if he refuses, he's simply not doing the job on his part.
    I can't see him winning this case or you getting evicted. Even when in court, you can make some time to find another place. I've dealt with a case like this, except I'm the landlords daughter and they were refusing to pay rent bc airplanes fly over the house in 10 000 meter altitude anf that bothered them.... It took over a year to get them evicted. I was a witness in court and the guy yelled at me and insulted me and brought up personal stuff that was completely irrelevant.
    The blood shot in my head and i started shaking nervously but the judge told him to shut up and to leave me alone.
    I know how stressful this is but there's no way the judge will be on his side. I hope this will be over soon!

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Thanks for taking the time to reply...I know I typed too much lol. Yeah, I don't know why he's doing all this...especially when we weren't even rude to him. If he wants us out he could have been civil about it. Him acting like this is just uncalled for. I doubt he'll win the case, but I definitely don't want to stay here afterwards. Not only because of my landlord, I just want to live in a better house. I hope that things aren't too stressful and it just gets done with quickly.

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I've heard that it can take up to 6 months to complete an eviction process. He can't just throw you guys out on the street overnight. And besides, most of those problems with the house are the landlord's responsibility, not the tenant's. Your mom was right to take pictures of the problems to bring to court as proof that he is a bad landlord. I don't know if you guys will be able to sue him for slander or harrassment, but they can definitely force him to fix that stuff and keep him from throwing you out right away, but at the same time the guy sounds like a dick and it would be well worth it to find some place else to live in the long run. I know it can take a while to find a suitable place and that's why the law usually allows tenants to stay beyond the date that a landlord sets, because they shouldn't be allowed to just throw you out and make you homeless without giving you enough time to move.

I'm sorry that you're going through all this :hug:
    Don't worry, you didn't type too much, and I wouldn't worry about the court case if I were you. I believe everything will work out okay in the end, and I'm here for you if you ever need to talk.

5. Witty_Sarcasm

He's just making it more difficult for himself, and it will end up costing him a lot. I can't wait to find a new place, and hopefully it will be soon. I'm already talking to you, but thanks for the offer lol. :p

6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Lol, I know... I'm just saying, if you ever want to bitch to me about your landlord...

7. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Eviction laws vary state by state as far as I know. We were evicted from our last home and yes, we had to get out of the house in under a month. (Ordered by the court and all) It may be more or less depending on local laws. Just familiarize yourself with them. Otherwise, you have a good case on your side. I don't know about whether the court usually favors in the tenant, but whether or not it is true what your landlord is doing certainly breaks some laws. He sounds like one of those landlords that expects all his tenants to believe he can do whatever he so pleases simply because he is the landlord. If you rent for most of your life, you will find that you'll come across these people from time to time. These are the hardest landlords to deal with as they'll be at your home all hours of the day, complaining about the simplest of things, threatening to evict you for the silliest reasons, and simply harassing you. They assume that because they own the house you live in, they own you and your family, too. (At least, that's what it seems like) Which is not true. Even though you're the tenant and do not own the property, you still have rights. I did a quick Google search and found this for you:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/tenantlandlord.pdf

It is a LOT to read. (Eviction process starts on page 13) But you might find something helpful. Good luck. It sounds like you can win this case as he has clearly broken some laws during your time spent there.

8. Witty_Sarcasm

Thanks for the information, SharkDogs. I'll definitely check that link out and get myself familiarized with the state laws for eviction. I doubt anyone would put up with his crap, and that's why his son will be moving in here. At the very least, I hope he learns it's not ok to treat people that way.